1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you like the new body design?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Barcelona Red Lass, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Barcelona Red Lass

Barcelona Red Lass Sips gas like fine wine!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have a 2007, and was eagerly looking forward to the 3rd gen, thinking I might buy another Prii in a year or two...but I don't like the body design. The front and rear, which used to be so cute, now just look chopped off...

Am I being a baby about this? I won't go back to a gas guzzler, but i really don't like the front and rear ends now.

1 person likes this.
  2. radiocycle

radiocycle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, I think the new bod is cool! Looks like it's going 60mph when it's standing still!

3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I love the new design, both inside and out. Don't get me wrong I loved my 2006 very much but the GIII just seems sportier to me, at least the Prius V. If I had to wish they made something look different on the GIII it would have to be the rear... It looks a bit too much like the GII to the average person. It may be time to have the lights horizontal not vertical anymore and incorporate them a bit into the lift gate.

4. Tamyu

Tamyu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I understand how you feel. I really liked the design of the Gen II, but when I saw the Gen III the first few times thought it looked horrible. The weird shape of the front with way too much emphasis on the huge Toyota mark, and the sort of sharp rectangle of the back... Well, it was sort of disappointing.

And then it grew on me. I can`t say I think it`s a beautiful thing to look at, but then again I`ve never been too into the appearance of a car. And I must say that after seeing some driving around and comparing them to the Gen II, the design really is a lot more ... sleek? Streamlined? Now the Gen II looks a bit old in terms of design.

5. go17car

go17car New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I love, love the look of the G3. I have been following Prius for the past 2 years, but just couldn't get past the boxy look of the previous generations. I have known for years that I wanted one of these cars, and now I finally have it and I love the soft curves + the sportiness of the IV-Solar.

6. anniea

anniea New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think it's got a great Jetson look. It's quite futuristic. By the standards of what we consider an attractive car today, it's odd-looking, but if you think of form following function, it's beautiful, and more striking than Gen II, which to me looks a little bit like a beetle. Just as its innards are different from other cars, so is its exterior.

[​IMG]

7. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think the Gen III is a major improvement design wise, both interior and exterior. I seriously considered a 2008, then 2009, but just couldn't do it.

The previous gen's exterior looked a bit frumpy to my eye, whereas the Gen III actually has a sporty look to it. Forward leaning, with a crease line along the sides. And the aero corners are both functional and aesthetically pleasing.

And the interior is so much nicer.

Just one man's opinion.

8. mccats

mccats New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I love it! Never owned one before, so the new look drew me to it. Ordered one before they hit the US. Our salesman wouldn't even let us sit in or drive a 2009 because he said they were totally different. Real happy with it and the way it looks.

9. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    For the most part I like it. The front end could use something... I am just not sure what.

Peter

10. MidWestGirl

MidWestGirl New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I never cared for the way the Prius looked before the Gen III's. They were too alien-esque for my taste. I find the Gen III to be more pleasing to the eye.

11. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As an owner of the prev Gen II, I really do like the Gen III. I think the interior is a major improvement. I'm a little upset that they made the gear changer more conventional. I liked where it is on mine as it was unobtrusive. I just can't buy one now because my 2004 has so much life left in it. I think it is a waste of money to trade in a perfectly working automobile just to get the newest model. I love to get the most buck out of my cars. Plus, I actually want to see how long this thing will last!!!

12. azgringo

azgringo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think the Gen III looks MUCH better than the Gen II. I really considered an '09 Gen II, but I just didn't like the way it looked. Too "wimpy" for my tastes. I heard the Gen III was going to be different, so I waited for it to come out. To me, it looks beefier and sportier than the previous generations, but everybody will have different tastes. If you like the Gen III and want one, then get one. If not, go for something else that you'd be happier with.

13. CAR4TWO

CAR4TWO New Member

Model:
    III
    I love the sporty look!:eek: A Gen II Prius owner waved at me today!

14. Arjin Combs

Arjin Combs New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The nose on the Gen 3 is okay, but overall, I much prefer the looks of the Gen II.

15. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Gen I = tadpole
    Gen II = toad
    Gen III = prince

16. devious1

devious1 Tigers love pepper...

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    --

LMAO, I love it...seriously waited a couple years for this body style...the Japanese concept of the GenIII kept me from becoming a owner in 2008 and 2009.

17. maledyris

maledyris New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I first started looking for a car, I was mildly interested in the gen II. I thought as the OP and others. Kind of cute, kind of frumpy, but interesting too. I'd be ok with that. But then I saw pics and videos of the 2010, and THAT'S when I got excited about the idea of owning a Prius! I love the more sporty look and gadgets! Though I agree, a different back might have been nice. Some of the concepts look pretty striking.

18. wwbarr

wwbarr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    based upon the Gen II cargo mat laid out in the Gen III cargo area, the Gen III interior cargo area is definitely a bit wider so I can live with the redesign of the rear exterior body !

19. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yeah, the rear is basically the same, but they probably did it on purpose so it's still recognizable as a Prius.

I solved the disconcerting look of the split hatchback glass by getting mine in black :cool:

20. eldiee

eldiee Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    We had a 2005 and this new 2010 V is so much better to look at especially from the side(not sure about the big nose). It looks more like a sports car compared to our 2005. We like the interior better also than the GenII.