1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you hear rattling noises?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by CivicQc, Oct 25, 2009.

?
  1. Yes, and they bother me

229 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. Yes, but they don't bother me

26 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. No

60 vote(s)
    19.0%
  1. robnbill

robnbill Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I had the same issue. I would take it to Toyota and they couldn't find it. Then I figured out what was happening. The latch mechanism on the rear passenger side is where the noise is coming from. If you unlatch the seat and relatch it, it will go away for a time. That is what Toyota techs would do when looking for something loose. It was standard procedure to see if the seat was latched firmly.

So no small surprise when they could never hear it. The noise would be when the car would be turning into the drive way or some other occasion which would cause the car to flex slightly. I plan on pointing it out to the techs when I take it in for it's first checkup. For now, I just relatch the seat if it gets to be annoying. I plan on trying some light grease where the latch actually latches to see if that will stop it.

That is my only annoying sound. I love the car. I traded in a Lexus IS 250 for it and don't regret it in the least.

Bill

2. nuggetmonkey

nuggetmonkey New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I notice rattling noises on my new Prius, but mostly from above the driver's side roof...

3. Bobby

Bobby New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hmm, I heard it a few times but I thought that maybe it had something to do with the accident I had in August (I hit a deer). Yeah, I only hear it sometimes.

4. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    ONLY noise inside is an occasional 'creak' sound when I press down hard on the console armrest the wrong way. Haven't diagnosed it yet - anybody? Not a big deal at all considering the plastic interior...so far.

5. rlr66

rlr66 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    !

I think it also has to do with the glove compartment latches. They seem to have some play in them which makes a little sound. All in all I love the car and it's features. I don't feel that the materials are "cheap" as some others have stated. I think the feel of the controls is top notch. I marvel at how everything works together seemlessly.

6. Indyking

Indyking Happy Hyundai owner...

I don't know... Indy, Chicago, Madison (WI)... it
    Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Don't worry... they will come...

7. randy_m

randy_m New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, 2500 miles and counting, none yet.

8. Indyking

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Great... maybe your Prius was part of a lot where they were doing a better job building it, although, I think the rattles are a result of poor quality of interior materials rather than building quality...

9. L8rnr

L8rnr New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  10. tonyrenier

tonyrenier I grew up, but it's still red!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Mine rattles when the temp gets below about 55F. When I put on the heater they clear up for the most part. I have 4400 miles on the car. Also, mysteriously my JBL stereo stopped working for two days last week. Brought it in when I had an hour to spare. They couldn't figure it out and said bring it back when I had more time. Two days later it's working perfectly. I don't expect this to continue, the car is not advertized as "self healing".
    Tony Renier
    Green Bay, WI

11. Faber

Faber Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I love my 2010 Prius but, like most owners I also have at least two or three annoying rattles coming from the front dash area. I am very disappointed in the over-all quality of this vehicle. Like an earlier post said--it seems like a cheap plastic car. My wife and I have always own Toyota vehicles over the past 20 years (including a new 2008 Prius with pkg 6) which we also loved but had to give it to a friend in-need. Now with the quality issues of our 2010 Prius being what they are, we will no longer even consider a Toyota vehicle. I hope Toyota gets the message.

Joseph

12. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ummm, I'm in the wrong forum, but on my 09, the driver window rattles a bit if it's down and I'm driving. I Don't mind it much.

13. sshaw10

sshaw10 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

I agree with Spinnr, is this just Gen III or all generations? As quiet as some people say the car is, could it be that noises are more easily heard? Haven't bought mine yet so just a thought. It's starting to worry me though. Maybe I'm back to the RAV4.

14. asj2009

asj2009 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Bingo. I've driven mine 700+ miles already...no rattles at all as far as i can tell.

15. jayvee

jayvee Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Two rattles to report:

One in the glove box area - re-closing the glove box makes it go away for a while.

Another in the driver's side front door, sounds like the metal "lock rod" - a tinny high-pitched metallic rattle. May take my door apart one of these days to fix it...

16. Indyking

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure about gen 2 but in the 2010 Prius (gen 3), the rattles are insane, but I find interesting that some people are not hearing anything, although definitively a minority. Since I wonder how come why? I propose the following poll in the sidelines besides the current OP poll:

Rattles in the new prius? What rattles?

1-Maybe it's too early to tell
    2-Maybe I should lower that JBL sound a little bit
    3-Maybe I drive in way to smooth roads to hear anything
    4-Maybe I should check my ears
    5-Maybe I'm just lucky and will never get any rattles
    6-Do I even know what you guys are talking about?

17. LoraJ

LoraJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I thought I heard a rattle the other day and pointed it out to my husband. He discovered it was just the crap we store in the cup holder.

18. bob brown

bob brown Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I am somewhat dismayed at reading this thread. I have an early 2004 package 9 with about 44,000 miles on it that has absolutely no rattles. Now, after waiting almost six months for my 2010 package 5 (ordered 23May), my dealer announced that he has a vin number, and that the car should be here in less than two weeks. I am wondering if I should back out of deal and look for something else?
    I really love my 2004, and seriously considered keeping it, even though it will probably need a new hybrid battery eventually, etc, and I was looking forward to the new advanced tech features on the new model. What do you think I whould do?

19. Indyking

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bob, this is difficult to answer, but I suspect you will absolutely love the 2010 Prius because most people in the same situation are reporting substantial improvements from the previous generation. The rattles are definitively being an issue for me, but they may not be for you, or you may fit the 20% bucket that is not hearing it yet (although it is too early to tell), or you may find yourself with the same feelings I'm having, which is driving a 30K car that feels like a 10K old car because of the rattles. I do think my Prius rattles more than average but I’m somewhat hypersensitive to these kinds of noises. Like I pointed out in another thread, the new A3 TDI base model is similarly priced to the Prius V with NAV and without AT and that car has unquestionable interior quality in my opinion. Today, as much as I enjoy driving my Prius, if I new about the rattles, the A3 TDI would be my choice since I drive mostly hwy (98%) and TDIs do great MPG with hwy driving, but in that price range of 30K there are other good options available as well.