1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do You BELIEVE Islam is, in Essence, a "PEACEFUL" Religion?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mystery Squid, Apr 30, 2007.

?
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I claim a gray area, and here's why...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tyrin @ May 2 2007, 11:11 PM) [snapback]434478[/snapback]</div>
    Israel was founded as an act of the United Nations. On day one of Israel's existance what happened?

Also i will wholeheartedly disagree with you as to your explaination of islamic terrorism is not the condition of their life - take for instance OBL - how much is he and his family worth? - perhaps something more intricate in their lives? Islamic terrorism predates the founding of the state of israel by a little bit if you read your history books. Nice try though.

2. jared2

jared2 New Member

Since religions are based on lies, intolerance of other religions and irrational thinking, none of them can be described as "peaceful". They all lead inevitably to violence, because they inculcate a kind of mass delusional thinking. Some traditions, like Buddhism, which is a philosophy rather than a religion, may come close to being "peaceful". But Buddhism, too, has become corrupted over thousands of years and its monks are interested in making money, like any other vested interest, as I experienced myself in China.

3. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The real issue isn't whether any religion is violent or not, religions are a reflection of the actions of the people espousing them. A religion can be interpreted peacefully or violently.

In the modern era (now for those of you in Rio Linda) the mainstream practitioners of Islam, whether directly or indirectly, interpret Islam in a decidedly violent manner.

Granted most religions are to one degree or another intolerant of other beliefs (or just advocate for their particular belief very strongly), over there histories most religions have had violent episodes and almost all religions have aberrations that cause violence.

But nothing on the scale of Islam in the modern world. There is no country (except maybe the US, for now) where Islam peacefully co-exists with either other religions or secular governments. At some point you have to stop saying it’s me and say its you!

4. formerVWdriver

formerVWdriver New Member

Quick quiz:

How many people did Jesus personally kill?

How many people did Mohammed personally kill?

How many swords did Jesus own?

What was the name of Mohammed's favorite sword?

Christians are supposed to be disciples of Christ -- that is, to let Him live within us and to imitate Christ. We usually fail. History is ugly with our failings.

I know that Muslims can be peaceful, just as Christians should be. But if they are following Mohammed, I'm not so sure about what kind of example he sets....

"By their fruits you whall know them."

As for the Jews, what a gift they have been to the world.

5. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(formerVWdriver @ May 8 2007, 05:04 PM) [snapback]437890[/snapback]</div>
    How many Christians killed in Jesus' name?

6. formerVWdriver

formerVWdriver New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ May 8 2007, 09:02 PM) [snapback]437931[/snapback]</div>
    As many as they could get their hands on. They killed in his name, but not in accordance with his instruction or example. As I said, history is filled with ugly examples of Christians failing terribly, although killing in Jesus' name is a whole lot worse than the words "failing terribly" can describe.

7. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I claim gray area and here's why....

I am not sure if Islam is a peaceful religion. I do, however, have many Muslim friends, both Shia and Sunni, who are peaceful people. I have read the Quran, and it does indeed have many instances of violence. I have asked my friend how he can reconcile with this, and he basically says that, at present, radical individuals within Islam are using the religion in an attempt to seize power, such as in Iraq.

Now, obviously there are some crazies out there who practice an extreme form of the faith, but I think most folks in, say, Iraq want the same things that we do- ability to live a decent life and provide the same or better for their children.

So, in summary, I don't think an entire group of human beings can be painted as peaceful or not based on a religion. Many (most) Muslims, in my estimation, are indeed peaceful individuals, regardless of whether or not this is the case for Islam. Just my two cents.

مع السلامة

I 'borrowed' this two cents, since it about summed up what I would have said anyway.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ozyran @ May 1 2007, 04:28 AM) [snapback]433117[/snapback]</div>
    Well, others have said where; and most of the 'Christians' I know tend to harbor violent ways, at least in their attitudes towards others who don't believe like they do.

8. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius