1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do Prius Owners Hate People with Big Cars?

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Aeron, Sep 2, 2007.

1. EnviroSafeForLife

EnviroSafeForLife New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Sep 2 2007, 11:07 AM) [snapback]505860[/snapback]</div>
    That truck is awesome !!!!! What are you selling it for and what are you upgrading too??

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Sep 4 2007, 08:45 AM) [snapback]506732[/snapback]</div>
    Daaaamn !! I hit 30 in less than 6 months, i hope i dont become your kind of 'educated' overnight !!!!!!! :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriuStorm @ Sep 5 2007, 06:24 PM) [snapback]507579[/snapback]</div>
    I would love a decent electric car like the ones you provided in your links but as far as im aware there are no decent ones out there, not here in Australia anyway..

If i could get a car with the same looks, handling, horsepower, performance, comfort, price plus be as cheap to run as a Prius i would get one in a heartbeat, but as it stands there is nothing out there

that Writespeed X1 one is like $100,000 and only has a 100mile range - looks like a good toy though but cant exactly replace a normal car !!

2. edxr8

edxr8 New Member

3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    edxr8
    Go away and do some research, I don't want the people on this forum thinking Australia is populated by stupid people. Where on this earth did you get the information that burning LP gas produces no emissions?
    If you are going to state something as fact do your research first.

http://www.fuelwatch.com.au/ this is a link to todays petrol prices in Perth.
    Right now the average price of ULP is $1.19 per litre and a cheapest of $1.14
    The average price of LPG is 54c and a lowest of 49c
    Lets stick to averages because you might not live close enough to the cheapest.
    Your 60 litre gas tank is the only fuel you have in your car, you said dedicated gas therefore you are removing the petrol system, right?
    Your 60 litre tank can only be filled to 80% so a dry fill will take 48 litres.
    I'll use the figures from the Green Vehicle Guide published by the Commonwealth Government. http://www.greenvehicleguide.gov.au/GVGPub...f1-8d972258e991
    Your XR8 has a rated fuel consumption of 13.7L/100km
    My Prius has a rated fuel consumption of 4.4L/100km (I beat this consistently.)
    There is 33% less energy in LPG than in petrol therefore you will take a 33% increas in consumption giving you a LPG consumption of 18.22L/100km.
    Given this I will get over 1000km from my fuel tank full of petrol and still have a litre in the bottom of the tank the cost of my petrol $52.36
    Your full tank of LPG will take you 263km range and the tank will be dry so you better run out in a petrol station. to cover the 1000km I covered on a single tank you need to refill 3 more times, total cost $25.92 for the first and each of the 3 subsequent fill ups giving a total of $103.68
    You have only used 182.22 litres of 192 litres you have purchased so you will have some leeway there to find gas.
    As the speed limits are the same for your gas burning V8 as they are for my Prius while you are stopped filling up 3 times I'll still be heading towards my destination.
    Who has the faster car now when driven legally?
    Who has the lowest fuel bill for the same distance?
    By the way your gas car produces slightly more CO2 than on petrol so your CO2 emissions will be well over double that of the Prius. http://www.greenfleet.com.au/transport/technical.asp
    As I said, my fuel cost over 1000km = $52.36 while you pay $103.68 to go the same distance. Congratulations.

4. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Sep 5 2007, 08:18 PM) [snapback]507739[/snapback]</div>
    Not necessarily stupid people, but we certainly have had our share of newly registered trolls from down under in the last few days. It certainly smells like some sort of an organized effort.

5. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't look at me, I really have a Prius and I love it.
    I wonder what would happen if I converted the Prius to LPG?
    No reason I can't, only need a little gas tank too.
    Yes, one gets the impression it is a badly coordinated effort.

Does everyone see trolls the same as me?
    [​IMG]

6. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Aeron @ Sep 3 2007, 05:06 AM) [snapback]506225[/snapback]</div>
    I know you say you don't want us to take offense at your statement, but I'm going to have to go ahead and take offense to it.

You are wrong wrong wrong about me, and probably all the other Prius owners here who regularly post here.

Could not be more wrong. I drive my car for pleasure as well as for utility... Why would you assume this? We do not treat the Prius like a toaster oven. If we were completely indifferent about the car, why would we bother to post here regularly?

