1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do Prius Owners Hate People with Big Cars?

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Aeron, Sep 2, 2007.

1. patrickindallas

patrickindallas Shire rat

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Sep 2 2007, 11:07 AM) [snapback]505860[/snapback]</div>

JESUS HAROLD CHRIST!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Vroom vroom!!!

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    More pity and disgust than hate.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    We all have different priorities.
    For me, it breaks down like this: In 2006, the United States' crude oil imports were distributed as such:
    - 18% from Mexico
    - 14% from Canada
    - 10.8% from Saudi Arabia
    - 10.4% from Venezuela
    Add that up and you see that more than half of our imported oil comes from four key countries. In fact, more than 43% came from all 11 OPEC countries (of which I've only highlighted the two highest).

Americans are addicted to oil (our president said so January 31, 2006). And we're getting that oil from someone else. In my opinion, those people who continue to drive oversized vehicles are admitting that they are willing to pay more money to foreign countries than address their addiction. Those of us who actively work to curb our consumption are - in essence - telling the other countries to go f**k themselves.

Bibliography:
    Oil Imports by Country of Origin: http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/dnav/pet/pet_move..._im0_mbbl_m.htm
    2006 State of the Union Address: http://www.whitehouse.gov/stateoftheunion/2006/

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patrickindallas @ Sep 2 2007, 09:28 AM) [snapback]505869[/snapback]</div>
    I know. I feel dirty every time I open the hood. So much so I stopped driving it so I decided to sell it to my mechanic and great friend. The only nice thing about it is: It still has catalytic converters on it and it only gets 2mpg worse than stock. 14mpg vs 16mpg. That is still horribly inefficient though and I cannot in good concious drive it anymore.

In his defense, he is going to turn up the boost (it's at 18psi) and try for 800rwhp then tune it to run as clean as possible and keep the cats on it. :) Not bad for a stock 5.3L block and proper tuning.

5. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I own both a Prius and a big car (1996 Jeep Cherokee with a 4.0L 6-cyl engine, 18MPG)..

I lived through 4 winters in Buffalo, NY, and I can understand in some situations one needs one of those big cars.. When I lived up there I've never gotten stuck in the snow with the Cherokee-- Throw it in 4WD and it will run up and over 2-foot-high snowdrifts (which is necessary whenever the City sends a snowplow through your street and buries your car parked at the curb!).

Now that I live in a more temperate climate I drive a Prius. I still have my Cherokee though for the more treacherous winter days. B)

6. pottedmeat

pottedmeat New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Aeron @ Sep 2 2007, 04:52 AM) [snapback]505750[/snapback]</div>
    I could honestly give a spit about saving the planet, to be truthful about it. Sure, maybe there's a bit of global warming, but it won't matter much during my lifespan. And my children? Well, I don't have/want/need/expect any progeny, so they're safe. As for other people's children... C'mon, how many of you really like other people's children anyway?

No, drive whatever car you want. This particular car was made for driving on well-paved roads during long work commutes , trips to the grocery store, and bringing (other people's) kids to school. Hauling lumber, towing boats, and scaring bears in the woods is the job for a gasoline engine much larger than 76hp.

Of course, the trade-off is the ridiculous amount of gas you have to buy for that kind of vehicle to make it move... but hey, if that's the kind of car you need and can afford to keep it in gas, go for it. Me, I'll just be sure to wave at you as I drive past the Exxon.

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I feel that I should add to my previous post.

I have two good friends who are General Contractors. They have large trucks to satisfy their big needs. And I have no problem with that.
    My wife and I both come from farming backgrounds. As such, we have family on farms with large trucks that their livelihood.

So it would be wrong for me to say that there is no need for large vehicles.

8. cubbyg

cubbyg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi there. Not quite sure why you are on a Prius chat web site. Since you are posting your question, I feel like asking a few questions of you.

I hope that as I look (up) at you in your large overpowered vehicle you are not too angered at me for slowly accelerating from a stop, slowing down as you quickly pass me so I do not emplode the bumper of the vehicle ahead at the long line of traffic or already at the red stoplight. Please do not be angered at me for only using 10 gallons of gas to go almost 500 miles between fill-ups.

When all the speculation and heresay about global climate change boils away in atmosphere as we continue to overheat our planet, take pride in knowing that a few tried and others did not!

9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pottedmeat @ Sep 2 2007, 02:30 PM) [snapback]506007[/snapback]</div>
    I have to wonder how much you actually know about evironmental science. You do realize that a person's choice to drive a gass guzzler gos well beyond contributions to global warming right? I would argue that it is not a persons right to drive whatever they want when that choice effects the economy and other peoples health in negative ways.

10. apolloxbgt

apolloxbgt New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Sep 2 2007, 01:21 PM) [snapback]505934[/snapback]</div>
    You build a twin turbo 800hp peice of art, and you feel dirty,Wth??

So you just woke up one day and decided to have an environmental conscience , did you start to question your sexuality that day too?I mean you that would have taken some time to put together and then just flip,weird.

11. echase

echase New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Aeron @ Sep 2 2007, 04:52 AM) [snapback]505750[/snapback]</div>
    I can't speak for other prius owners. I don't frown upon drivers of guzzlers.

I hope when thier vehicle has served it's useful life they will cosnider a more efficient alternative, appropriate to thier use. If you haul six guys around regularly, and work on a machismo-heavy job site where your vehicle defines your virilty, a chevy suburban may be appropriate to your use. I do hope that environmental impact will play a factor in your next purchase decision.

So, no, when you pull up to me at a light, I'm not thinking bad things about you. If you tailgate up to that light, then rev your engine, I will definately think you are an A$$H013, but that's more based on your behavior than choice of vehicles.

For what it's worth, people in larger vehicles do tend to drive more aggresively, something about the sense of security they get up there. Whatever.

12. apolloxbgt

apolloxbgt New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Sep 2 2007, 11:46 AM) [snapback]505880[/snapback]</div>
    And that about sums up the smugness of your typical hybrid driver in one line.

Do you guys consider the production materials and process involved with your hybrids before patting each other on the back for leaving a smaller environmental footprint??

Do you honestly believe that because your cars save a little gas they are really so much better for the environment . What percentage of the battery pack is recyclable? What is the best way to dispose of the parts that arn't,and how long do they take to break down?

There is more to being environmentally friendly than the amount of gas you burn.

13. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Apolloxbgt @ Sep 2 2007, 08:57 PM) [snapback]506147[/snapback]</div>

It was a gradual process that started with a real education and data collection in the field. I started racing when I was 19 and had a '90 454SS truck, a supercharged '87 Mustang GT, a heads/cam/nitroused '00 Trans Am, a bolt-on '00 C5 Vette then I started racing the trucks and had a rear-mount turbo, then a supercharger and finally a twin-turbo kit on the big truck. After seeing the damage done by careless use of fossil fuels it became hard to live with my choices and I decided to practice what I preach.

Questioning my sexuality? Hardly.. Some habits are too fun to give up ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hef has quite the collection of exotics at his estate. ;)
    [​IMG]

My sanity? Maybe... lol
    [​IMG]

14. echase

echase New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Apolloxbgt @ Sep 2 2007, 11:57 PM) [snapback]506147[/snapback]</div>
    Funny the way some drivers associate sexuality with vehicles. :p

I say, what kind of lady would ever want:
    [​IMG]

when she could have:
    [​IMG]

15. apolloxbgt

apolloxbgt New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Sep 2 2007, 10:07 PM) [snapback]506134[/snapback]</div>
    I'm sure that getting rid of all the "gas guzzlers"won't have a detrimental effect on the economy either,/sarcasm off.

Take away all your gas guzzlers,you take away all the jobs of those that build them,the industries can't retool overnight.I wonder what that would do for the families of those workers health?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Greenkeeper @ Sep 2 2007, 11:15 PM) [snapback]506153[/snapback]</div>
    That was obviously said in jest,it was more to point out the extreme change in direction that he has taken with his choice of transport.

16. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Apolloxbgt @ Sep 2 2007, 09:10 PM) [snapback]506151[/snapback]</div>

The studies that I have seen show that the majority of pollution attributed to a vehicle is put out after production and as such fuel efficiency plays a critical role in it's total lifetime output. A large portion of the battery is recyclable. Anyone who thinks ANY car is evironmentally friendly should have their head examined but some cars are more friendly than others. Bashing a Prius because it is not perfectly clean and continuing to drive old dirty technology is equally stupid IMO. Like I've stated before, the best fix is to redesign our cities so cars are not needed on a daily basis and increase city densities so that light/heavy rail transportation systems are viable.

Anything else you would like to add? I study this stuff in and out of school so I'm fairly well informed on the subject. :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Apolloxbgt @ Sep 2 2007, 09:21 PM) [snapback]506157[/snapback]</div>
    The technology is here so retooling time is no real argument against doing better and ditching antiquated technology. As for the economy. Do you know how much is spent on medical expenses for debilitating effects of air pollution alone? Lost productivity for sick workers? Perverse subsidies to oil companies and the like? No my friend, there is much more to it than some of the radio alking heads would like you to blieve. There ae plenty of business leaders and enteprenuers that are doing it right and the only reaosn the movement is not as big as it could be is because there are too many old men with antiquated educations running the show who enjoy being rich at the expense of others.

Do a google search for Ray Anderson of Interface Inc. and Amory Lovins of the Rocky Mountain Institute for more info on the job potentials and economic bonuses for alternative energy, fuel efficiency, and business redesign.. The shareholders of Interface Inc. seem to be happy going green. ;)

17. echase

echase New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Apolloxbgt @ Sep 3 2007, 12:10 AM) [snapback]506151[/snapback]</div>
    You mean sterotypical, right? I don't mean to be smug or anything, but those kind of generalizations tend to reveal a shollow thought process. :unsure:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Apolloxbgt @ Sep 3 2007, 12:10 AM) [snapback]506151[/snapback]</div>
    Actually many of "us guys" have. The report you may be thinking of has been largely discredited. While there was a tremendous R&D effort that went into the development of the Prius, those environmental costs have already been incurred. The rewards of that reasearch (such as the PSD [look it up, it's very cool technology] ) will continue to have benefit for many generations of automobile to come. Also, as more hybrid vehicles are sold, the environmental costs of this R&D become lower per unit.

I beleive that saving a lot of gas is one of the many reasons the prius is much better for the environment. Also, this vehicle has very clean emmisions (lower smog, not just CO2), and is exremely reliable. I just read yesterday about a guy who has 316K miles on his prius with the orignal battery, and has had no major maintainence issues. So, lower maintainence needs (and thier associated environmental costs) and longer expected vihicle life also play a great role in the green-ness of the car.

There is another factor. By driving a Prius we are supporting a move forward in automotive technology, and toward a more sutainable future. We are also making a statement that these issues matter enough to us to put our money where our mouth is, and suffer through the wrath of the naysayers.

Good questions! If you ask out of geniune interes I might be forced to strike my shallow/sug comment :unsure:

I do know that due to exceptional research Toyota has developed a system that takes great care of the battery while it is in the car, and they rarely need replacement. Toyota pays hundreds of dollars to recover batteries from cars that have been wrecked, so they clearly do recycle a lot of the valuable materials in them. I would love to know how much, and what they do with the rest.

Anyone?

Amen to that! But on this forum, it's a very central topic.

I hope you take they time to read through some of the very informative posts on this forum, and to get to know this vehicle better. It's an amazing piece of technology, and a real joy to drive.

Thanks for joining PriusChat!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Apolloxbgt @ Sep 3 2007, 12:21 AM) [snapback]506157[/snapback]</div>
    I know, hence my smiley... but I had to say something since I touched on that in my previous post.

BTW: You have an impressive collection of guzzlers in your sig. It is great to know that these vehicles are all owned by one person. (They can only do so much damange with one driver! ) You are doing the planet a service by taking these vehicles out of the hands of people who would put high mileage on them. (Also, you clearly appreciate performance vihicles, so you will probably have more fun with them)

Chekc out some of the technology behind the prius... it's a pretty smart ride, and a might make a nice additon to your stable!

18. Aeron

Aeron New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cubbyg @ Sep 3 2007, 08:59 AM) [snapback]506018[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry for opening up such a can of worms. And no, im not a troll. :rolleyes:

Im not sure what your question is, but I will say this. I don’t look at the price of petrol when I fill up. I just fill up and pay and go on my merry way. I don’t have a clue what the MPG (“Litres per 100Kms†in Aus) figure is for either of my cars.

Now I don’t want you Prius owners to take offence to this (because that’s not what im here for) but from what I can tell, the only difference between me and a “Prius Owner†is that a Prius owner buys a car to get you from point “A†to point “Bâ€. They aren’t car enthusiasts. Cars aren’t their life. Where as myself, and other people like me, we buy a car to make a statement. To give us some identity and enjoyment when we drive. We don’t just want to drive from “A†to “Bâ€, we want to enjoy the drive. We love cars want something special. People stop me in car parks and ask me about my car and tell me how nice it is and how lucky I am to have it. But does that happen to you Prius owners? Im not saying it doesn’t happen, by the way. Its obvious that the Prius isn’t a performance car, and I guess its lack of performance is what turns people like me away from considering a Hybrid, such as the Prius.

I guess we all just have different priorities.

Here are my 2 cars…

402Hp
    [​IMG]

315Hp
    [​IMG]

19. Full Noise

Full Noise New Member

You look like a bit of a rev head to me, Aeron. Looks like I’ll have to buy a Prius just to make up for what you do to the planet with your guzzlers. When people ask you about your car, are any of them female? Is it true that cars like these can give me more luck with the ladies?

Regards,
    Full Noise

20. AussieOwner

AussieOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Aeron @ Sep 3 2007, 07:06 PM) [snapback]506225[/snapback]</div>
    Aeron, certainly we do have different priorities. Until I bought the Prius, I was like most drivers - I had a car to get me from "A" to "B". I have gone through a number of cars, but all of them we a means to an end - that of transporting me, and my friends/family around.

However, after buying the Prius, for the first time in nearly 40 years of driving, I am interested in a car. I am proud to say that I drive a Prius, and now engage some of the enthusiasts in the office with its finer points - in the same way that two of them "rave" about their Porsches, one about his Mini, and one about his Holden ute. :D They, in turn are asking if they can use me as their offset for their carbon footprint. :D

I am now enjoying my driving again - I am starting to change my way of driving - no longer as aggressive, a little more with my eye on the Fuel Efficiency, but I am finding that there is a challenge in trying to drive the Prius to minimise the amount of fuel used. I also do feel that I am making a statement with my car, and will happily tell anyone how great my car is, just the same as you will talk about your Fords.

Each to his own. :) :)