1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you buy Toyota Care for your PIP?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Francos, Mar 7, 2013.

1. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    As CharlesH mentioned, there are two different optional purchases apparently under discussion here. To Gaudette: was the $2500 for an extended maintenance contract (oil changes, tire rotations and the like) or an extended warranty to cover repairs? For the former, one would have to add up the retail charges for all recommended service in the manual and see if it pencilled out, depending on the mileage limit during the eight years, and go over the contract carefully to see just what is covered. Also, one would need to know whether the plan would be accepted at any Toyota dealer. OTOH, if you were only talking about a warranty plan, $2500 was WAY overpriced, beyond what I think Toyota considers MSRP. Which "reputable dealer" is charging $1700? That sounds closer to retail, IIRC. Search Prius Chat for extended warranty and the name of a sales guy who sells plans for under $1000 (last time I checked) should come up.

2. Gaudete

Gaudete Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks. The $2500 was for the 8 yr / 125000 mile warranty. Disgraceful. I canceled.

3. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Smart move.:p

4. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    In the price paid thread, we once did that math. It didn't work out at ALL.

5. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yep, that's what I'm remembering. There's a profit for the dealer in these contracts, or they wouldn't be selling them.