1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you find EV mode useful and, if so, how do you use it?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by dpbsmith4, May 1, 2016.

1. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    PRIUS is a hybrid. The computer controls when it thinks it's best for EV mode or for the ICE to run. Trying to force EV, while sounding like a good idea doesn't seem generally to improve mileage. Similar to what tpenny67 just said, the only times I force it is when I know I've a very short distance to drive - eg my local shop is 30 metres from the corner, and then a long downhill - I'll force it in EV to the corner, then it will flick between REGEN and EV on the downhill. Of course, if the heater is on, it'll bring the ICE on - but it's summer here now. I'll also force EV when I'm driving in my driveway - so as not to alert the dogs that I'm home!!!

With a warmed up engine, max speed is about 45km/hr in EV, with cold engine, about 38km/hr.

I don't understand why, but some days it won't allow a forced EV mode despite a full battery. But if you look at the ENERGY MONITOR, you can see that it's actually using battery drive. A glitch maybe?

kithmo, GT4Prius and RCO like this.
  2. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For the first minute the ICE is on, it's trying to warm up the catalytic converter and minimize emissions, and will use the battery heavily during this time. It's referred to as warm-up stage 1a, here: Gen3 warming up stages | PriusChat

alanclarkeau and RCO like this.
  3. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yesterday, due to slower traffic ahead of me, I had to brake a lot down a long steep hill. With a full SOC at the bottom and speed less than 30mph, EV could not be selected and screen indicated the ice was still charging and propelling the car. After about five more minutes driving everything went back to normal with SOC showing between full and 80% up the next hill. Obviously(?) the car knows what's best for it and who am I to argue with that!

4. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry - yes, I know that - I should have said that it will do it sometimes when it's already fully warmed up. It did it to me today, full battery, stopped at a light after having been driving 10 mins, and it said something like "EV MODE UNAVAILABLE".

tpenny67 likes this.
  5. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ah, so it sounds similar to RCO's post, and you both have Gen4s, which I suppose is expected as this is a Gen4 forum :) Perhaps the battery is heating up enough on the downhill that EV mode is limited to protect the battery until it cools down a bit. That would be very unexpected in a new Prius unless you parked it in the desert sun at the top of a mountain. Or maybe it's a difference between the Lithium battery in the Gen4 and the NiMh in the Gen3?

On the Gen3 you can use custom gauges in a ScanGauge to see battery charge, temperature, etc., but not sure if the same custom gauges work with Gen4.

RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  6. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine has NiMH. (And I don't have any mountains or deserts!!);)

7. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Cornwall has no mountains or desserts, but there are moorlands and many steep valleys. There's Gossmoor and the world famous Dartmoor with its prison. In a nutshell, or roads twist and turn and rise and fall like the proverbial fiddler's elbow!

8. Elt31987

Elt31987 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When i pull onto the street of my work and my home street i enforce it.

9. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have found I get the same effect by backing off the gas, then gently pressing the go pedal and it stays in EV unless you press too fast or exceed the cut out speed. It works when up to running temperature and the ambient isn't too low. What's it like in New Hampshire?

Coast Cruiser and kithmo like this.
  10. Absolu22

Absolu22 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I found out the EV mode sometimes useful when your battery is pretty much at full charge and you are at stop in heavy traffic!

While playing with the EV mode, I found out that the Toyota engineers got it all figured out for us and you can trust that your Prius will normally drive efficiently. No need to tame the gentle beast!

11. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    While I rarely use EV mode, except when in a car park, or to demonstrate the capability to the occasional acquaintance, I've noticed that once the engine on my Gen 2 has warmed up, I can scoot along gently in 'pedal induced' EV mode at up to 42mph on certain roads, and indeed do this during every commute - usually on one with a slight downward incline. It seems the UK Gen 2 Prius can cruise in EV mode at up to 42mph before it switches to ICE assisted propulsion.

iPhone ?

#31 Data Daedalus, Dec 9, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    RCO likes this.
  12. alexgrigori

alexgrigori Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    IMHO there is a confusion about EV mode. The real EV mode is the forced one where EV button is engaged and EV icon is on screen. And there is EV condition when ICE is off and the car propelled electrically. I was surprised to find that my Prius has forced EV speed limit of only 30 km/h. After that the EV icon is gone (excessive speed message displayed) but car can go on battery without ICE up to 40-45 km/h for some time.
    Is it something wrong with my Prius? What forced EV mode speed limit you have. Note that N-A manual does not have this info.

RCO likes this.
  13. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I will be speaking about EV condition, not EV Mode (button). I do not push any buttons. I have owned Gen 2, 3 and now 4. In my Gen 4, I have seen the EV condition light at speeds up to 68 MPH on the freeway, under little load of course. Now, it seems that in similar conditions in my Gen 3, I would feel the ICE on/off transition under these same conditions, but I do not remember ever seeing the EV condition light on at these higher speeds. So, maybe the Gen 4 displays the EV conditon light under a wider set of conditions than earlier generations, but I have to say, it is very cool to be cruising down the freeway at 68 MPH with the EV light on!

RCO likes this.
  14. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's right. I wondered if the engine was actually turning when I saw it happening, but with wind and road noise it was impossible to know. I don't have any of this tech wizardry (yet)!

15. greenmonster01

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I use it mostly when running errands like when I hit a couple of shops that are a 1/4 mile apart.

Having the heat on limits it's use, but I'm sure I'll use it more come summer time.

Absolu22 and RCO like this.
  16. raspy

raspy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This bloke got 1.8 miles from EV mode in his Gen 4

17. Ben Little

Ben Little Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    I haven't really found a lot of use with the EVmode button yet. I have found that when I am driving around town here in the Canadian Maritimes this winter and I am at a red light with the ICE running I can usually force it off by pressing the EVmode button. The engine is usually warmed up and would likely shut off anyway, if I was a patient person.

tpenny67 and RCO like this.
  18. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I never press the "EV" button. That's for the boys who drive a new Prime.
    I prefer hearing the engine growl. :LOL:

kithmo and RCO like this.
  19. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    SWMBO uses forced EV on her Gen 2 when going up a short hill, the Gen 2, without an eco meter, seems to allow more pedal power in forced EV than my Gen 4 or my previous Gen 3 or Prius+.

RCO likes this.
  20. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I didn't know you could do that, but tried this yesterday and it worked! I'm hoping this is a way to nudge the car back "in phase", such that the ICE is running when moving slowly in traffic, and off at lights. Many times I find it's running at a red light, and warms up enough just as the light turn green so I end up cruising at about 20mph on battery. Of course, by the next red light the engine has cooled and switches on again.

But of course the real problem is that my commute home features a lot of slow traffic right from the start. Should be fun tonight when the temperature is in the single digits F.

RCO likes this.