1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do wheels from other prius' fit?

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by Luconi, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Luconi

Luconi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I'd like to buy a set of decent cheap stock wheels from an older Prius to use for winter tire beaters. I can get a set off of a 2010 prius for around $200. Will these work on a prime? Are there any wheels from other prius' model years that won't fit?

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think Gen3 and Gen4 are interchangeable, but Gen2 had smaller OEM wheel IIRC. I don't know about Gen1 though. That said, for $200 you can also get aftermarket steely for that purpose. Or if you buy wheels and tires as a set, you can get quite a bit of discount sometimes. I got Michelline Xice 3 tires on alloy wheels mounted balanced ready to be installed from the Discount Tires for less than $500 total.

edit: On afterthought, Gen2 OEM wheel also may fit. OEM tires were smaller size but the wheel was 15 in.

#2 Salamander_King, Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    Luconi likes this.
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The Prius v has a different bolt pattern than other Prius. The v is 5 x 114 versus 5 x 100 for other Prius.

Luconi likes this.
  4. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Let us know if you fit them on your Prime. I want to do the same, and lower cost aftermarket alloys are typically junk and corrode very quickly in winter use. Factory wheels in my experience are much more durable.

Luconi likes this.
  5. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I used exactly the same alloy wheels and tires off of my Gen II, that also had a slight layover on the Plug-in Prius, before ending up on the Prime. Although by the time I put them on the Prime they had different tires than what I started out with. I actually like them on the Prime, no wheel covers to mess with.

I also used the winter alloy wheels and tires from my Wife’s Venza on her new NX300h. Actually looked awesome going from a 17” summer to a 19” winter. She liked it a lot.

Unsupervised!
    iPhone ?

6. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I also kept my (2006) Gen 2 alloy rims and use them as winter rims on my PiP. Same bolt pattern and tire size (195/65/15 and 5x100 I believe?). I believe some later trims of Gen 2 had an option for 16” rims(?), so not sure if those are the same.

From what I know, I believe the same is true of the Prime, and I intend to keep my Gen 2 rims longer as my future winter rims on my ‘20 Prime with 5 seats and CarPlay when I eventually buy one. ;)

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think even Gen 2 rims will work, it's just the tire that's slightly narrower, but not sure on that. Gen 3 for sure will work. Also this Corolla black steel rim, it's what I use for snow tires:

Corolla 15" black steel rims p/n: 42611-02471*

One caveat with the older Prius rims, centre caps from gen 3 will not fit properly in gen 4, and vice versa. Toyota in their wisdom shifted the groove in the centre bore a bit, so the clips are different lengths. I would recommend to get centre caps, or use wheel covers: exposed hubs get pretty rusty, especially in snow tire conditions.

* Going that route, I found a 2" ABS end cap made a semi-presentable centre cap. It's slightly loose, so I pushed on a bicycle inner tube "rubber band" first, to bridge the gap. This has worked for multiple winters, never flung off.

WilDavis likes this.
  8. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah you are right, the lower cost ones do corrode quickly. Mine are about 14 years old and have a lot of surface corrosion on them. But then I knew what was going to happen to them because they were going to see a lot of salt. You can mitigate this somewhat by waxing them before they get put on the car before and after (when putting them away for the summer) every season.

Unsupervised!
    iPhone ?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, a side benefit of two sets of wheels is convenience of waxing, more thorough too.