1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you find the leather seats comfortable?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusRos, Aug 3, 2009.

1. LoraJ

LoraJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Is there any way to raise or lower the lumbar support? It does not seem to be hitting me in the right spot. I haven't been able to find the perfect adjustment for my seat yet.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not that I know of. Adjustable (up/down) lumbar is still in the luxury vehicle arena. I guess you could take the seat apart and see if you can move it.

3. Pugsy

Pugsy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm surprised at how comfortable the leather seats are to me, but that may be because I read these forums too much and was expecting the worst. :) The seats are a bit firm, though, and I can see myself getting a sore behind on a long trip.

I do wish the steering wheel would come out just a little more.

4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have put about 1200 miles on mine in the last two days and have no problems with the seats.

I did have problems with the seats in my '05 Prius so whatever they changed for the Gen3 works for me.

5. TracyJ

TracyJ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    when you upgrade to the leather seats, the doors and steering wheel stay the same; no leather there.

6. darkleafar

darkleafar Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, but as an optional upgrade. You have to pay extra. Although that is what the build your prius tool says, I think finding one of those III's with optional leather will be just as hard as finding a III with Solar. As a matter of fact, the latter two are known to be so scarce that it has misleadingly led many people to believe they don't exist at all. Maybe they don't; nevertheless, according to what kinda packages Toyota legally allows, they should exist.

7. pkscout

pkscout Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've found the leather/lumbar support combo a nice upgrade from my 2008 Prius. I had to get a seat insert lumbar support to make the '08 bearable. With the '10 I haven't had any problems, and I commute 140 miles a day.

8. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think the only thing that's leather in the seats is the part of the seat you sit on and lean back against, the parts that have the little perforations. On my car the door panel trim is the same vinyl they use for the "rest of the seats", arm rest, etc. My steering wheel is covered in leather however, and it is very nice.

I have no problem with the use of vinyl in "leather" interiors though, it will probably last longer than the leather parts. I had the same kind of leather/vinyl interior in a Honda Accord, after 5 or 6 years the leather started wearing through but the vinyl looked like it would last forever.

9. Econ

Econ Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    you want tough on the back , drive an Insight:mad:

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe the door is synthetic leather. The other seat parts are vinyl, yes. The door material feels a lot better and doesn't have that shiny gleen that the vinyl pieces have (e.g. the rear seatback sides or the back of the front seatbacks)

11. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had my 2010 Prius IV less than 2 weeks and the "wow" factor had me overlook 1 minor annoyance of the driver's seat. I'm 5'10" and the bottom seat cushion does not provide enough thigh support, unless I lower the seat to the lowest or 2nd lowest setting. However I like to sit a little higher for a better site lines but when I raise the seat, the back of the seat cushion moves up a bit higher than the front to the point I feel like I'll slide out of the seat. Is this normal? Can I add some shims under the front attachment point on the floor without compromising safety or other issues?

12. designeraccd

designeraccd New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Different folks reaction to the same thing is always interesting. I'm 6'2", 210# and it was BECAUSE of the adjustable lumbar that is in these "leather" seats that I could comfortably drive the car!

I have a nerve in my left shoulder that was pinched-THREE operations have failed to totally fix the problem (oh...almost constant pain is such fun...NOT!), so I am EXTREMELY sensitive to what I can sit on.

On a Gen III, model II Prius without the lumbar the seat "lit off" the nerve at exactly 120.6 miles of driving. By going to the slippery "leather" ( I doubt RR will be jealous!) with the lumbar adjustment, I was able to find ONE position of wheel to seat where I can drive the car without a problem. It was the same way in my traded '05 Accord EX-L V6 coupe....ONE position that worked. Therefore the seat effectively sold the car to me, and of course I was after the high mpg that the lil Prius offers, as a "driver's car" it isn't....in the sense that my Corvettes, Porsches, MR2 or Miatas were/are. Still passing ga$ stations is FUN, too!!! DFO :D

13. designeraccd

designeraccd New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I forgot to mention that I prefer a cloth covered seat in lieu of "leather". A good body cloth tends to be more comfortable, in temperature extremes, and usually lasts longer plus isn't slippery like Toyota's "leather" is.

Given that Toyota saw fit to put a heater into the seat, controlled by tiny switches that are in an ergonomically POOR location, but only have one position: HOT....not the best solution. At least my Accord had a hi-lo two position switch, plus they were located on top the center console...hence ergonomically sound. One of the handful of nits I have about the car. DFO ;)

14. PRIUS007

PRIUS007 James Bond -007

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hello all-

Hopefully there are not many others out there with multiple herniated discs in their lower backs like myself, but you will appreciate those firmer seats!

15. jayrider

jayrider Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My leather seats are as comfortable as any car I've owned. My issue with cloth seats is that being older, it's harder to slip in and out since the fabric tends to drag on my pants. I think some manufacturers have tighter weaves of polyester that is smoother. Perhaps it is made from recycled plastic.

16. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I hate to say this, but I find the leather seats less comfortable than the cloth seats I had in my 2006 Prius. I haven't been able to figure out what the problem is, but I think the leather is a little too hard and slippery for me and causes slight pressure on my tailbone. It seems that I have to have my seat adjusted to a specific "sweet spot" or else I get back pain. I am only 5' 1", and would prefer to sit higher -- but I found I have to have the seat at the lowest setting in order to be comfortable.

It could also be because I can't properly rest my arms on the armrests - they are slightly too low and the center console is a terrible design and doesn't have a proper armrest. I don't remember whether the Gen II's armrests were a little higher.

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Unfortunately, this is how Toyota implements its manual height adjustment. It pivots around the front of the seat so as you raise the seat, you're sliding forward. It's annoying. I'm tall but I like to sit up high. With our Camry, it had a cushion tilt function so that I could counter the pivot. With the Prius, I can't so I'm forced to sit lower.

One option is to put spacers under the seat mounts to raise the front of the seat so that you can raise the rear.

18. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess my question is; how easy would it be to add spacer under the seat mounts?

19. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I give my Prius leather seat 8 out of 10. I am 5'7" and it is comfortable enough but not as comfortable as my last MB ML320 or the BMW-X3. The X3 one is the best among the three here.

20. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Priusros, you are right about the driver's door armrest being too low - it is in fact 3/4" lower than the height of center console. Gen II door armrest is about 1/4" higher than center console. Most every car has door armrests reasonably high. I don't know why each gen Prius keeps getting special? little faux pas. This gen, it's floating bridge console, low armrests and scant wheel telescope to driver.

Armrest an easy fix though. There is another thread where OP bought ready made pads to stick on the door armrest.

When renting a 2010 Prius, I went over to a local foam shop and got a few dollar piece of foam material named 'crosslink'. It is very very dense like neoprene, but good for an elbow.

Here is a picture of it attached in the rental car. It doesn't look the best as this is a quick fix, but it makes a much better door armrest. The double sided duct tape underneath doesn't damage the fabric, but it may be a problem on leather. A professional would know the right type of 3M adhesive tape to use on leather.

050705 160.jpg