1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do (or should) Toyota dealers provide courtesy charging for Toyota Primes and Plug-ins?

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by SHDL, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    1st Para,
    I agree totally, to argue about it is rediculous. 2nd. Para: It’s always good business acumen to encourage customers to visit, look around, and purchase.

pilotgrrl and Prodigyplace like this.
  2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree but it should not be expected, just like people should not expect Toyota's official shop manuals or diagnostic software to be free. Toyota has set up a subscription service for both of those.
    But we are living in an "entitled" generation, unfortunately.

frodoz737 and Andyprius1 like this.
  3. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I like all your post, but for the most part, almost any fact cannot be proved or disproved, “ does not mesh with current reality” Current reality changes every day, hour. I use probably as a qualifier, as maybe, should, could,
    etc. Basically because I do not know all the facts.
    The private distributors refused to comply ( to their own detriment) Any time anybody refuses a new idea, it is PROBABLY regretted later on. Edison refused to listen to Tesla Morgan also! both were short term thinkers. Morgan only thought of profit, Edison didn’t know Ohms law, so it is said! Unfortunately, Tesla was in no way a businessman, so he died a pauper accepting charity. The Worlds LOSS !

pilotgrrl likes this.
  4. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I expect it will be regretted by those users who imported Primes into those regions when major service is required.

Geo Dude, pilotgrrl and Andyprius1 like this.
  5. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes,, Absolutely.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  6. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think a a prime should be delivered with a full tank of gas and a full charge but to expect a dealership to deliver free lifetime charging is another thing. It is a novelty now but in time it will be common then how do they say no.

Geo Dude, pilotgrrl and Prodigyplace like this.
  7. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    {edit}

ehh - nevermind - answered my own question. apologies.

8. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Why shouldn't a Prime be delivered with a full tank and a full charge by any dealer who sells one, regardless of where the customer lives?

If the customer is local, and the customer feels like they were treated well there, perhaps that will encourage them to take the Prime back to that dealership for service.

If the customer isn't local, and they feel like they were treated well there, perhaps that will encourage them to espouse the virtues of their Prime in particular and Toyota in general to the people they know.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Geo Dude, iplug, padroo and 1 other person like this.
  9. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sometimes things just fall through the cracks. When you walk in the door of a dealership the salesman you talk to doesn't know what you want to drive. I was a union guy, I blame it on poor management. lol
    Seriously though the people who run the dealerships that are not making these cars ready to test drive and go out the door fully prepped are just not getting the job done. It's all in the details.

When I bought my standard Prius I received an email survey and if you got one that would have been the time to post your complaint.
    I didn't have anything to complain about but a lot to thank the dealer for so I gave a 5 star survey.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  10. ct89

ct89 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think (most) everyone here will agree that delivering the car with a full charge is a very nice thing for a dealer to do. Given the only thing a dealer needs to do to accomplish this is have the car near a 120V outlet and attach a cord, it is rather surprising how infrequently it happens.

Providing free car washes, charging, doughnuts, coffee, etc. are all things a dealer can either choose to do or not to do...They are free to run their business as they wish. The more they do, the more likely customers are to be happy and come back but each of these things comes with a business cost so they need to decide for themselves the ROI of these kinds of perks...

You can choose to do business with whichever dealer you wish. And if none of the Toyota dealers offer the type of hospitality you crave, there are certainly Honda or Nissan or Ford or other dealers who might.

Geo Dude and pilotgrrl like this.
  11. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Funny thing, the Nissan dealer near my Toyota dealer is set up with a public charging station and Toyota dealer doesn't. Nissan is ahead because of Leaf sales. Toyota needs to waken up.

12. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How would it make a difference in sales to have a charge station? The OP asked for it to be delivered with a charge, and the dealer clearly heard the request and did nothing. Sale still happened. No one will walk away because there is no charging station.

Its like this: I remember my boss one day being encountered in the hall by a tenant in his commercial building. She had complained about ants. He greeted her, and then told her he had sprayed for ants a few days before. She thanked him an said that she noticed they were gone. After she left he told me that he had not sprayed and that most people are satisfied if he tells them that he had. If he got multiple more complaints, he said he would eventually spray.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  13. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Let's do the math. Prius Gen 4 is 11 gallon tank. Assume the factory puts in 2 gallons to test and move the car onto a transporter. That leaves 9 gallons for the dealer to add. Say $4 a gallon (prices are rising!). That is $37 against a $22,000 sale (or more). That is less than 2/10ths of 1 percent of the sale. And it makes the customer feel good -- it is expected. However, handing out weekly tanks of gas to purchasers or owners of the "brand" would just be stupid, and would not be tied to a sale.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  14. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The issue is the "Prime" is still a very limited market with limited sales...especially outside the "green" States. Yes...it would be nice to deliver with a full charge, but my guess is for that few EV miles to get you home...it's just not worth their effort.

#54 frodoz737, Feb 6, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  15. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The last I checked Toyota no longer sells a BEV and the Leaf has no engine. How can Nissan be ahead of Toyota in an area that Toyota chose not to compete?:confused:

padroo likes this.
  16. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    It would be nice if they charged the car whenever they could (including service).

But for me and the new car :

Do I want the dealer to hold on to my brand new car for two more hours for charging ?

Hell no.

Give me the car.

padroo likes this.
  17. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    When the Prius hit the market back in the day of high gas prices I heard stories of dealers warming up and making sure the battery was charged to impress people test driving the high gas mileage.
    Does anyone remember this?

pilotgrrl and Prodigyplace like this.
  18. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @bisco might but I think he is enjoying the beach in Florida.;)

19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When we showed up for test drive they had ours running, but it was because the 12 volt battery was dead as a door nail.

pilotgrrl and padroo like this.
  20. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    And these are the people who specialize in cars sales and maintenance. So much for professionals.

Mendel Leisk likes this.