1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do Prius Owners Hate People with Big Cars?

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Aeron, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Aeron

Aeron New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AussieOwner @ Sep 6 2007, 11:03 PM) [snapback]507881[/snapback]</div>
    Sure thing AussieOwner. When I talk about a cars performance, im talking about it in terms of being a "high-performance car", not how it performs in an MPG (L/100Kms) test, because lets be honest, the main priority of High Performance cars isn’t low fuel consumption. Im with Clarkson, I measure a cars performance by how well it rides, corners at speed, braking performance and feedback given to the driver from the chassis. And that’s about it.

So ask yourself this question, “Would my car be fun to take to a racetrack and thrash it round there for the day?†If the answer is NO, then you don’t have what I would consider to be a “Performance Carâ€. If your answer is YES then chances are you don’t have a Hybrid.

2. Aeron

Aeron New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Sep 7 2007, 12:35 PM) [snapback]508298[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry mate, but that post kind of shows how very little you actually know about V8Supercars. The rule is that V8Supercars run a 5litre single cam V8 engine (remembering that its not portrayed as a production car series at all), built within some very stringent rules and regulations. The engine Toyota wanted to run was not a 5litre or a single cam pushrod V8, so naturally it was denied. All categories have rules and regulations. Who’s to say the Toyota engine would produce more, or less, power? Would it need to rev to more than 7500RPM (which V8Supercar are limited to) to produce a horsepower figure that would make it competitive? Or would we need to change that rule too? The problem with changing and introducing new machinery is the cost of development. To buy a V8Supercar engine would cost you over $100,000 (AUD). And they produce 630+HP. Not bad for what you call “dinosaurs made by Holden and ford†hey.
    The other reason that other manufacturers aren’t involved is because Holden and Ford are stakeholders of the series. Obviously they wouldn’t wants anyone else to join “their seriesâ€, but I wouldn’t rule out Toyota, Mitsubishi or even Chrysler joining the series in the next 6 years (which I think would be great), but there would have to be a major redevelopment of the series and the rules that govern it.

And one reason that Toyotas sales are so good in Australia is because of Toyotas huge fleet market. Without it, Toyota Aus would be in the same trouble as Ford and Holden. But we’ll save that one for another day.

[/off_topic]

3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You're funny.
    What is the main manufacturer represented in the government fleets across Australia?
    Did you ever wonder why a company interested in making maximum profits would buy the best, most reliable car available to them?

From: - http://www.caradvice.com.au/1481/motor-veh...up-for-january/
    So how did the manufacturers rank? No suprise in the top 3 once again:

Toyota 16,238,
    Holden 11,258,
    Ford 7501.
    Mazda 6627

Holey smoke that's a lot of fleet sales!!

I keep finding good stuff
    While Toyota surges ahead as the largest and most successful car manufacturer in the world, some of the best known brands continue to struggle.
    and further down the page: -
    The study focuses on the owners of vehicles up to three years old (cars manufactured in 2004 or later) and compiles an overall customer satisfaction index or CSI based on the vehicle owners’ answers to a range of questions.

From a possible CSI score of 1000, Mazda received a total of 799 to rank in at first place whilst Honda was a close second with 793 whilst Toyota rounded out the top three with 775 closely followed by Subaru and Nissan.

The average CSI of all vehicles surveyed was 768 - Mitsubishi (766), Ford (761), Holden (755), Hyundai (745) and Kia (736) all finished below this benchmark.
    Bit sad seeing Ford and Holden keeping Kia and Hyundai company isn't it?
    Ford Australia lost over $40 million in 2006, while GM Holden lost over $146 million.

Sorry I can't find anything about fleet and private sales, perhaps you can tell me where you sourced the information that Toyota is selling more cars to companies and less to private buyers? Thankyou.

4. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Aeron @ Sep 7 2007, 02:41 AM) [snapback]508455[/snapback]</div>
    Not even the GS450h which is the closest performance hybrid (or do you guys not get a GS450h down under??).

