1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you miss manual transmissions?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ghomner, Oct 10, 2008.

1. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Miss a manual, no.
    Always drove manuals, Minis, Fiats, RX2s and a lumbering Falcon along with may other cars that went through my grubby hands and all manual. My 1968 Toyota Crown is a 3 on the tree plus overdrive, that is hard to drive smooth! I enjoyed driving manuals but I can punt the Prius through the hill as hard as any of them except the Mini and the RX2 which was heavily modified, and have a ball. The confidence of regen braking and 4 wheel discs is a big help.

If you really feel the urge the B position can be used like a manual downshift but it wastes energy.

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I prefer the parking brake off to the side, too, but I wouldn't think about using it in an emergency. Isn't that what the big pedal in the middle is for?

3. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't miss "clutch leg" in stop and go traffic. The Prius is great in traffic.

Dbcassidy

4. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes. That's why I kept my Impreza. The Prius still feels like a rental car. My first automatic, first 4 door, and the foot operated parking brake is right out of a rental car. Still, for what it is, its a great commuter car, and doubles the mpgs of the trusty Subaru!

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The parking brake is the last level of redundant braking if you don't count dragging your foot out the door. The Prius has the following braking systems:

1) Regenerative braking though the front wheels.

2) Electrically driven power brakes with super capacitor backup and two independent hydraulic systems, providing four wheel friction brakes with ABS.

3) Dual manual hydraulic brakes for the front wheels.

4) Manual cable operated rear brakes via the parking brake lever.

Hopefully you will never get that far into an emergency, but it's good to remember that it's there if that's all you have left.

Tom