1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do (or should) Toyota dealers provide courtesy charging for Toyota Primes and Plug-ins?

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by SHDL, Feb 1, 2018.

1. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Who's going to be at the dealer all day charging?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sales weasels who drive plug ins = 0.

William Redoubt likes this.
  3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Perhaps that is because some of them keep their cars forever. Mine still has a Gen 1 Prius!

m.wynn, bisco and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you're fortunate to have a prius driving sales weasel, mine have always been tundra, and one sienna.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Nissan, Ford, GM, and others provide "free" charging at their participating dealerships; even to other brands, just need to ask. I don't and won't; only charge at home. Every new car I've purchase regardless of manufacture has delivered the vehicle with a "free" and full tank of fuel. That's a lot of overhead too but that's just one of the costs of doing business.

Nothing is free; even the air we breathe comes at a cost (sadly).

Rmay635703 and pilotgrrl like this.
  6. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    1) Not sure how common this is. Our local dealership has had a one L2 charging station since 2013 then upgraded to three of these last year. They don't have official signage, but they typically want to use them for new vehicle charging and when you come in for sales/service. Squatting would almost certainly be discouraged, though.
    2)That would be nice.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  7. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota cannot require dealers to have the chargers because the dealers are independent of Toyota legally.

Geo Dude and dubit like this.
  8. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    One could imagine a few dealers worried about using a customer's L1 EVSE before delivery to charge up. But new L1 EVSE can be had for $200 each, so it would be relatively inexpensive for the dealership to buy 3-5 to keep their fleet of Prime charged up overnight.

pilotgrrl and Andyprius1 like this.
  9. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    John L Sullivan in Roseville, Ca does have a L2 charger. When I bought the Prime, I-asked them to charge it, they complied but may not have thought of it themselves. ........? SAD

L1, 120 Volts does not need a charger. Just plug it into a outlet.

How does one know the car and HV battery are totally serviceable if it’s not charged ? The customers obligation is to demand a full charge before test driving. You are in charge!

Dealers worry about everything, initiated by ignorance, fueled by fear. A sad lot. They even tell you things that are untrue, they make them up on the spot.

#29 Andyprius1, Feb 3, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2018
    pilotgrrl and iplug like this.
  10. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    We have the same local dealer. They have 3 now as of last year.
    Still need a level 1 EVSE, one can’t plug straight into a standard outlet with an extension cord, for example.
    When I purchased my Plug-in Prius there 6 years ago I was the first plug-in they sold to a residential customer. They did not have a level 2 charging station yet, so when they called to let me know it had arrived and was ready for delivery I asked the dealer to use the level 1 EVSE in the car to charge it up fully before I picked it up in a few hours. He said sure. When I got there it was not charged. :(

pilotgrrl and Andyprius1 like this.
  11. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    So you "Don't and won't" only charge at home, and have no problem sucking electrons like a leech expecting someone else to pay for it. ---- Not cool ----

Surely your not like the person I mentioned in Post #14.

If you are, please go somewhere else because your not doing anything but giving everyone else a bad day. And and don't act like an entitled snowflake, because nobody should be required as a "courtesy" to pay for your driving. Now if a dealer offers it for free fine, but if they don't, well don't go "expecting" them to.

As for a new vehicle purchase, Toyota requires them to provide you with a full tank of gas. If I remember correctly, it even says it on the windows sticker. They don't however pay for that themselves as it's reimbursed by Toyota at a quarterly set rate. Or at least it used to be when I worked at the dealership.

As for the air I breathe, I beg to ask how that is costing me cash. I'm not super old yet and I was a former smoker, but I'm not hauling around an oxygen tank just yet.

#31 dubit, Feb 3, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    Andyprius1 and pilotgrrl like this.
  12. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a copy of Gulf States Region's Pre-Delivery and it states clearly that only 4 gallons of gasoline be provided with new purchase....not a full tank...but they always fill it up. However, I have not found or read anywhere that states a Plug-In be delivered fully charged...though that might be a wise move too. As for expecting a Dealership to provide a free bump for PHEVs...just because? Come on people.

Instead of arguing these right or wrongs among ourselves, I suggest addressing the issue at the targeted Dealerships and/or Regions where you do spend your money might yield better results.

Geo Dude and pilotgrrl like this.
  13. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I can agree with addressing the issue as you state. I would like to provide a picture of my own Prius C windows sticker. You'll see that it does clearly state "full tank of gas". (Chicago region vehicle)

Attached Files:

14. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You're jumping to so many conclusions, I'll just end this here.

Costs can come in many forms besides monetary. Congrats on the quitting smoking (BTDT). (y)

Andyprius1 likes this.
  15. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I plugged my 2012 straight into a normal outlet, both with and without a extension cord, at my local Fitness place, 2 different locations. For about three years. Or, Am I misinterpreting what you are saying.

Toward the rear, just opposite new truck sales there is a open 120V outlet, probably irrelevant now but still available to any plug-in. Iv plugged in there quite often. When ever I’m looking at new models I always do that.

#35 Andyprius1, Feb 4, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2018
  16. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    But you had to use your J1772 charging cord/adapter (EVSE), right? It came with your car. I mean to say without that you could not take an extension cord and plug that directly into the J1772 receptacle you use to charge your vehicle. You could use an extension cord to extend the range of your EVSE, but you shouldn’t be able to connect without the EVSE. This would be different than say some lawn equipment that you could plug an extension cord directly in to.

So I was suggesting dealers could pickup a few of these slow J1772 level 1 EVSE cords/adapters for $200 if they didn’t want to invest in the more expensive L2 240v stations.

Geo Dude and Andyprius1 like this.
  17. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The 2016 Prius I bought from Pauly Toyota in Crystal Lake, IL (which originally had been shipped to Grossinger Mid-Town Toyota in Chicago) came with a full tank of gas, as did my Camry V6 LE and my Gen 2 Prius, both of which I bought through an auto broker in Centennial, CO.

Gulf States Toyota is stingy.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

dubit likes this.
  18. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The art of Diplomecy

Wrong spelling? spell check did it. Diplomacy, SC and I agree.

#38 Andyprius1, Feb 4, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    fotomoto likes this.
  19. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Now I understand what you meant. All Prius plugins come with a charging cord that can be used at 120 Volts.
    Even tho I have a L2 charger at home, I still carry the one that came with the car, just in case.... I cannot even envision, in any way using or needing any kind of extension cord at a dealership. There are of course various places where L1 and L2 charging is available. Extensions are unnecessary and not feasible at Dealer.

But thru the enormity of the company, Toyota can suggest good business practices and probably all dealers would comply. This way dealers would sell more, they would then know more and Toyota and customers would be happy.

#39 Andyprius1, Feb 5, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2018
    pilotgrrl likes this.
  20. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota US has already "suggested" ( & marketed) that the Prime would be sold in all states. The private distributors have refused to comply.
    Saying probably all dealers would comply does not mesh with the current reality in the US, unfortunately.

Geo Dude and pilotgrrl like this.