6. Aeron

Aeron New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Sep 7 2007, 11:04 PM) [snapback]508469[/snapback]</div>
    You only have to speak to people in the industry to find out what is really going on mate. Toyota are offering huge discounts to fleet sales. That coupled with the fact that they have a larger range of cheap vehicles on offer is why their sales are number one. The fleet sales lost to Toyota from Ford and Holden is partly why their sales have fallen. The other reason is fuel prices, inflation and interest rates. That’s why companies are going for Toyotas. They can get them dirt-cheap. Plain and simple. And in a few years it’ll kill their re-sale value.

And I never said, "Toyota is selling more cars to companies and less to private buyers", what I said was "one reason that Toyotas sales are so good in Australia is because of Toyotas huge fleet market. Without it, Toyota Aus would be in the same trouble as Ford and Holden". And they would.

Go and ask people in the industry mate. Car dealers, Car Auctioneers etc... You'll find out.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 8 2007, 02:43 AM) [snapback]508570[/snapback]</div>
    No, we do get it in Australia. But it costs over $122,000 ($106,261 CAD) so its out of the question for most people.

Oh, and guys, a motorbike is out of the question.

7. Full Noise

Full Noise New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(a priori @ Sep 6 2007, 11:02 PM) [snapback]508366[/snapback]</div>
    G’day A priori,
    Thanks for your reply. You’re quite right, this is certainly my view, however, please note that I didn’t mention the Prius in the post as I’m well aware that they appeal to a slightly different demographic.

I’ve never been to Chicago, “although I’d love to go over there and have a look around some time†so I can’t speak for the way that people drive over there, but I’ll tell you a little bit about Melbourne and why I have the views that I have.

Compared to many here on this forum, I’m actually a fairly young bloke at the ripe old age of 38. I’m an interstate truck driver or “trucker†as they call them over there, and have been driving trucks for 18 years covering over 2,500,000 kilometres, so I do get to see the way that a lot of people drive in different states.

When I was a young boy, there was a particular dislike for Volvo drivers in this country as they were seen to be over cautious, unskilled, incompetent people that thought that driving a “safe†car would make up for their lack of skill and forward thinking behind the wheel. This is no longer the case with Volvo as they have completely changed their image. They also build a pretty decent car with a bit of style, as well.

I can assusre you that in Australia, Volvo have well and truly passed the baton on to Toyota.

Over here, the word Camry is enough to put a chill down the spine of any thinking motorist, truck drivers and motorcycle riders included. I will not burden you or the other good people on this forum with hundereds of examples I could give of Camry drivers doing what they do best, but I will say one thing. The cars that I mentioned in my previous post (in my opinion) all tend to have one common link. The personality of their owners.

As for the Prius, there are actually very few that are sold to private buyers in Australia. Most Prius - Prii ( I’m not sure what the collective noun is for these) go to government departments and believe me, it’s not hard to pick them on the road either.

Cheers,
    Full Noise

8. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Full Noise @ Sep 7 2007, 08:56 PM) [snapback]508837[/snapback]</div>
    Greetings, Full Noise!

I appreciate the reply and your attempts to respond to my concerns. I see that your earlier post did not include the Prius, but I must continue with my objection to your generalization about all of the people who would own and drive those cars.

I didn't picture you as an over-the-road trucker, given your comments, but I can see it gives you a certain perspective on cars and their drivers. I may have plenty more years on you, but I can't say I've driven so many miles. I'd best estimate my driving at about 350,000 miles.

Unlike many of my friends, I've not had the pleasure of visiting Australia. I hope one day to find my way there and have a visit with folks in Melbourne. Chicago is a waterfront city with a meto-area population nearing 10 million. Driving around here can be quite an adventure, particularly during winter snows and summer road construction. Drivers here are more patient than on our East or West Coasts, but traffic jams can be difficult. One month ago, on a Sunday night, I was held up in construction traffic on an Interstate highway. It took me two hours to travel 5 miles. Not very good mileage in the minivan -- the Prius would have been spectacularly better!

So it appears we part company on questions of style and value in cars. While Volvo makes a fine car, and I wouldn't object to having one surrepticiously placed in my garage, I wouldn't say their cars have any greater value or style than any other cars. The Prius is something quite different. It is a true departure from the standard automobile. Perhaps you could get a test drive in one just to see why those on this forum are so attached to something you find as style-less.