We are enthusiastic about our cars, the technology under the hood, and we love to drive it.

Just because we don't all worship at the altar of all mighty Horsepower doesn't mean that we aren't enthusiastic about the car.

YES. This has happened to all Prius owners, I'm sure, and I'd even wager it has happened to some of us WAY more than it has happened to you. Regular people on the street, in other cars know about the Prius, and they are excited when they see one too. Prius owners wave to each other when we pass each other on the street.

What is your implication? That people who buy a Prius are totally indifferent about what their car says about them? You automatically assume that just because the Prius's statement isn't the same as yours (big engine, loud noise, fast, gas guzzling) that it automatically is Point A to Point B?

My Prius is NOT A TOASTER. Just because the statement the Prius makes is not the same as what your car says, doesn't mean that we're nothing but utilitarians.

7. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Aeron @ Sep 3 2007, 04:06 AM) [snapback]506225[/snapback]</div>
    Well, this thread certainly has been interesting to read. Thank you for sparking some different discussion. BTW - Welcome to PC. Maybe a Prius isn't your kind of car -- at least not right now.

I found your statements above very interesting. I don't think Prius owners buy their cars just to get from A to B. In fact, my neighbor had to buy that kind of car, and he bought a Honda Civic. A good choice for him in terms of total economics for his commute, but he doesn't drive it on the weekends (or for anything but the commute). Some Prius drivers just want great MPGs, but many are interested in the unique engineering, in the development of better and cleaner powerplants, in the new styling of the car, in the maximizing of interior space in relation to exterior space. Are these folks not enthusiasts? I think they (we) are, but perhaps in a way you've not previously considered. Glad to see that you are interested in at least taking a look!

I happen to think the Prius is an incredible performance car. It is the smoothest car I've ever driven. I am bothered now by old-fashioned automatic transmissions and inefficient gear boxes. It is the quietest car I've ever been in. I can drive through the forest and hear as much as when I'm riding my bike. People ask me about the car all the time, and they want to see it, ride in it and drive it. Performance? I guess there is more than one way to look at it!

As far as hating people with big cars is concerned, I can't say that's something shared by Prius owners any more than we share the same beliefs in God, or share the same preferences for ice cream flavors. People who work in the trades need bigger trucks. Famillies with several children need <strike>SUVs</strike> :lol: minivans or larger cars. Of course, I still haven't found a valid reason for anyone other than the U.S. Army who really needs a Hummer, or why anyone in the world needs any car with an engine large enough to pull an over-the-road trailer unless s/he needs a Mack truck to get it over the mountains.

Still, I wouldn't legislate engine displacement before I found that there were valid and proven alternatives. Hmm .. like a Prius? Well, some day, we will have shown the rest of the world there is real value in caring about the health effects of our actions and conserving while not wasting resources.

Keep on reading, asking questions and being open in your inquiry.

8. edxr8

edxr8 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Sep 6 2007, 11:18 AM) [snapback]507739[/snapback]</div>

well i do admit looking back at my last post that i may have stuffed up on some of my maths. but in saying that, not all of your info is 100% accurate either.
    i also have to say, the only reason i signed on here was to hang crap on the peanut in another now closed thread who says that he has raced a japanesse sports bike and beaten it... being the proud owner of a sports jap bike, i know that my bike is cappable of a 10 or 11 second 1/4 mile time versus the posted time of another member of this site of 17.8 seconds... now who's a dumb-arsed troll????? i dont even have to take m y socks off to do that maths.....

i think that cars are for more than just going from point A to B and enjoy the whole culture thats surrounds modified performance cars. and when i talk modified, i mean more than a dash mat and TRD stickers.
    i prefer to have my cars stand out as something different so i dont blend in and become just another farken "Lemmings" A to B commuter...

rant over... seeya

9. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(edxr8 @ Sep 6 2007, 02:35 PM) [snapback]507793[/snapback]</div>
    I think I'm a lot closer to the mark than you are. You see I just took a few seconds to check what I was posting. I also owned a dedicated gas car but mine had a 100 litre tank, 80L useable.

hahaha if this really was the case why stick with a boring old design falcon or bommadore? Wouldn't you want an exotic or something that others in your street didn't own?

How many people in your stret have a 4 door falcon??? I'm the only one in my street driving in the pointy end of technology in a Hybrid.

Stick with the COMMON cars, that's fine. There aren't enough Toyotas for everyone to have one.

10. edxr8

edxr8 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Sep 6 2007, 01:22 PM) [snapback]507799[/snapback]</div>
    when i said the tank is a 65L tank, thats what i am talking about. it holds 65 litres of LPG not 52....
    your dedicated gas car is probably a stock standard BA falcon taxi pack. not exactly talking the same gas setup. the one i am talking about replaces fuel injectors completely with LPG injectors and the a completly adjustable computer to control it. i know of a supercharged car that had the same setup and then removed it because some one said petrol was so much better and then only gained 30km (and not the 30% you mentioned) per tank and no extra hp, but now pays more than twice the price for a tank.

and as far as other people in the street havin the same car, mate you dont know me from a bar of soap. i have a XE falcon (even older) with a 7.5L v8, no one else in street has one of them. infact i dont think i have seen another big block in my suburb... there maybe other 4 door falcons in the street, but they are like most "lemmings" A to B drivers and are dead standard taxi packs for driving kids to footy practice, and definatly not the sport variants...

i see you had no comment on the penut mate of yours that can beat sports bikes tho...

and as far as a prius being in the "exotic" class, i reckon you have you head up your arse... exotic being reserved for cars like ferrari or lamorghinni and so on... do you really think kids see your car going down the road and say "WOW.... when i am old enuf, i want one of those cool Prius" pffft maybe you know some kids that do, but i reckon they are big fans of the purple telly-tubby aswell

so you can keep your prius and i will keep my pride...

cheers....

11. EnviroSafeForLife

EnviroSafeForLife New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Sep 6 2007, 12:22 AM) [snapback]507799[/snapback]</div>
    mwhaha funniest post ever !!!

"hahaha if this really was the case why stick with a boring old design falcon or bommadore? Wouldn't you want an exotic or something that others in your street didn't own?"

please tell me you dont think your Prius is anymore interesting than a falcoon or commondore, or even remotely exotic??

In my entire circle of friends, workmates, family members, clients, neighbours, neighbouring businesses there is only one person who owns a Prius so I very much doubt there "aren't enough Toyotas for everyone to have one" ... this doesnt make it exotic, rare or even sought after...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(edxr8 @ Sep 6 2007, 01:01 AM) [snapback]507809[/snapback]</div>
    haha good post, where are you from?? maybe we should get that one person i know with a Prius to give you a run in 1st gear on your jap bike?? il see if i can borrow it, hope i dont get too many chicks giving me attention though

12. Aeron

Aeron New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(a priori @ Sep 6 2007, 02:09 PM) [snapback]507763[/snapback]</div>
    I thank you, and others, for your intelligent replies. I’ve read all of them.

I’d just like to point out that what I said when I didn’t want to offend anyone was intended to be snide in any way, hence my disclaimer at the start. It was simply the view that many “outsiders†share. By the way, I found this forum after it was emailed to me by a friend of mine who is thinking of buying a Prius next year.

13. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(edxr8 @ Sep 6 2007, 03:31 PM) [snapback]507809[/snapback]</div>
    You never said 65 litres, you said 60.
    Well I have to break this up as there is too much crap to deal with in one go.
    It matters not the size of the tank Einstein, the fuel consumption is still crap. Even with an extra 17 litres per tank you still have to stop twice for gas.
    I converted a Toyota, you know I'm not ordinary enough to drive a fowl-coon by choice. Unfortunately I have to drive a bombadoor for work.
    I don't care what system you have, the link was there to a government site with accurate energy densities listed. Gas has 33% less energy in it than petrol. Get over it sport, that's a fact.
    I couldn't give a rat’s toss what your mate did with his car.

You're right, I don't know you but for the stupid comments you chose to post on here without thinking or researching your facts. But for some strange reason I know other people in your street have fowl-coons, don't they, you know, boring four door family cars like your one, although yours has some stripes and plastic crap bolted on it, oh and some really impractical wheels for driving on Australian roads but each to his own. At the end of the day it’s dull. I know you can squeeze some pretty big truck motors under bonnets, which must play merry hell with the handling but you still have the same speed limits as the rest of us. I'm guessing you have 4 valve heads and quad cams on it too. So what? Where has this mythical car materialised from? If it was real you would have been braging about it before. I wonder if you even have a bicycle? Not that there is anything wrong with cycling.

