1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you have to feather pedal if you have a enginer conversion kit?

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by Gun owning Prius driver, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Gun owning Prius driver

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I was wondering of you have an enginer plug in conversion kit installed do you have to feather the pedal to accelerate?

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    AFAIK, the way the Enginer kit works, it does NOT change the behavior of the Prius in terms of how easily the ICE kicks in nor can it get around the max EV speed of ~41 mph.

If you add a PHEV kit, you'll probably want to add an EV button (2nd gens in the US never got it).

dave77 likes this.
  3. Gun owning Prius driver

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Heard you can add one with that coastal mod

4. pjc

pjc Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    You can add one with a $2 switch from Radio Shack.

The only thing the Enginer kit does is (almost) continuously add charge to the OEM battery. When the OEM is at a higher SOC, it uses the electric motor more.

With a coolant temp spoofer, I don't even hardly need the EV button, it just depends on how hard you want to accelerate.... The only time I use the EV button is if I know I want to accelerate more quickly on electric power alone (i.e., override the prius computer).

To answer the OP, feathering the pedal still helps encourage the Prius computer to turn off the ICE when you are in S3/S4.