1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you care when your neighbor's dog craps on your lawn?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, Jun 10, 2006.

1. judymcfarland

judymcfarland Queen of Moral Indignation

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    In a very nice lake-view neighborhood of Milwaukee, someone is picking up after Fido & flinging the plastic bags over the edge of the bluff toward the lake. Trouble is, there are trees on the bluff. Getting the picture? Trees "decorated" with blue and white plastic bags of doggie-doo. Ick, ick, ick!

2. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Everyone around here brings a plastic bag on walks, so no problems.
    My dog is 120 lbs in a fenced back yard, so poop scooping is a daily job!

"a little wee knee and tries to make up for it by having a huge dog"
    It's a DOG not a Hummer. You can't hunt with a purse/lap dog, you dolt.
    Besides Weim's aren't supposed to be this big. We were unlucky and our puppy grew like Clifford the big red dog.
    No need for a security system here!

But what to do with all that crap! I want to compost it, but they say not to. So I fill up empty paint cans with it (they are dump bound anyways, might as well fill em). A pasta spoon (NOT dual use) and a paint can is the easiest method of cleanup I've ever found, and you can keep a lid on the odor in between pickings!

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It bothers me no more than when somebody who chooses to drive solo in a huge SUV/truck/whatever for a commute vehicle. The dog craps on my lawn, the SUV driver craps in my air. The dog may not know better.

Why do we complain about dog crap, and not about the crap that people are allowed to do "because they can afford it?"

4. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Aug 31 2007, 09:40 AM) [snapback]504870[/snapback]</div>
    NIMFY-ism!
    Pick up said dog poo, fling poo at said single occupant commuter beheamoth!
    (NOT a good idea, but a funny thought!)

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    When I lived in rural North Dakota I had 3/4 of an acre of lawn, so disfigured by gopher mounds that I had to set my lawn mower very high. With deer, raccoons, rabbits, etc., wandering around, there was bound to be some poo under the grass. When my neighbor (a mile and a quarter away) got a couple of new dogs, and they followed me home (I sometimes jogged past their place) they may have added to the poo. But on the other hand, they chased, and occasionally killed, the rabbits. Rabbits eat garden veggies. I was very happy to be visited by the dogs.

Now I live in a seniors' community where everyone picks up after their dogs.

And I agree with Darell: dog poo is annoying, but car exhaust is deadly!

All gasoline cars should be crushed! I'd much rather smell dog poo than car exhaust.

6. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I live on 1.5 acres, I could care less what the neighors do outside of my fence.. The area between the street & the sidewalk is an easment that you still have to mow .

The ones I hate to deal with are those pesky teenagers during Holloween, I let the electric fence get them.. :lol:

Why is it people just dont pay attention to posted signs?

Beware of dog
    [​IMG]

Posted No Trespassing
    [​IMG]

On the back fence to the woods:

If found here at night, you'll be found here in the morning.

And my favorite ( I stole the idea fron the far side)

Beware of Doug
    [​IMG]

7. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, it's annoying. We don't have a dog, we have an inside cat, and I take care of her litterbox.
    There are little piles of poo left on our lawn.
    If DH sees a dog owner with their dog, and the dog is pooing anywhere on our corner lot, he will walk outside and ask, "You are going to pick that up, right?"
    One guy actually scurried home, and came back with a plastic bag and cleaned it up :D

I just wish they all would....

8. Birdums

Birdums You, me, and da Pri

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rae Vynn @ Aug 31 2007, 12:38 PM) [snapback]504950[/snapback]</div>
    I'm like you - no dogs. My pets are an indoor cat, and a bird who has her own 'house' to poop in. I SHOULD be able to walk on my lawn barefoot without having to look for 'land mines'. But, unfortunately, I have neighbors. Neighbors who own dogs. Dogs that roam freely throughout the neighborhood. So I have a yard full of dog crap. When I brought this up at a homeowner's meeting, all I got was a bunch of people muttering about how 'no damn body's gonna tell me I can't have a pet'.

Apparently, my neighbors are too stupid to realize that dogs don't have to roam all over the countryside, and would be perfectly content to stay in their own yard, with a little discipline. But heck, if they can't discipline their kids, how could they be expected to try with a dog?

9. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I get two dogs who love to visit my yard. One jumps the fence and the other strolls on over. Neither have crapped in my yard, at least to my knowledge. I probably wouldn't be appreciative of their crap if they choose to do so.

I care more that people let their cats roam around my yard. I'd rather clean up some crap than a bunch of dead birds, rabbits, etc.

10. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(You me and da Pri @ 2007 Aug 31 10:46 AM) [snapback]505013[/snapback]</div>
    You didn't hear this from me, but you might find a slingshot to be an effective deterrent. :huh:

11. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "I'd rather clean up some crap than a bunch of dead birds, rabbits, etc."

Not me. Screw the rabbits. They eat everything I plant. No one lets cats roam free anymore around here and now there are Chipmunks, mice, and rabbits everywhere. Digging holes, eating rose bushes, hostas, my entire patch of 100 new strawberry plants. My entire 12 x 6 patch of corn disappeared in 1 day just before they were ready to pick. Although that may have been the redsquirrels. The only crop they all leave alone are my potatoes and peppers.

12. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Darwood, instead of advocating the existence of outdoor cats that are invasive and kill millions of migratory birds annually, why not try chicken wire around your garden? Staple it to the ground with garden stakes and it'll keep out the bunnies. Works for me anyways. My New Jersey Tea, Hazelnuts and prarie willow are all fenced in and have since recognized no damage. Once they're mature, I can remove the fencing and they can nibble on this stuff.

