1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you listen to NPR? If you do, are you then a liberal?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, Jun 5, 2007.

1. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Greenkeeper @ Jun 6 2007, 08:24 PM) [snapback]456973[/snapback]</div>
    Flagophile! You must be a member of Colbert Nation!

2. formerVWdriver

formerVWdriver New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Jun 6 2007, 09:11 PM) [snapback]457001[/snapback]</div>
    I would like to trash your opinion, but you are absolutely right.
    So maybe I should trash you?

3. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(formerVWdriver @ Jun 6 2007, 06:23 PM) [snapback]457009[/snapback]</div>
    By all means, but you'd find yourself standing at the end of a very long line. :lol:

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Actually, not that liberal.

"That NPR harbors a liberal bias is an article of faith among many conservatives. Spanning from the early ’70s, when President Richard Nixon demanded that “all funds for public broadcasting be cut†(9/23/71), through House Speaker Newt Gingrich’s similar threats in the mid-’90s, the notion that NPR leans left still endures.

News of the April launch of Air America , a new liberal talk radio network, revived the old complaint, with several conservative pundits declaring that such a thing already existed. “I have three letters for you, NPR . . . . I mean, there is liberal radio,†remarked conservative pundit Andrew Sullivan on NBC ’s Chris Matthews Show (4/4/04.) A few days earlier (4/1/04), conservative columnist Cal Thomas told Nightline , “The liberals have many outlets,†naming NPR prominently among them.

Nor is this belief confined to the right: CNN anchor Wolf Blitzer (3/31/04) seemed to repeat it as a given while questioning a liberal guest: “What about this notion that the conservatives make a fair point that there already is a liberal radio network out there, namely National Public Radio ?â€

Despite the commonness of such claims, little evidence has ever been presented for a left bias at NPR , and FAIR’s latest study gives it no support. Looking at partisan sources—including government officials, party officials, campaign workers and consultants—Republicans outnumbered Democrats by more than 3 to 2 (61 percent to 38 percent). A majority of Republican sources when the GOP controls the White House and Congress may not be surprising, but Republicans held a similar though slightly smaller edge (57 percent to 42 percent) in 1993, when Clinton was president and Democrats controlled both houses of Congress. And a lively race for the Democratic presidential nomination was beginning to heat up at the time of the 2003 study.

Partisans from outside the two major parties were almost nowhere to be seen, with the exception of four Libertarian Party representatives who appeared in a single story (Morning Edition , 6/26/03).

Republicans not only had a substantial partisan edge, individual Republicans were NPR ’s most popular sources overall, taking the top seven spots in frequency of appearance. George Bush led all sources for the month with 36 appearances, followed by Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld (8) and Sen. Pat Roberts (6). Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, Secretary of State Colin Powell, White House press secretary Ari Fleischer and Iraq proconsul Paul Bremer all tied with five appearances each.

Senators Edward Kennedy, Jay Rockefeller and Max Baucus were the most frequently heard Democrats, each appearing four times. No nongovernmental source appeared more than three times. With the exception of Secretary of State Powell, all of the top 10 most frequently appearing sources were white male government officials.

SIDEBAR::
    The Right Stuff: NPR ’s think tank sources

FAIR’s four-month study of NPR in 1993 found 10 think tanks that were cited twice or more. In a new four-month study (5/03–8/03), the list of think tanks cited two or more times has grown to 17, accounting for 133 appearances.

FAIR classified each think tank by ideological orientation as either centrist, right of center or left of center. Representatives of think tanks to the right of center outnumbered those to the left of center by more than four to one: 62 appearances to 15. Centrist think tanks provided sources for 56 appearances.

The most often quoted think tank was the centrist Brookings Institution, quoted 31 times; it was also the most quoted think tank in 1993. It was followed by 19 appearances by the conservative Center for Strategic and International Studies and 17 by the centrist Council on Foreign Relations. The most frequently cited left-of-center organization was the Urban Institute, with eight appearances.

Diversity among think tank representatives was even more lopsided than the ideological spread, with women cited only 10 percent of the time, and people of color only 3 percent. Only white men were quoted more than twice, the most frequent being Anthony Cordesman of the Center for Strategic and International Studies (8 appearances), Michael O’Hanlon of Brookings (7) and E.J. Dionne, also of Brookings (6). "

How public is Public Radio?

5. echase

echase New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(formerVWdriver @ Jun 6 2007, 09:06 PM) [snapback]456997[/snapback]</div>
    I said A voice, not neccesarily the voice. If you were the voice, it would be quite a privledge to have your ear.

I think my point here is that it seems to me that as a group evangelical Christians have aligned themselves with a president who has a morraly bankrupt environmental policy. I beleive that caring for the Earth should be THE priority. It's hard to care for people if thier planet is ruined. Care for people is a natural progression of this primary ethic.

My interpretation of the Bible tells me that God created us in the image of a creator, then gifted us this planet. We couldn't just accept things the way they were and live in harmony in The Garden, we had to take knowledge (good and evil) for ourselves. God said fine, but now you get to be the gardener.

Now this knowledge has given us the Prius, solar power, the deep drilling oil ring and the nuclear bomb. Still we are choosing as a nation to disregard the knowledge of good technology that can bring us in harmony with the planet, and continue to accept the greed and powermongering of a government-industrial complex that is destroying the gifts of the creator.

I take exception with religous leaders who are not standing up in the face of overwhelming evedence of impending environmental catastrophy and denoucing so called leaders who have been complacient, or even willing partners to this destruction of our holy earth.

Do I sound like a liberal now?

Or was I disqualified and banned from starbucks for not bieng a godless heathen? :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(formerVWdriver @ Jun 6 2007, 09:06 PM) [snapback]456997[/snapback]</div>
    There are over 400 psychoactive alkaloids in chocolate. What is it with republicans and thier drug habbits! :lol:

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Greenkeeper @ Jun 6 2007, 09:57 PM) [snapback]457090[/snapback]</div>
    Who you callin' a Republican?!

7. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Jun 6 2007, 01:24 PM) [snapback]456633[/snapback]</div>
    ;)
    Someone created the watch, otherwise it would not be there...

Its a simple question with a simple answer..... :mellow:

But I can see the topic has turned LEFT off of the paved road and is traveling off into left field. :rolleyes: :lol:

8. adamwmcanally

adamwmcanally New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hycamguy07 @ Jun 7 2007, 12:18 PM) [snapback]457395[/snapback]</div>
    It's still an unfair analogy (if you drive to the heart of the question) , but I'll bite.

Would you assume that the watchmaker smelted the metal, or invented watchmaking technology. Of course not, you would assume that it was built using the knowledge of hundreds of generations passed along through the years with each generation utilizing the best technology that was provided to him and improving it however slightly.

9. echase

echase New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jun 7 2007, 01:07 AM) [snapback]457163[/snapback]</div>
    Godiva, Republicans have drug habits. I beleive you, like many liberals, are not so much of a habit user but more of a connesuer! :p

Ineresting how stereotypes put the right wing on Prescription Drugs, Alchohol, Cocaine and Methemphetamines, but potheads and acid trippers are stereotypically liberals... perhaps we should start another thread... "Did you inhale? If so, are you a liberal?"

10. formerVWdriver

formerVWdriver New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Greenkeeper @ Jun 7 2007, 04:01 PM) [snapback]457548[/snapback]</div>
    All the Republicans I know are serious chocolate abusers. Diet Coke, too. At the same time.

Kind of like how I drive my Prius. I can feel all self-righteous, but I'm still burning gas.

I didn't know who was using all the meth. I didn't know it was us. The folks who make it appear to be of the Pit Bull Party, and I'm not claiming them.

11. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rae Vynn @ Jun 6 2007, 12:47 PM) [snapback]456757[/snapback]</div>
    Whew! Thanks for acknowledging my awesome contribution! I was afraid it would just be glossed over. :)