1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you like DRL - Daytime Running Lights?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Areometer, Feb 5, 2006.

?
  1. Yes, but too bad that mine didn't.

87.5%
  2. Yes, and I'm glad that mine did.

12.5%
  3. No, and I'm glad that mine didn't.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, but unfortunately mine did.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I am totally indifferent.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Huh? What is DRL?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. johnnieliu

johnnieliu New Member

I stand corrected. I did more reading, and HID's do last longer than Halogens, BUT, they are still MUCH MORE expensive to replace. So, it might be a wash.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    US cars are the only ones that get HID. Every other country gets halogens.

3. c4

c4 Active Member

Theoretically they last longer, but in reality you still have to replace the bulbs or electrical components of the HID system at about the same rate as high quality halogens: HIDs don't have a filament that burns out, but they "fail" all the same, their failure/degradation mode is just different (and much more costly)..

Whereas a Halogen bulbs failure modes are quite simple (filament failure and envelope (glass bulb) failure), an HID system can fail for many different reasons.. The bulb can fail if the outer bulb is breached, or if the bulb is overheated and permanent "end-of-life" is reached when the metal salts in the capsule are depleted (although usable light output descreases with on-time and the commonly used 50% output point for end-of-life is usually reached well before this point), but the more likely failure mode is in the electronics- the capacitors and ballasts have a much higher probability of failure than the bulb, and depending on the system, can cost as much or more than the bulbs to replace..

On the other hand, the electrical system of a halogen headlight system is simple and trouble free- a relay and a fuse are typically the only servicable items, and both have very high reliability figures. A high quality halogen bulb can easily last the life of the vehicle, and in case of failures, are very inexpensive to replace.

For HID systems, because the brightness diminishes with time, generally if one bulb fails, you need to replace *both* in order to maintain the same brightness.. The same claim (to replace in pairs) is often made for halogen bulbs, but this is more a ploy to sell more bulbs than a necessity- halogen bulbs tend to produce roughly the same level of light over their entire lifetime, and any variations are more to do with brand/batch; but even if you chose to replace in pairs, it's still much cheaper to replace a pair of halogen bulbs than a pair of HID bulbs. The old sealed-beam headlamps used to require more frequent replacement, but the new halogen bulb systems tend to last a long time..

In terms of visibility, the HID is arguably brighter, and illuminates better, but I personally dislike them because of the glare they create, which is made worse by their blue-shifted spectrum.. I have night contrast issues with my vision and the spill from oncoming vehicles with HIDs nearly blinds me.. I really like the well-engineered halogens in the Prius- excellent pattern and cutoff, minimal spill and the price is right..

As for the original DRL question, I could take them or leave them, but I'd also prefer an option to turn them on/off at will to save energy when parked with the ignition on (yes, I know you can disable them by engaging the parking brake, but this is only at initial start-up; once they turn on, they stay on unless you turn off the ignition first, which is inconvenient and incurs the penalty of the Prius warm-up cycle)..

4. JKnight

JKnight Member

I like them because I can tell when a bulb is burnt or I have a loose connection (have had both problems with my Prius) by looking at the reflection in the car ahead of me. I discover this problem during the daylight hours and can fix it immediately, before I need the headlights and before I'm liable for a "fix-it ticket."

Jan

5. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

PLEASE some clarity! Do the 2006's Prius's have or do they not have Day Time Driving lights????

Toyota salesman said yes, my Prius manual makes reference to them but no mention of how to turn them on. I asks this question before on this site and received answers, both yes and no and one saying only if I bought the care in Canada.

Please can somone clear this up once and for all. If the 2006 Prius does have DRL can someone be kind enough to tell me how to turn them on (or off)?

Thanks

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Roger-

the US prius does not have DRLs. canadian priuses have DRLs. you can just leave your lights on all the time if you like, the car will turn them off when you shut it off and open the driver's door so you don't have to shut them off manually.

7. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My '06 manual clearly states that the '06 has DRL. I just got it yesterday in NY. Page 111 says "The headlights turn on at reduced intensity whn the parking brake is release with the hybrid system started, even with the light switch in the "OFF" position.

You can supposedly turn it off my leaving the headlights on when you turn off the car. I'll have to test it tomorrow when it's daylight to see if it's just a holdover from the Canadian manual.

8. Ian MacDonald

Ian MacDonald Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I like DRLs or having headlights on at all times for the simple reason that you can see a vehicle sooner with the lights on than with them off. I find this especially helpful in town when you come to an intersection and need to check for cross traffic. I find it so much easier to pick up cars that have their lights on. I think that it's because it's easier to distinguish cars with their lights on (and are moving) from the cars that are just parked at the curb.

In any case I don't see why anyone would get their pants in a bunch about DRLs. If your lights come on automatically when the car is running should you really care? As far as premature bulb failure is concerned, I've been turning my lights on in my truck out of habit as soon as I start the engine for 13 years without a single burned out headlight or running light. With my Camry I just leave the headlight switch on permanently since they turn off automatically when I turn off the car. I've been doing this as well for the last 9 years without a single bulb failure.

Cheers,

-- Ian

9. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well my 2006 manual was wrong. I went out and tried it and there was no DRL. I hope that I don't get fooled by anyghing else. At this point I have actually spent more time with the manual than in the car.

10. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I absolutely love my DRLs, and the fact that Canada made them mandatory for all new vehicles. I think it's a significant safety improvement, and I wouldn't want to lose them any more than airbag, anti-lock brakes, or any other accident-avoidance system.

The biggest advantage with DRLs is that OTHER drivers know you are around - I'm not particularly concerned with MY driving, but it's obvious that other drivers aren't always paying attention - and DRL helps your car be more visible to them.

BTW: What a nutty website - their basic premise seems to be that "the US is special because it gets more light in the daytime", and "DRLs are annoying".

The first argument is absurd, and the second is personal preference, but it doesn't bother me in the least. DRLs aren't much brighter than looking at a 60w light bulb in bright sunlight. Noticable, but hardly annoying.

Dave

11. Black2006

Black2006 Member

DRL should be banned, not encouraged.

On motorcycles, DRL are a great thing, because they are much harder to see than cars.

But when every vehicle on the road has DRL, motorcycles get lost. And of course, vehicles without DLR also get obscured.

Wide use of DRL diminishes its value too. An endless parade of lights on a sunny day is just as distracting as thousands of people flashing little mirrors at you. Your's eyes are forced to adjust to the cacofony of lights and they become less noticeable.

IMHO, the idea that you want DRL so that other can notice YOU is akin to driving at night with your long beam on. Yes, it will get you noticed , but it is distracting to others.

As far as not noticing cars during daylight..., if one has trouble seeing 2 ton objects at 50 meters, maybe they shouldn't be driving. Really :rolleyes:

12. Ian MacDonald

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The argument that if everyone has their DRLs on no one will notice them falls apart if you invert the premise. If everyone turned off their lights would they be easier to see? A moving vehicle is always going to be easier to notice if it has its lights on IMHO. The use of DRLs increases the contrast between the vehicle and its surroundings. If all vehicles ran with their lights on it would not make them more difficult to see. It would simply be easier to see all the vehicles.

I'll agree than under ideal conditions most cars are easily seen without DRLs. But there are lots of places where lighting conditions are not ideal even in broad daylight. Take for example a tree-lined street in an urban environment with lots of shade. You come to an intersection that is in full sunlight. Can you easily see vehicles that are passing through the tree shaded areas?

Cheers,

-- Ian

13. Black2006

Black2006 Member

The idea is not just to be easy to see. One can accomplish this much better by using their long beam at night or by turning on a siren and flashing lights. My point is that DRL are distracting and a sensory overload.

On a busy freeway with six lanes packed with headlights, the sea of lights is certainly noticeable, but in a very monotone kind of way (and could cause you to miss the single light motorcycle passing you on your right.)

Greater contrast is good, but you get much greater contrast at night, when you can see the light of oncoming traffic from miles away. By the DRL logic it would follow that it would be easier for most to drive at night, because though there is greater contrast and one can see the lights of an oncoming car from further away than during the day. But the reality for most of us is different.

As for intersections, most accidents involve one car broad-siding another. Hardly the case where DRL would help you, if someone wasn't looking and didn't see the red light or the Stop sign.

14. benighted

benighted New Member

Here in western Washington the weather is usually fairly gloomy year round. Most people that don't have DRL's here run with headlights on during the day, its much easier to see them.

I wired my foglights independant from the headlights so I can use them as DRL's without wearing out the HID's.

15. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You seem really focused on motorcycles, is it that much of an issue? I very rarely see motorcycles on streets and highways around here (Vancouver), maybe only a couple times a week even in the summer. But of course my view of motorcycles is that they're really riding "donor-cycles", so I may be biased :p

Let me assure you that DRLs have been mandatory in Canada since the mid-late 90s, and nobody here seems bothered by them or concerned about them. I recall reading an insurance institute study years ago saying that DRLs reduce vehicle accidents. That's good enough for me to support them being required on all vehicles.

Dave

16. Ian MacDonald

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Let me turn your argument around on you again :) If we took that six lanes of traffic and turned off all of their lights, would the cars be easier to see? (Ignoring the motorcycle issue for now which seems to be a major factor in your concerns.)

It is my understanding that DRLs were designed to reduce accidents in situations where vehicles are inherently difficult to see or where the lighting conditions are marginal. Since we can't, in most cases, know when we'll encounter one of these situations having the lights on all the time is the best we can do. You don't need a lot of safety features in your vehicle until right before an accident but you use them always just in case.

As far as driving at night, barring bad eyesight such as poor night vision, I find that it is easier to see other vehicles then than in the day time. In fact, I prefer driving at night for this reason.

I would beg to differ regarding accidents at intersections. Crossing an intersection these days even with the right of way (such as a green light) it still fraught with danger. I make it a habit to check for vehicles that may not be yielding to me before and while entering an intersection. I've been saved by this on many occasions. DRLs in these cases would make it easier to see the approaching vehicles so I don't think I understand you argument against them here.

In any case, DRLs are only a part making driving safer. Defensive driving is the key I believe. This is especially true for riding motorcycles or other vehicles that guarantee that you'll come out second best in an accident, you need to assume that you are invisible to everyone around you and drive accordingly.

Cheers,

-- Ian

17. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    im surprised that i have not voted in this, but probably have commented. i will comment again.

waste of juice.

either its dark or it aint.

18. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It looks like a close call to me. We have had two Volvos sice 1998. They came with DLR lights. One Volvo got traded for the Prius. I turn the Prius headlights on in the day only where the State has posted a sign asking drivers to turn on their lights. The rest of the time I don't because the headlights in the Prius are so expensive to replace.

19. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the only time i have ever considered headlights on in daylight is on 2 lane roads through the desert where straight stretches can go on for miles. in town??? never and DRL's dont let you choose.

i didnt want to alter my mileage enough to get a baseline on how much lights cost to operate so dont know and DRL's use less energy, but even if its only .1 mpg. that is enough for me to not do it since i consider to be of no benefit at all.

20. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hell the way toyotas are designed you can just leave your lights on all the time. They shut off with the key.. Why spend the extra money ? unless they made a snap in extra bulb that didn't tax you exisiting head light sys.