For the rest of your pests, can you spray your crop with red hot pepper wax spray? Nothing toxic and this will deter most pests (even insects) from nibbling on your crop. You do have to respray after a rain, however.

13. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Darwood, instead of advocating the existence of outdoor cats that are invasive and kill millions of migratory birds annually, why not try chicken wire around your garden? Staple it to the ground with garden stakes and it'll keep out the bunnies. Works for me anyways. My New Jersey Tea, Hazelnuts and prarie willow are all fenced in and have since recognized no damage. Once they're matured, I can remove the fencing and they can nibble on this stuff.

For the rest of your pests, can you spray your crop with red hot pepper wax spray? Nothing toxic and this will deter most pests (even insects) from nibbling on your crop. You do have to respray after a rain, however.

14. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not advocating roaming cats, I merely know that the lack of predators has caused an explosion of rodents and rabits, which ALL of my neighbors are pissed about. There used to be an occasional fox that would clear out rabbits, but haven't seen one in a while. Every rose bush in the neighborhood has been masacred this year along with my garden.

I do have chicken wire around the garden.
    Since adding the chicken wire, I still found a rabbit in my bean patch.
    Never did figure out how it got in either. But I did make sure it won't be back. And then I lost all my corn a little later too (Hence, my theory of the red squirrels). I'm mixed about them. They are real territorial (esp. of my Walnut tree) and chase off all the grey squirrels, as well as provide entertainment to me. And I don't know for sure that they ate my corn.

I've tried pepper spray before, but I have a lot of garden, and it's been raining near daily. But I'll probably try it on the corn next year, anyways, since it's near impossible to chicken wire a corn patch to keep squirrels out. You'd need a giant box, yet still have access to get inside yourself. I plan on making a chicken wire cover (as opposed to fencing) for next year's strawberry patch.

What do you mean invasive? Invasive means it displaced native animals. Here in MN, a cat can't survive winter without a "home", and there are NO predators to displace. Maybe crows, but there are plenty of them. I did see a hawk last week on my roof, though.

15. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Exotic...not invasive. My bad.

Hair. I heard that pesky animals (especially squirrels) can't stand the smell of it. Try getting a mesh onion bags and putting balls of hair on it hanging it around your corn and see what happens. Human hair, pet hair, any hair at all. Or ordinary bars of soap.

What about a mesh nylon netting over your crop?

I wonder how farmers put up with this? It's got to be frustrating!

So far as your red squirrels, relish them. And I don't mean with your garden produce.

16. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Aug 31 2007, 05:33 AM) [snapback]504905[/snapback]</div>
    I can handle a few dogs. We live in forest with feral pigs that make tunnels thought the 8' high vegetation that you can't see from above. At night when they are around, it's like being visited by bulldozers and backhoes the way they undermine footings and retaining walls and overturn huge areas of plantings. My dogs pretty much ignore them at night or roll in thier crap when they get the chance (thanks guys). The pigs also carry leptospirosis which is not pleasant disease to get. This mother and babies were just walking along the road.
    [​IMG]

17. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Aug 31 2007, 01:08 PM) [snapback]505111[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Aug 31 2007, 01:50 PM) [snapback]505132[/snapback]</div>
    I had a quarter-acre garden in ND. And I can tell you that NONE of those folk remedies works. I eventually settled on electric fencing, which kept out the deer and rabbits. Burrowing pests still got in. The deer could have jumped the fence easily, but they never did. Either they were too stupid, or they didn't bother, because there was abundant food outside my garden.

I think it highly unlikely that squirrels would have taken an entire corn crop in one night. I'd suspect raccoons, which will pull down every ear and take a few bites out of each. Of course, if the ears were gone entirely, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts you've got two-legged pests. If the ears were damaged but left in the garden, take a few to your county extension agent to identify the culprit.

Most animals will balk at a two-wire electric fence: one within a few inches of the ground and another a couple of feet high.

Humans are the most destructive of creatures: by eliminating predators we create a plague of all the animals those predators would have kept under control. I'm all for more cats.

18. scargi01

scargi01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Aug 31 2007, 03:50 PM) [snapback]505132[/snapback]</div>
    How about getting a pellet gun and being done with it?

19. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Aug 31 2007, 11:33 AM) [snapback]504905[/snapback]</div>
    why is it that it is ok to bash someone who drives an SUV / Sportscar. Cars aren't in my opinion the main cause of air pollution, we as a soceity have been trained to be wasteful in everything we do.
    How about ranting that they should only sell CFL lightbulbs, or that 50 % or more of offices, stores, and public buildings dont even lower the lights at night when not in use. Or the big city that lights up the field of an empty ballpark because a game is going on across the parking lot at another venue so it looks better from the blimp. Most energy in the US comes from coal and it is far more of a polluter in the overall picture. Most people wont even turn our PC's off when we are done because we dont want to wait that awful minute or 2 to boot the machine.

20. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(morpheusx @ Aug 31 2007, 05:25 PM) [snapback]505207[/snapback]</div>
    Everything you said above is true. But I still say all gasoline cars (not just SUVs or sport cars) should be crushed. They are not the only problem, but they are a big problem.

I visited Cuba at a time when there was a gas shortage, due to the collapse of the USSR. The streets were nearly empty. It was wonderful. Hardly any cars, virtually no exhaust fumes.

And I've worked on a dairy farm and shoveled plenty of manure. Poop is disgusting, but car exhaust is ten times worse.