1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you know where I can swap my Prius engine?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Caspianshark, Oct 27, 2019.

1. Caspianshark

Caspianshark New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Hello folks!

Just found out about this page and I hope I can get some help...
    I have a 2010 Prius with 210K miles on it. Driving the hell out of it this Summer doing Uber/Lyft has murdered my Prius. Cut the story short, I got an alarm with a loud vibration sound when I start the engine first for 30 seconds. Took the car to dealership for a diag and they said it's leaking coolant into the cylinders (blown up head gasket?). They said it's a $4000 cost to fix it. So, I believe it's a better idea to swap the engine since the millage is so high. I live in San Luis Obispo (200 miles north of Los Angeles). I found a place (junk yard/mechanic) in Los Angeles that will sell me an 80K miles engine for $1500 and installation of it for $1000 and will give me a 3 months warranty. I think it's a good deal but when I checked the shop on Yelp website it has a lot of one star ratings for bad service.
    Anyone here knows a better place or deal that you can recommend to me, please?
    I appreciate any help I can get here.
    Thank you

2. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    You might want to post this in the correct area if you hope to get a reply. You've posted in the Prius C area...

3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Technically could use a prius c engine, though most of us aren’t done with ours yet...

dig4dirt likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    there are a couple great places in LA, try hybrid fix

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Caspianshark

Caspianshark New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Thank you so much. I called Avi at Hybrid Fix and I am happy with the price he gave me. Taking my car to him in the next few days. Thank you again. You are awesome :>

bisco and dubit like this.
  6. Caspianshark

Caspianshark New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    No idea what 'C' stands for as I just know I have a Prius (1.8 ltr) and no other info on the model. Thank you though. I found a good place in LA that will swap my engine for a better 2015 engine. Can't beat that :>

7. Caspianshark

Caspianshark New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Thank you. Found a place (Hybrid Fix) in LA that will swap the engine for a 2015. I am a happy camper as my car is gonna be a younger chick with a firmer body :> (sorry, losing my mind here)!

Joele3 likes this.
  8. JayRock_PHX

JayRock_PHX Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I’m going to be doing a swap on my 2012 soon. It’s a 2012 Prius v(Wagon) but I’m putting in the gen4 engine. I already tried the rebuild route and the engine blew a rod after a week. Terrible idea to rebuild. And from what I been seeing I can get a gen4 1.8L 2016-2018 motor with varying mileage but under 100k for around $800ish delivered.

Can’t justify spending $1200 for a gen3 engine and have it doing the same shit. I purchased this Prius for resale like all others that I do.

Marioaz likes this.
  9. Caspianshark

Caspianshark New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Sounds good!
    I just had the place do an engine swap on my 2010 with a 2015 engine that had 55K miles on it. $3800.00
    Apparently the broken water pump had caused/started this problem. I also got a 3 year warranty on it.

bisco and mjoo like this.
  10. JayRock_PHX

JayRock_PHX Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I’m just wondering did you originally get this car for free? Because after buying the car and then paying $3800 to do a replacement engine down the line is actually a waste in my opinion. I’m not sure where you are located but a gen3 especially 2010 goes for like $4000 maybe $4500 with some decent miles like around 150k or so. If the car was like a 2013 or newer then I wouldn’t say what iam. But I guess what’s done is done. Doesn’t matter now.

11. Caspianshark

Caspianshark New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Persona

I live in Central Coast of California. I bought the car 2 years ago for $8,500 that had 150K miles and most importantly, a brand new battery. Doing Uber since then and adding 60K miles to it. This came out of nowhere and since this is my only source of income and I had no saving, I just had to do something about it quickly! Not too many other options. Plus, I got a 3 year warranty with this engine, assuring me (to a point) that I can continue making my income from it for a while until I find a better job.

12. ilovegirls

ilovegirls Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Did you do the engine swap yet? How was the service?

13. Caspianshark

Caspianshark New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Yes, I did. Everything went well but it wasn't cheap.

14. Marioaz

Marioaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three