1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do You BELIEVE Islam is, in Essence, a "PEACEFUL" Religion?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mystery Squid, Apr 30, 2007.

?
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I claim a gray area, and here's why...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

2. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 1 2007, 12:27 PM) [snapback]433281[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, I did not say that at all. :huh:

At least i can not find where I said that... And if I did, all I would intend would be that Jewish people are just as human as non-Jewish people...

3. MarkMN

MarkMN New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 1 2007, 11:27 AM) [snapback]433281[/snapback]</div>
    This probably isn't addressed to me, but you really get hung up on the same note, don't you??

The reason why I state that Jewish people have been unfairly discriminated against and why it is still relevant today is that we as a society need to know the history of how Jewish people have been treated in the past couple thousand years and especially the last 100 years in order to understand and move forward, in the same way that we need to know the history of how black americans have been treated in the last 400 years. Without understanding these and other groups of people, moving forward is not going to happen. We can't look at how we are all equal and the same when certain groups of the population have a lot more baggage of discrimination in their history that they must live with still. The Nazi empire was only a bit more than 60 years ago, which means that it is still very real to today's discussion. Intolerance to black Americans was so strong just fifty years ago that most things in the south were segregated, and even today, segregation, discrimination, and racism still exists. I live in a northern city, and it is extremely segregated. We don't have a blank slate to move forward with to declare equality, hold hands, and sing together. Some of us are born into an easier world than others.

4. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ May 1 2007, 08:05 AM) [snapback]433220[/snapback]</div>
    Not to mention the abortion clinic bombers

5. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ May 1 2007, 10:25 AM) [snapback]433235[/snapback]</div>
    Stalin and Mao were as much "Atheists" as George W. Bush is a "conservative"; ie, in name only, but in practice not at all.

The reason Stalin and Mao suppressed religion wasn't because they were anti-religious per se; they just wanted ALL the power and didn't want ANY competition. The Communist Party WAS their religion, and the people were to worship them. That is NOT Atheism.

6. Mystery Squid

I found this somewhere.... comments?

7. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ May 1 2007, 01:02 PM) [snapback]433311[/snapback]</div>
    where in the Torah is this?

and i am glad you have found faith in the good book -

8. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 1 2007, 09:00 AM) [snapback]433264[/snapback]</div>
    Dr. Berman, how about Joshua's conquest of the promised land?

Here are some excerpts from Aish.com:

You should read the Book of Joshua. You may learn about the slaughter of all the residents of Jericho, with the exception of one family; or the battle of Ai, where the entire city was burned and its inhabitants slaughtered, the king of Ai hung on a tree and his body thrown into a pit; or how about the battle against the kings of the Amorites, when the five kings hid in a cave, but then discovered and trapped until their army was destroyed, at which point they were hanged; or the battle of Hatzor in which Joshua hamstrung their horses, burnt their chariots, captured the city, slaughtered its inhabitants, and burnt it to the ground.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tnthub @ May 1 2007, 09:25 AM) [snapback]433279[/snapback]</div>
    You are really resentful toward Jews, aren't you? Those are anti-Semitic rants, no ands, ifs or buts.

9. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ May 1 2007, 02:34 PM) [snapback]433368[/snapback]</div>
    What's really interesting is merely questioning demographics in such manner equates to anti-semitism.

Tell me, would you really not be in the least bit concerned if over the next year, hard core Islamics started moving into your neighborhood such that you were surrounded on all sides, and, coincidentally, purchased the building your worked in?

Tell us why we "shouldn't" ask such questions....

Btw, it appears, by a healthy margin, the general populace thinks Islam is NOT a peaceful religion....

10. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If the glove fits...

11. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ May 1 2007, 02:34 PM) [snapback]433368[/snapback]</div>
    You know,,,,,, I have never in my life been thought of as being anti-semetic to the best of my knowledge. Inside myself I see no difference in any people. It just isn't in my blood. However that is what you perceive and I apologize to you if that is the perception I have given as it is not my my intent.

I only believe that each of us is ultimately responsible for who we are. We can be guided by faith, educated by religions and cultures, perform works good and bad, and believe what we choose about a higher purpose. I can not recall eve singling out any particular group of people and being anti-anything about that group.

I do tend to believe what I see and when I see foreign cars with loud stereos, wings on the back, and VTEC stickers on the sides I do tend to make general assumptions such as the vehicle owners are most likely young, probably single, and probably out having a good time.

If I see a picture of Russians standing in a long bread line in the winter from many years back I do assume they are most likely impoverished and hungry.

Judaism is a religion just as the various Christian sects and Islam. I have no better or worse feelings concerning judaism than I do any other religion and do not understand why you would consider me anti-semetic for treating all beliefs with the same respect and tolerance? My wife happens to be Catholic. My brother is Jewish. I minored in religion in college and my wife majored in Hebrew studies and reads and writes the language.

Please explain how treating all people equally is anti-semetic? Have not all of us endured some sort of family event at one time or another in the past that threatened our existance or been persecuted for our beliefs/opinions on some level?

I simply choose not to wear my faith on my sleeve believing it is personal to me. I do perform marriages as a member of the clergy but do not preach my faith to others as I find listening of far more value to those around me.

12. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    very cool, now try number two and now something within the past 2,000 years. How many did we kill by the way back then? I will have to read it - sounds interesting. why was it done if you dont mind me asking for a cliff notes version.

13. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ May 1 2007, 03:01 PM) [snapback]433384[/snapback]</div>
    You do realize this sort of thing does nothing positive for our relationship don't you?

:lol:

Obviously, if I were anti-semitic, this would do nothing but increase my fervor...

14. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tnthub @ May 1 2007, 03:18 PM) [snapback]433402[/snapback]</div>
    i apologize if i insulted you - when people start saying they have Jewish friends or family it usually serves as a canary in my opinion for other things. my sensitivity there.

people said the Jewish religion is a violent religion. we have one example to date that dates back very far. i just want some more examples of how Judiasm is a violent religion - thats it. i dont think it is. i think we go our of our way to be peaceful, to assume the best in people, to believe in individual rights and liberties....

sorry again if i insulted you. it is not my intent ever to label anyone anything - honestly. i hope my explaination made sense to you.

david

15. scargi01

scargi01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tnthub @ May 1 2007, 10:38 AM) [snapback]433247[/snapback]</div>
    There are some on this board that should read that line a few times to make sure it sinks in. And you know who you are.

16. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tnthub @ May 1 2007, 12:18 PM) [snapback]433402[/snapback]</div>
    Can you please explain to me your obsession with (your words, not mine) "hearing how the Jews are always getting the short end of the stick," "[Jews] receiving a huge percentage of news time," "[Jews having] astronomically large percentages of populations in particular industries," and [Jews being the subject of] extremely high amounts of discussion, sometimes well beyond groups ten times their demographic"?

Please start practicing what you preach.

17. BongoSTL

BongoSTL Junior Member

I am not easily offended. This offended me.

I don't have an extended family, because they were murdered in the EUROPEAN (don't fool yourself into thinking it was just German) Holocaust of my people.

That is not "ultimately be rather profitable... "

Also, for those who read the Torah (the 'Bible') and see the violence, all should know that a basic tenet of Jewish faith is that the Bible CANNOT be understood without what is known as the "Oral Law/Bible", or the Talmud. Judaism is NOT the Bible. It is the Bible as understood THROUGH the Talmud.

Also, nowhere in the Bible does it say, "Though shalt not KILL". It says, "Though shalt not MURDER." There are in fact many laws in the Bible describing when it is OK to kill (self defense, a defensive war, etc...). That being said, Judaism as a religion is opposed to any non-defensive war.

Also, if you read your Talmud, you'll see that the Rabbis from long ago decided that the most important line in the Bible is: וְאָהַבְתָּ לְרֵעֲךָ כָּמוֹךָ , or, "you shall love your neighbor is you love yourself" (lev: 19:18).

The CENTRAL law of Judaism is: Remember that we should treat all strangers in our midsts as if they were outselves, for we too were strangers in the land of Egypt.

Just my thoughts.

For what it's worth, it's 8:15 in the morning where I'm typing. Jerusalem......

Daniel

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tnthub @ May 1 2007, 10:38 AM) [snapback]433247[/snapback]</div>

18. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ May 1 2007, 06:05 PM) [snapback]433636[/snapback]</div>
    Part of the answer right here . . .

Nobel Prize Winners

Of the 720+ prizes awarded since 1901, more than 130, or 18 percent, have gone to Jews. They have won almost three times the number of awards won by either Germany or France, and 10 times those won by Japan. Jews comprise less than 0.5 percent of the world's population.

. . .these figures were about 3-5 years ago I think and they did not include the Jewish winners of either France or Germany. I don't know about Japan but one can't help asking. Are there any Japanese Jews?

Wildkow

p.s. maybe if they would just dummy-it-down a bit they wouldn't attract so much attention! ;)

19. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ May 2 2007, 06:05 AM) [snapback]433816[/snapback]</div>
    Excellent point - for a violent religion we sure spend a lot of time following intellectual pursuits that benefit mankind. We have turned the desert into farmland and grown an economy in Israel that projects far beyond our small population - all the while our neighbors built an army and try to destroy us time and time again (i might question where our peaceful Muslim neighbors are in suing for peace, in bettering their peoples lives, etc).

I am not sure why the entire world continues to focus on the Jewish people - we are such a small % of the worlds population - why does the UN spend so much time castigating us - in passing resolution after resolution against Israel?

Judiasm is a peaceful religion that can and will defend itself - if that makes it a "violent" religion I would question the person that defines it as such.

20. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 2 2007, 08:06 AM) [snapback]433839[/snapback]</div>
    so wait, now it's OK to racially profile Jews as long as it's positive right?