1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you ever wish you got something faster/else?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Higgins909, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Higgins909

Higgins909 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is probably fairly off topic, but I didn't really see a sub-forum for this topic. This is a little bit of my history and trying to figure out what I want to do.

I've owned a 2010 prius level 3 trim for almost a year now (10~ months), before that I had a 2004 Accord I4. I had that for 6 months. (RIP Honda) The Honda was my first and the Prius is my second vehicle. The Honda never even got city mpg, but it was more fun to drive around... also heated leather seats and a sun roof... But the power steering was having issues and a few days before I crashed it, some engine mount was creaking. Despite it being a 5spd auto, I drove it like a manual using the 1-2-3D. I could be a lot smoother and faster like that. I have since downgraded to the cvt in the Prius. (I'm not a racer by any means, it's just I didn't agree with how the transmission was shifting)

When I was shopping for my first vehicle, I was looking at Toyota Prius, because of the MPG and was trying to convince myself that all I do it drive from A to B (mainly work) and don't need that $10,000 POS pickup that I want so badly. But I ended up getting something a little cheaper and better in some ways, the Honda Accord. It had it's issues and then was spun out and totaled on a cold rainy night. Needing new tires was one of the problems it had. It had mixed tires and some really old Kuhmo tires that looked brand new, despite being old and dryrotting. They used to be on the front of the car, but I would squeal the tires all the time, so they went to the rear, which I think heavily contributed to my hydroplane in the rain.

I go a couple weeks without a vehicle and then start looking for a new one. I was trying to find a vehicle that got better mpg as I was sure my insurance was going to go up. (It went up about $100 month) I started to look at the same pickups as I did last time though, but talked myself out of it again and got a Prius(The Prius was essentially half the cost with similar mileage, way newer and cleaner)

I do like the MPG it gets (39MPG~) but performance wise, it can be quite lacking. There are many times that it seems fast, but then it can feel slow too. I'm also having some comfort issues when driving, that I'm trying to work out. The tires that the dealer put on this car also suck, like the ones on my Honda. So I've been meaning to replace them too. But lately I'm not sure if I want to replace tires, or get wider tires and rims, or trade it in. Then there is the part of me that really wants a motorcycle, but I don't want to die and I don't want to sit in a classroom for the 3 day class. (Man, I have like ADHD/ADD/OCD and have the hardest times in classrooms... only classrooms) But motorcycles are cool as heck! ...But I might die... But they're cool! $7000 is a lot for a bike and gear I might not like. But they're fast! and don't forget, they're cool! and you really want one!

That's essentially where I'm at right now.
    Prius, get new tires or get new tires and rims.
    Trade Prius in.
    Get a motorcycle and keep Prius the way it is.
    Has anyone else ever been like this?

bisco likes this.
  2. Usle

Usle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Put down the pipe long enough to get rid of the prius, please.

Sapphire Dragon and Tande like this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm fine with the performance, and the utility. I've got a few minor beefs with the dash layout, but meh.

4. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    You are 22?

We go thru stages.

It will change as you age. You'll calm down. (Hopefully ;))

Or, maybe nothing will ever change. :LOL: I know people in their 50s that still have to get a new car every couple years!

When I was in my 20s & early 30s, I changed cars about every 3 years, or less. (Mostly Hondas & Toyotas.) Then I went thru 4 different motorcycles. They kept getting more powerful.... After the 2nd serious crash, that was it! No more.

I finally "grew up" when I turned 40. I kept the next two cars for about 11 years each. Man, when I think of all the money I blew over the years!!!

I should've just bought new wheels. :D :ROFLMAO:

Tande, milkman44, m.wynn and 2 others like this.
  5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Fred's House of Pancakes is random topics.

The 'CVT' in the Prius is not a downgrade from anything. (Although it does make greater than 25 MPH in R difficult)

There is a pedal to the right on the floor for that. MPG will go down more.

If, for some reason, you need to got faster than 115 MPH, you will need larger diameter tires/wheels.

6. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Now that I'm an old guy, the Prius is fine for basic driving needs. I don't need lots of speed. But I do wish it was a bit bigger. I find it difficult to get in & out of. I'm tall, but there's no excuse for my weight gain. :(

I'm kind of getting that new car "itch" again. :eek: I better not go to the LA Auto Show!! ;)

Bay Stater likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you driven a used volt or other electric vehicle? i've read it's seat of your pants stuff

8. Bay Stater

Bay Stater Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey, everyone goes through the urge wanting that helo car or truck. You're young, go for that truck if mileage is not a big concern.

When I was younger, I had a Corvette and a BMW. Enjoyed driving them both. Now that I have a family, a long commute, the Prius makes the most sense. Did improve the Prius handling by replacing the 15s with 17 inch wheels.

Good luck with your car endeavors.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I went through a Honda Hurricane phase... :oops:

Bay Stater likes this.
  10. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  11. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What I should have bought instead was a tesla, because here CA voters decided to tax themselves to "fix the road and bridges." I live in northern CA were roads and bridges are fine so I'm paying for "infrastructure improvements" in southern CA (which I've driven on 3 times my entire life) and the Obama train which I will never utilize. 12 cent per gallon increase and will continue to increase substantially annually, same w/registration fees.

RMB likes this.
  12. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I started with a little Yamaha 250 Enduro. And this is the last one I had. Insane speed. What was I thinking?! Riding that is like having a death wish. I'm glad I outgrew that (young) phase of my life. California freeways are crazy.

Honda CBR1100XX - Wikipedia

IMG_0660.JPG

#12 Starship16, Nov 10, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  13. MCCABE Yohe

MCCABE Yohe New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Prius is not built for speed, but if I were you I would keep it and modify it. Change the wheels. Get some lowering springs. Maybe spicing it up a bit will give you the excitement you are looking for!

orenji and Bay Stater like this.
  14. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Getting older has its advantages. You slow down, and finally realize what's really important. You spend your money more wisely. (Or maybe I just live a boring life? :ROFLMAO:)

15. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nice! I had the '77 RD400 and then the '84 RZ350. My older, grumpy guy opinion is these things represented the greatest time in crotch rocket history. The last of 2-stroke power, handling and smell. So much fun!! I raced motocross through my teens and was very comfortable on two wheels, but could never shake the paranoia that every other motorist was trying to kill me on a street bike. Sold the RZ in '87 and haven't ridden on the road since;).

First car was a 68 VW Beetle 1300, rated at ~50hp or so. Fully modernized with the 12-volt system, tho:cool:... My sister had a couple of '66s with the 6-volt electrics. It literally looked like a couple of candles behind the glass headlight lenses.

bisco, Bay Stater and Raytheeagle like this.
  16. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    General advice.
    Well, personally I think if you "know" you'd kill yourself on a motorcycle? Or are afraid of dying using one? Then NOT getting one, is a wise choice.
    I'm NOT being sarcastic here, I'm being sincere. I'm nearly over twice your age, and have spent a large portion of my life thinking owning and operating a motorcycle would be an absolute blast. BUT....I have the same ultimate belief. I think I'd be likely to kill myself. I can't justify the risk, despite the reward, so I have avoided the temptation -by totally avoiding the temptation.
    I've had a friend that did die on a motorcycle, and I have friends that ride today. The ones still riding today, around my age group? They usually learned the hard way, and they follow ALL the rules. Proper maintenance, gear, defensive riding...those classes you don't want to take...
    But basically, if you are foresighted enough to quantify the possible risk to yourself in terms as stark as owning a motorcycle would most likely be fatal? Then I think NOT getting one is the right choice.

As far as should you keep the Prius or make a change? That's up to you. I can't answer that for you.
    Reading your post and in between the lines of your post, I would urge you to factor in and INVEST into safety. There is no bargain in aged tires, or mechanical frailties. As you found out with your Accord, you end up paying for it in the end, if it's ONLY money, you're lucky.

My "old man" speech, would include the fact that at this stage in my life, "speed" is not the priority. I find that it doesn't really matter most times what I'm driving, we live in a congested and speed limited world. Fast is no longer my priority.

The Prius would be the winner, as far as ANY and ALL vehicles I have ever owned as far as being "relaxing" to drive. Yes, the mechanics and the software feedback all encourage, efficiency by taking it easy. Once I learned and embraced this? I loved the Prius because it didn't go from 0-60 in 6 seconds or less, and I didn't care.
    IMO Prius and HSD kind of teaches you that the point of A-B travel, is getting to point B, safely and efficiently. You learn to enjoy those efficient accelerations, and improving your gas mileage, instead of head snapping torque. In today's world...the ability to reduce emissions and save fuel seem to me to be tools much more needed and day to day embraceable compared to being able to go from 0-60 in 6 seconds or less.

Good Luck with whatever you decide.
    NOT keeping the Prius is a valid choice. BUT...
    Not being safe, isn't.
    I would be more concerned whatever you decide or get, about having good tires, and the vehicle being in good mechanical shape. The truth is the operation of any and all motor vehicles comes with risk, and responsibility. Some times it's out of our hands, as far as what might happen around us, BUT we can control some factors. Including making sure the vehicle is mechanically sound and that tires are in good shape. To NOT invest into those things, is a real mistake.

17. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I know what you mean about a bike. I seriously miss mine. And it's because that performance was so amazing that I am not one bit interested in a "performance" automobile. The only ones that would compare would cost at least a quarter million dollars. And now that most cage drivers have traded in brains for electronic devices that they can't look away from for any reason, I find that all the gear, all the time is not enough. So I have some great memories and a car that is also a performance car in a different way.

511671676UqJqyb_fs.jpg

The Electric Me and m.wynn like this.
  18. Bay Stater

Bay Stater Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, my late dad had a 66 VW Beetle when I was a young kid. Do remember the strange head lighting system with the bare bulb between the lens. But boy that was a fun car to be in. :)

m.wynn likes this.
  19. SpeedDemon

SpeedDemon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    After having an Audi A4 that I spent probably close to 10k FIXING let alone spending $65 on premium gas to go the same distance as my Prius does for $35, NOPE. I live in Los Angeles, and there is no point to having a nice car if you live in the urban area. Your car doors will get dinged, your car will get tree sap and gunk from trees when you park on the street. That and you can't speed (well you can, but you will hit a light or traffic the next block)....

The only car I wish I had was a Suburu since I like to go camping and up in the mountains quite often (ok maybe a handful of times a year).

Now if I lived in the suburbs with a nice house with a white picket fence and was single, then MAYBE.

Bay Stater likes this.
  20. Butaketsu

Butaketsu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2017 Infiniti Q50S. Twin turbo V6. Which car do I prefer to commute in? The Prius hands down. It's pretty comfy, has all the gauges I like to look at on one screen and does double the fuel economy.

Sure going 140 down the highway in the snap of a finger is great and all, but that's just asking for trouble for me... In the Prius, I'm the driver everyone hates in the right two lanes. In the Infiniti, I'm the driver that hates everyone in all 4 lanes... It's a lose lose situation.

What's great about the Prius is that it's half the cost to register every year than the $505 it costs to register the Infiniti... And then it's 1/3 the cost for full coverage insurance, the Infiniti costing $2000 a year.

Bay Stater and bisco like this.