All the best to you,

a priori

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Aeron,
    There were once covered wagon races, and that era has gone by. Similarly, as peak oil continues on its merry way, your views of what's important from our current form of transportation will soon be realized by all ... that this view is as relevant to the future as covered wagon racers. It was a nice ride for 80 years or so, but times are changing. Hurry. Look to the future. It won't be the smell of burning rubber. In fact, if folks don't get on board soon, it's gona get ugly. Play time is over.

10. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Full Noise,

Your description of "Volvo Drivers" is more appropriate to the SUV driver here in the states, if one puts "or" between all the descriptors. My experience is the SUV driver typically is the reverse of your first descriptor, however, but is both of the last two descriptors. Actual Volvo drivers here can be anything from a grandmother, to yet another Jetta boy racer, (and sometimes grandmother jetta girl racers). The drivers that match your description tend to driver very large cars - remember the Chrysler Newport? I was behind one such driver on my drive home. Longest widest Cadilac car I have ever seen.

On Car style, well, the US motoring public has been sold that bill of goods since the 50's. Its a common replacement for real engineering improvement. Only when forced to by emissions regulation did the american automotive companies improve engines. Have you ever looked under the hood of a '65 Mustang? Hell, the same thing was out there in the late 1940's. 20 years of stagnation. And worse yet, that same thing (pushrod, cast iron head and block, 2 valve/cyl. V8 with double barrel carboratuer) was common as late as the early 80's. BTW, this bit about engine stagnation was drummed into me by my PHD Mechanical Engineer father from a young age!

The buisness types in Detroit found they could lay off two floors of Engineers, and replace them with one room of sheet metal designers, such as Harley Earle. And the result is they got a bigger house and an early retirement.

After the oil shocks, and legislated emissions improvements, we drive cars with DOHC light alloy engines, with port or direct fuel injection as a matter or coruse. Something you would need to buy a Porshe for when I was in high school. I say, bring more of it on!

The Prius is the way it is because what it is for, and how it packages the Hybrid drive. Its for up to 6 foot 3" Americans to drive around daily. Doubt that? Read " The Prius that Shook the World ", Toyota's published history of the Prius developement. Its tall, because the battery is just behind the passenger seat, under the rear deck, which forces an upright seating position. Being tall, it must be aerodyanmically shaped to keep air-drag down. And that results in the different shape. Styling could not be allowed. The rear hatch has the optimum angle for air drag. This has been studied in detail, long before the Prius, and it works out there is a zone of high drag. That is why cars (unless designed by a stylist) have either a shallow angle or steep C pilar angle.

So, the Prius is not designed for style, its design for function. Its more a result of the engineering imperatives, than a artists sketch pad. And I am just fine with that. And there is Precidence for this as well. The whole Art Deco period was based on the results of engineering imperatives applied to 1920's and 30's planes, trains and automobiles. In 10 years, will we have experienced an Art Prii period? Hard to say. And then the styling dogma will actually look like a Prius?!

11. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Donee,

You bring up a good point.

Which one looks more aerodynamic and which one is more aerodynamic? :)

2000 C5 Corvette?
    [​IMG]

or 2005 Prius?
    [​IMG]

Of course, the 2005 Prius has the lower coefficient drag of the two vehicles. .26 vs .29. The new C6 Vettes are rated at .28Cd. The GTO is rated at .31Cd.

So while my Prius has a rough time comparing to the looks of my older cars, it is designed for function and efficiency. It accomplished those goals quite nicely considering my average milage of 47mpg and I'm 6'3" tall and have plenty of room so as to remain comfortable on long drives.

12. acdii

acdii Active Member

The prius is a nice car, it just isnt big enough for a family of 6. Thats why my other cars are Grand Marquis and F350 Crew Cab Dually. BTW the Prius has paid for itself in gas savings, now I can afford more fuel to drive my big truck and lay down clouds of black smoke when I race against ricers in their honda chivics.

13. Aeron

Aeron New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Sep 9 2007, 01:42 AM) [snapback]509053[/snapback]</div>
    Well, you can have the Pruis. I'll have the C5 thanks.

:D

14. AussieOwner

AussieOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Aeron @ Sep 9 2007, 10:25 AM) [snapback]509268[/snapback]</div>
    But try fitting a family of 4 in the C5. :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(donee @ Sep 8 2007, 10:15 PM) [snapback]509004[/snapback]</div>
    This I think is a good example of why I like the Prius - it is something that is pushing the boundaries, rather than repeating what everyone else has done. So it is setting the new benchmark. You can stay with your old school engines, heavy car and beefed up suspension so that it can all actually move in the right direction, and call it performance, or you can start to think outside the box, and try something new. ;) There are a lot of people here who believe that the Prius is only partially the solution, and I agree with them, but it is a step in the right direction. Please also remember that the current Prius is only second generation. Aeron, how many generations of design did it take to get to something like your Falcon?

15. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Greenkeeper @ Sep 2 2007, 09:15 PM) [snapback]506153[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, I would look at the "macho" vehicle driver, and instantly assume that he's compensating for some personal inadequacies.

I have no interest in any man that has no intelligence, no sense of environmental responsibility, and no financial wisdom... anyone that will drive stupid vehicles, ruining the environment, while paying way too much for petrol, is so OFF my radar, it's not even funny.

Oh, and men that assume that women are easily impressed by men's "toys" are pretty pathetic, too.

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AussieOwner @ Sep 8 2007, 05:50 PM) [snapback]509283[/snapback]</div>
    Hence the LS600h. Why go the conventional route of a V12 (although V12s are very smooth) when you can try something new.. a hybrid V8?

17. Aeron

Aeron New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AussieOwner @ Sep 9 2007, 10:50 AM) [snapback]509283[/snapback]</div>
    Well, if the Prius is what happens when you "think outside the box" then I don’t want any part of it, im sorry.

Not one aspect of the thing appeals to me in the slightest. Its ugly and its slow, in all direction. The only slight advantage I can see is that it uses a bit less fuel. Im not sure what benchmark Toyota has supposedly set with the Prius. Perhaps the one that suckers people in with clever marketing? The Prius may only be 2nd generation but Toyota have been getting their styling all wrong for years. The last good-looking Toyota was the Supra. Since then its all been down hill. None of their cars appeal to the younger market. Well, perhaps 19 year old girls with the Yaris, but that’s about it.

What possesses anyone to buy a Camry I don’t know.

18. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Aeron @ Sep 8 2007, 05:25 PM) [snapback]509268[/snapback]</div>
    Having owned both the Prius is still #1 on my list of nice cars/trucks I've owned. ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Aeron @ Sep 8 2007, 11:30 PM) [snapback]509427[/snapback]</div>
    I think this viewpoint is a function of your age and the culture you have immersed yourself in as well as education level. When you get a bit older and more educated (in the right things) you may change your mind. It surely changed mine.

As for appealing to a younger market, refer to my education level argument. Many younger students at my college love my Prius and wish they can afford one. We showed 4 hybrids at our Earth Day event last spring and there were mostly positive responses from students and faculty of all ages, including 8 elementary school kids who crawled in and out of my car watching dvds and dancing to the music I played (I have a small system in the Prius).

You are certainly entitled to your opinions but having been you, years ago, I will just chalk up our differences to age (maturation anyway), education, and ethics.

19. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Aeron @ Sep 8 2007, 11:30 PM) [snapback]509427[/snapback]</div>
    Not sure why you joined the PriusChat community,then.
    you obviously have nothing in common with us.
    Nice chatting with you. Bye.

20. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i wish i was so spoiled that i could have no regard for cost of my car. yeah, the camry was our other choice. why? because we're not #*&king rich, that's why. we work hard to make our car payments, and we wanted a good commuter car that would have a low cost of operation and last a long time.

maybe you can't understand the "other side", i don't know. i don't care. but people like you irritate me with your high and mighty attitudes.

cars were my husband's life, our livelihood, his passion, and his hobby until an injury took him out of the game. but we had to balance gearhead with economic sensibility. as do most of us commoners. :rolleyes: