1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you find EV mode useful and, if so, how do you use it?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by dpbsmith4, May 1, 2016.

1. dpbsmith4

dpbsmith4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I remember being disappointed that our 2005 Prius didn't have EV mode when the European versions did. So, now I have it--and I can't figure out what it's good for. Mostly it is only available at times when the car is basically in EV mode anyway. I'd thought it might be handy for those times when I want to move the car eight feet in our driveway and feel guilty about hearing the ICE start, but it seems that it can't be used right after the car is started anyway.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    useless, sorry.:unsure:

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  3. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The scenario you just described is about the only time I use it, and most of the time it works really well for that. The catch is you have 10 seconds (on the gen 3, not sure about the new ones) to engage it before the car enters the warmup cycle and won't let you do EV until it's at a certain stage. You also have to have at least four bars (I think that is about 50% SOC) of battery remaining.

kithmo likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe they finally changed the gen 4 not to have the ice come on for 60 seconds, no matter the temp or battery state of charge.

5. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Would be nice to have 60 instead of just 10 under a bunch of conditions. Also I don't understand why not let it go all the way down to 2 bars (40%)

'LectroFuel and bisco like this.
  6. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    On my Gen3 I use it to move it from 2 different office buildings when ICE is cold or any other similar situations.
    And I read on the Gen4 manual that it is the same as gen3: you turn on the car and press the EV mode button before the ICE starts warming up.
    Other uses? Very rare corner cases when the ICE is warm and you want to make sure it stays off (like entering an underground car park) or while washing it in a automated car wash and need to keep it on in N.
    The weird thing is that I know that gen3 is supposed to be able to drive up to 2km in EV mode, gen4 manual states only 1km.... :(
    (ICE = internal combustion engine)

7. DBLXX

DBLXX Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I use it to go to the grocery store and back. Love it.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow! how far is that?

9. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    It is the same with the Gen 4, not sure about the number of bars on the SOC though, I think it may only need 3. I also noticed that the engine stays warm for longer after being stood and the ICE is less likely to start up.

Kramah313 and bisco like this.
  10. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Actually I checked today my gen3 user's manual and it says exactly the same as the gen 4 manual (it's in German but that's what it says, as you can aww from the numbers):
    image.jpeg

11. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I use it in my neighborhood. It works best in stop and go traffic. I got about 86 mpg going about 20 miles in stop and go traffic.

12. DBLXX

DBLXX Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I'd say 1/2 mile each way. Maybe a bit less.

bisco likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nice. can you use it anytime, or only if the engine is warm?

14. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    20mi EV mode? Cannot be. The EV mode we are referring to is the one you select with the EV button, not when the EV car symbol shows up while regular driving.
    EV mode that forces the Conbustion engine to stay off only managed about 1 mi or less...

15. Ente

Ente Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I haven't had much use for the EV mode, as the car can go much further and faster without the restrictions of the mode. The engine doesn't start until you reach a certain level of acceleration. The EV mode might be useful if you want to keep the engine from starting from cold when on a very short trip. EV would be more useful in the earlier(1st-2nd) generations of the Prius as they start the engine almost immediately after starting. It really doesn't make sense to start the engine to move just a few feet. In my old car, a Corolla, I would shift to neutral and push the car in and out of the garage whenever I washed the car. With the Prius, this is completely unnecessary as the engine won't start.

Frankemtp and pakitt like this.
  16. alexgrigori

alexgrigori Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    If I correctly understand the quoted German manual it stays for 40 km/h max speed in EV mode. Our manual does not have an exact speed limit. My recent experiment shown that above pretty low 30 km/h EV mode disengages. The massage displays that speed limit has been exceeded. Are there a way to adjust the maximum speed to at least 40 km/h or more?

17. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    The Gen 4 will cut out of forced EV (button pressed) at 20 mph (32 km/h) until the ICE full warm up cycle has completed, then when warmed up it will cut out of forced EV at 30 mph (48 km/h), same as Gen 3. Although when the gen 4 is warmed up and HV battery well up, the car will continue well above 30 mph in EV, but the forced EV light will go out even though it's still in EV.

alanclarkeau and RCO like this.
  18. alexgrigori

alexgrigori Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    ICE was fully warmed (after commute of 15 km), battery almost full and ambient temperature about 5 C.
    On my way home just before 0.5 km from home I decided to force EV mode for the following reasons:
    1. Improve mileage rating.
    2. The depleted battery will be charged next day during warming time.
    However max speed I could get was only 30 km/h, after that EV icon disappeared, exceeded speed message displayed and ICE kicked in.

19. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    At an ambient temperature of 5 deg C, I assume you had the heater on, the ICE kicks in any time as and when heat is needed. You should find that if you turn off the heat then force EV, it will go up to 48 km/h before it kicks out of forced EV. If not then it's maybe related to ambient temps.

RCO likes this.
  20. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    On my Gen3, I use EV mode (and B mode for that matter) many times in situations that would have the computer turning the ICE on and off for ridiculously brief periods. For example, if when the light turns green I need to drive 100 feet before taking a corner, EV mode will keep the ICE off for that 100 feet, and as I'm turning I'll toggle off EV mode and use the ICE to accelerate to cruising speed after the turn. Otherwise, the ICE would turn on for a total of about two seconds before the turn, turn off while I'm turning, then turn on again.

Now, if there's no traffic I'd skip EV mode and just accelerate lightly until the turn to keep the ICE off, but at rush hour, EV mode gives pretty good acceleration at low speeds.

RCO likes this.