1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you hear rattling noises?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by CivicQc, Oct 25, 2009.

?
  1. Yes, and they bother me

229 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. Yes, but they don't bother me

26 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. No

60 vote(s)
    19.0%
  1. cwaynedavis

cwaynedavis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The most noticable one in my III is the little entry assistance handle at the top of the drivers door entrance (just above my left ear). It's like a baby rattle on a bumpy road. I find myself reaching up with my left hand and holding it to stop the rattling noise (not it's intended purpose obviously). Sometimes a quick reposition stops it, but if the roads bumpy, it comes back pretty soon. My son says there are things rattling back in the rear, but I can't hear them from the drivers seat :).

2. spyderx

spyderx Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I have plenty of rattles from center console, glove box and today from the rear tray area...tic tic tic....

Made me think to trade this rattle box in for a Honda. But that Insight was so crude ...maybe a used s2k...help

3. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Any possibility that having someone sit in the passenger seat eliminates these rattling noises?

4. ABL

ABL Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Only when I shake my head
    Jim

5. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I have my Prius for 3 months now and the only slight disappointment is the rattling noise. It seems to be from where the center cup holder meets the base. I put some paper between them and it seems to reduce the noise but I'm not 100% sure yet. Still need more time to test it. I am posting picture with this. See the white paper in the picture.

Attached Files:

6. hvanwersch

hvanwersch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    They are very obvious in my car until it warms up. After a while they seem to go away.

7. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have a rattle in the passenger's seat back that stops when I have a passenger. This does not seem to be the location pin squeak covered in the TSB. My seat rattle seems to be caused by the seat back itself. I can stop most of it by putting a couple of folded towels or something between the seat cushion and the seat back. This seems to put tension on the seat back and stop the vibrations.

I am looking for a permanent fix but I don't know how to get the plastic things off the seat back hinges. I don't like to just pry on the plastic pieces with knowing how the clips are inserted because I don't want to break them. Anyone know how to get them off?

8. FloridaAl

FloridaAl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a rattle (it started out as an intermittent vibration) under the dash in the area behind the navigation screen and CD player. It is driving me nuts. Does anyone else have this problem, and what did it take to correct it.

9. lshean

lshean 2006 2008 & 2010 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So far so good after one month no rattles. Both my 2006 and 2008 Prius had rattles during cold weather in the dash.

10. mhajii210

mhajii210 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hi guys I have a 2010 Prius and I am having a strange tick type of noise that I just recently started to notice. I haven't been able to pinpoint it. I can hear the noise mostly during stop and go traffic. It is coming somewhere behind the driver seat from the bottom left side. I can't tell if it's the driver seat or the left back seat. I mostly hear it when I accelerate from a stopped position and then when I remove my foot from the gas pedal. Sometimes it makes the noise when I brake. I think it's coming from the driver seat but moving around while seated doesn't make any noise. Is it possible it's from the battery or something? I know there is a slight tick noise when I first apply the brakes too coming from the brake pedal area. Of course the noise is mostly noticeable when the stereo is off. Please let me know if you guys have any ideas. Thank you!

11. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Look at the easy stuff first. Make sure there is nothing lose and rolling around in the spare tire well, door pockets, glove boxes,and other places like that. Make sure the rear seats are latched. If all else fails read all the rattle threads and see if there is a post from someone who has a similar rattle. Maybe get someone else to drive and ride in back, you might find it that way.

12. LRKingII

LRKingII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Check the seat belt strap buckle part

13. Snapperoo

Snapperoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If I had known I'd have this many rattles, I would have kept my 2002 Prius.
    I'm very disappointed in Toyota for their non-response to my concerns.
    Another day, another rattle... now it's in the center console.

14. mhajii210

mhajii210 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I drove it around at night and what's weird is no noise whatsoever. Seems to happen during the daytime only. Maybe it's temperature related not sure.

15. lunabelgium

lunabelgium Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When the weather is cold.

16. DetroitFlyer

DetroitFlyer New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yep! The floating center console rattles like crazy when the car is cold, (not too unusual on a typical Detroit winter morning). Once the car warms up, it mostly goes away.... When cold, I can actually grab and clamp the floating console with my hand and stop the rattle for the most part. Not sure how to fix this.... Everything seems to be tight and as I said, once warm, it tends to go away. Still pretty annoying for a $33K car....

I will ask the dealer to look at my rattle, but it seems as though a overnight stay will be required as everytime I arrive at the dealer, the car is warm....

17. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The colder it is the more it rattles.

18. mhajii210

mhajii210 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Does anyone know about the front driver seat squeak TSB? I drove my 2010 Prius around during the daytime and the noise is back. It appears to be coming from the bottom left side of the seat track towards the back. Do you guys think this may be covered by this TSB? It's a very slight rattle noise but when it's there it's very annoying. At first I thought it's coming from the seat belt attachment at the lower base near the floor. It's definitely not a squeaking noise so I'm not sure if this is the same issue covered by the TSB. The weird thing is the noise is completely gone at night. Since there's more traffic here in LA during the daytime it could be simply more noticeable when there's stop and go traffic and at lower speeds. I have tried to adjust the seat and I have checked for loose objects, etc. in the car. Anyone with any ideas?

19. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It could be, here is the TSB.

Attached Files:

20. hsiaolc

hsiaolc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius