Do some Serious "thinking" before you just replace a head gasket

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Fierofly, Nov 12, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Fierofly

Fierofly Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I recently purchased a 2012 Prius V that was burning coolant, engine ran sometimes and sometimes it came to a dead stall upon start up. Had coolant in oil and white smoke. I removed head and found about 1/4 of coolant and a spotless clean combustion chamber on #1 cylinder and a bad head gasket. Now here's the question, how many people would just do necessary maintenance to replace head gasket and be on their way? Luckily, I decided to look at rods and sure enough, #1 was bent. So keep this in mind, I think this is a 13to1 compression motor, not much room for error

Attached Files:

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Bent rod undoubtedly due to hydro-locking.

Mendel Leisk and Fierofly like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yep, its not always what you imagine it to be.

Fierofly and Air_Boss like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Titanic Social Director

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Did you catch it by checking the piston faces relative to top-of-block, or did it take disassemble, direct inspection of the pistons?

The smoking gun in all this, it's almost always cylinder number one. And the EGR gas enters the intake manifold from the other end.

How many miles on it, btw?

5. Fierofly

Fierofly Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It had 220mi. I was planning on rebuilding anyway. Didn't notice the Piston depth, it probably would have ran for a few miles with the slight bend it has, lol. Egr doesn't seem clogged. I'll post as I rebuild and find anything else. I replaced a 2006 Prius engine about a year ago with a 85k pull out. It had a broke rod. I still drive it, runs great.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. RichG

RichG New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yeah - I have been reading the head gasket posts as my wife's 2012 is showing symptoms. I have so far removed the valve cover, I'm waiting for the Torx socket set to remove the EGR stud(was supposed to be delivered yesterday). I have read many posts including danlatu (who also had a bent rod) and The Critic write up their experience. All the information on here has been invaluable. The first thing I'm going to check when the head comes off is make sure the pistons come all the way up, esp #1. I really don't want to take the motor out...
    Best of luck - please keep us posted!