1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do You "Floor" Your Accelerator Pedal Frequently?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Stangar, Aug 20, 2020.

1. ALS

ALS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Last week I was running late to start with trying to get to the bank before it closed. I get to the road where the my bank is located and find it's been diverted due to construction to one way away from the bank. So I had to do a detour around two miles through neighborhood streets to get to the bank before it closed. I did floored it most of the way to make it on time.

I will say the car actually is now more responsive and seems to run better than it did before this little excursion. I normally drive the car like a little old lady. Maybe I blew the carbon off the plugs and cleaned out the Catalytic Converter with this little high rpm run. 92K on the clock.

douglasjre likes this.
  2. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

3. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The ECU may have reprogram to this new driving style. It relearns for when you drive differently.

4. Mdv55

Mdv55 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    2200-2800 on level ground if just "cruising".

5. abdullah arslan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You know what, you should do it sometimes. My 247k one wasnt driven much this year thanks to covid 19 and I was not happy about acceleration until I made a trip via I94. Flooring a couple times and driving at high speeds are really healthy for cars, they get cleaned up from harmful particles
    Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

douglasjre likes this.
  6. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What happens when you floor it on highway and get the check engine light for overheated inverter in the middle of the freeway and it goes to limp mode with cars behind you?

7. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is a Prius not a Ferrari, flooring it will do nothing for your motor, but make it eat oil.

8. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have done many trips with my foot glued to the floor until the tank ran empty. The only harm that seems to come of it is that the battery goes down to one bar and it shortens its lifespan. I seem to be putting a lot of cycles on the battery pack shortening its life. We have several Priuses with over 200,000 mi. The only engine I replaced thus far for a customer is on a Prius that did not get driven hard. I found it while pulling the trailer if I leave my foot to the floor for about 10 minutes the motor generators reach temperatures around 250 f. I don't think this is good for them and the computer limits max RPMs on the engine at that point to somewhere in the 4,000 something range. They're probably as a limit to how much you should push this car but still we have not had a catastrophic failure despite pushing them this hard

9. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Are these Gen3 motors or Gen2? If you have had no oil issues on Gen3 and drive them hard, you have been the exception.

ASRDogman likes this.