Take that up with the poster, it has nothing to do with me. You see unlike the V8 set we Prius owners are leaders not followers. We chose to go out on the edge while the children play with old technology. Push rods and rockers, hahaha funny. You see because we are all free thinkers not sheep I don't have to agree with everything another prius owner says. Who are you to call anyone a peAnut anyway clown? He may well be Bill Gates or a researcher about to find the cure for the common cold.

This is a quote from a dictionary
    Exotic - foreign, with the connotation of excitingly foreign.
    My prius is fully imported, however I never said my Prius was exotic I said : - Wouldn't you want an exotic or something that others in your street didn't own?
    I was talking about you not me and your boring family sedan not my Prius. Lets face it, the Prius must have more appeal than a V8, your here checking out Prius, I'm not on the forum you guys all came from checking out dinosaur cars.
    I didn’t buy my car to please some little kids on the side of the road but if that is where your mind is at, fair enough.
    Please be careful, people who use their car to bolster their ego or pride tend to have fragile egos. Don't break it, delicate little thing.

Have a great life. Look forward to seeing you when you are all grown up.
    Oh, maybe you and you sheep follower mates could be better spending your time getting some reading comprehension training. They don’t teach it in school these days I know, what a shame.

14. Hobbs

Hobbs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    To go back to the original question

I don't mind people driving big cars. I just think they all should be hybrids.

I hope that people who drive scotters (smal motorbikes) don't hate me.

For me its not a matter of how much fuel you use, it is how efficiently do you use it.

Is Rolls Royce developing a hybrid?

15. AussieOwner

AussieOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Aeron,

Got to thank you for starting this thread. Apart from it being very much an Aussie flavour, there has been some good discussions, including Pat's and EDXR8's little tiff. In fact, I think this shows that some Prius owners can get just as dogmatic as any other enthusiast.

In fact, that is really the number one problem of enthusiasts - they think that what they have is the best, and that everyone else is a mug. ;)

I also like Top Gear. I accept that Jeremy only considers cars that do better than 100mph, and sit low on the ground as the only thing worthwhile, but that is just him. He stuffs up a lot of other things and this makes it a fun show. The fact that he does stuff things up shows that he is human and that sometimes his views are just wrong - but don't expect him to change those views, because he is an enthusiast.

16. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well said Eric.
    Who's having a tiff? I'm not having a tiff.
    It's just a a passionate discussion.
    Who will win? I will because I'm right. :)

17. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Aeron @ Sep 3 2007, 05:06 AM) [snapback]506225[/snapback]</div>
    Are you serious? The Prius has amazing performance. I easily pass other cars on a two-lane road, and my Prius gets better gas mileage than my BMW motorcycle. That is simply amazing performance.

You are measuring the wrong things when you refer to performance.

Harry

18. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It also gets better mileage than my 650 motorbike, however the bike will out accelerate the prius easily. I should point out there aren't may production cars the bike won't out accelerate.

19. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Sep 6 2007, 08:49 AM) [snapback]507870[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, if I want high performance, I get it from my BMW bike, which is capable of 45 mpg at travel speeds on the Interstate, and 50 mpg on slower two-lane roads. I still find it astonishing that a mid-sized car with air-conditioning running gets better fuel mileage than a fuel-efficient motorcycle.

Harry

20. AussieOwner

AussieOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Earthling @ Sep 6 2007, 10:39 PM) [snapback]507868[/snapback]</div>
    Harry, you raise a good question here. Just what is "performance"? Is it FE? Is it the ability to move at excessive speed (the 100+mph club)?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Sep 6 2007, 10:49 PM) [snapback]507870[/snapback]</div>
    Is it acceleration? or is it something that you need to get out the computer to calculate, like HP vs weight to move? (after all big cars need big engines to move all that mass).

If you are someone like Clarkson in Top Gear, then performance is how fast the car will go, especially sideways around a corner, whereas I think most Prius owners consider FE the key factor.

So I am going to throw this back at you Aeron... Can you define what you mean by "performance"?