1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do (or should) Toyota dealers provide courtesy charging for Toyota Primes and Plug-ins?

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by SHDL, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

What State are you in, Your avatar says USA, If you want charging stations in the area you describe,
    Request them from the appropriate State Agency and they may be built in a couple of years, it all comes out of your taxes anyway, so, this is your right.

2. MMBH

MMBH Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium

It's in the post above ;) --- I tried that contacting the state media & PR people on Earth Day when they were promoting the EVs and biking and public transit... and nothing but crickets... plus I'm sure I'll be retired before they ever get around to putting anything in .... this state talks the talk, but they don't seem to actually follow their own suggestions....

HPrimeAdvanced and Andyprius1 like this.
  3. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I agree totally. They are really bystanders acting interested.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  4. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Or.... you could support a brand that is building their own infrastructure as well as supporting the public one :whistle:

To the OP, I would agree with others that Toyota should, at a minimum, have enough charging at their dealers so they can charge the vehicles they sell and have for test drives.
    Providing those charging stations to the public is a marketing choice. Would it be smart, I would say yes IF Toyota is serious about selling the Prime or other plugins.

5. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ideally, all dealers would like you to visit once. And that’s the day that you buy.

6. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We have a great dealer by us. They have ONE 240V charger, basically for their own use. If you want to charge at John L Sullivan, in Roseville, you have to ask, after repairs you have to ask, buying a Hybrid, you have to ask, if your low on charge, you have to ask, a test drive, you have to ask..........roughly I
    would catagorise them as “ Not With It “ !

7. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, just the fact that they HAVE a charger puts the, ahead of some.;)

Andyprius1 likes this.
  8. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I didn’t know it was that bad !

9. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Some dealers are great, some dealers are awful, some are very knowledgeable, while others are simply ignorant.

Some of the horror stories of GM dealers are far worse. Some of those dealers are outright hostile towards the Volt. From what I have heard here, at it sounds like ambivalence is the biggest factor for Toyota dealers, not hostility.

Andyprius1 likes this.
  10. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    When I went searching for a PiP, not a one of them was charged, also the gas tanks weren't filled. When I went for a Volt, not only were they charged, the gas tank were filled. I guess it's all where you go.

11. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Is there even one of these plug-in Toyotas that failed to sell because the dealer didn't charge it up?

Was there even one that sold because the buyer walked in thinking "Corolla" and the dealer steered them to the plug-in instead?

Cars on dealer lots don't usually get gassed up until the ink is dry on the contract- you don't want the gas going stale in the tank.

Additionally, they're not going to be inclined to mess with the accessories for fear of losing them, or some shrinkwrap queen hanging up a sale because the charge cord (or other accessory) wasn't virgin.

12. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a bit easier to sell a car when it is prepped to be tested for what it was intended.

13. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Overall I can't disagree with that, but I didn't get a full demonstration of the car I bought either. I have no idea how well the safety cameras work, or the airbags for that matter.

Most test drives (industry-wide) are quite short anyway- and this is especially true on low volume specialty cars. No dealer is going to want to rack up miles on the unsold stock just so somebody can figure out if it goes 20 or 30 miles per charge. It doesn't take that long to put a mile or two of electricity into the battery, and I understand the car can charge itself from gasoline. Knowing that, I think the whole problem goes away as long as the salesman knows to push that button a few minutes in advance.

Some low-volume high performance sport cars are sold without the possibility of test drives. It's just generally accepted that there is too much risk, and that the demo car would be too far depreciated just by the odometer even on an uneventful ride.

#173 Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, Jul 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  14. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I certainly wouldn't want to take a BEV on a test drive with just a few miles charged on the battery. ;)

15. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If Toyota ever builds a BEV, that will become relevant. Until then...

16. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Pretty much, for by then, I'll be driving someone else's BEV.

17. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    To your first question, yes.

When was the last time you went to test drive a car and the dealer gave you a car that had a dry gas tank?

18. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Never.

Now, I have had to wait between arriving for a scheduled test drive appointment and actually getting in the car and driving it. "We just need a few minutes to bring it around" or whatever.

I have no idea if they used the time to splash gas in the tank, run background checks against my license or wipe bird droppings off the door handle, and it doesn't really matter.

It doesn't take very long to put a few amps into the pack, even through the self-charge feature. It would be ideal if they had it all squared away ahead of time and it is okay to be disappointed if they aren't totally on the ball. But it's also nothing to go to war over.

And yes, I would absolutely insist on driving it in all-electric mode just to feel it out. But like most other features experienced in the context of a test drive, I wouldn't need more than a mile or so to evaluate it.

Installing a charger fit for a BEV is just going to jack up the overhead and make all the cars sold there cost a little more. All they really need to do is educate the salespeople on engaging that self-charge mode when they sign it out for the demo.

19. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I’d call it ignorance.

20. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, I think a newbie would be most impressed by that ( demo/charging )