1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you park then turn off car or turn off without park

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Will_Prius16, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I read the "Quick Reference Guide" again (and the first part of the owner's manual) and if I understand correctly, it says to apply the foot parking brake first, then the "P" button. Then Power Off.

Especially important on a hill, parking brake first, otherwise the car will be resting on the transmission gear?? Something like that. (But, whatever works :). I forget to turn the dang power off half the time!)

Prius Maximus, grape808 and RCO like this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Other than to standardize your routine between a Prius and another vehicle with conventional shifter, I can't see a reason to push the Park button when shutting down. Shutting down puts it in Park.

Keep right foot on the brake pedal, power down, left foot push down parking brake, all done.

RCO likes this.
  3. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    ....but before the 3 P's, I have to turn off the DRL's, and the AC, and the radio. Then put up the Heat Shields... It takes me about 10 minutes to exit my car. ;)

RCO likes this.
  4. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    "Anybody that knows me, knows that I'm a book man. I believe everything was put in the book for a purpose. Deviate from the book, and you'd better have half a dozen good reasons... and you'll still get an argument from me. There's the right way, the wrong way, the Navy way, and MY way."
    -Captain Phillip Francis Queeg

"The Caine Mutiny"

KrPtNk, RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  5. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know why, but I always use the parking brake. Even when I'm parked for only a minute.

I always press start to park and turn the car off. Much quicker.

Mendel Leisk and RCO like this.
  6. cabecker01

cabecker01 New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just pull in the garage and press the power button. I only use park when I plan to leave the car running.

RCO likes this.
  7. dstahre

dstahre Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Been there, done that. I accused my girlfriend of leaving her purse (and thereby her fob) in the car because the car was warning me that something was wrong when I tried to lock it! o_O

RCO likes this.
  8. Frederickdawg

Frederickdawg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Pull into garage depress parking brake and then press P then start to shut down.

SM-G928T

RCO likes this.
  9. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Encore un fois, et encore!

krmcg likes this.
  10. grape808

grape808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Parking brake, Park button, Power button, exit car, lock door, sit and read manual for 10 minutes while listening for beeps and looking for errant lights.

RCO and krmcg like this.
  11. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes! If on a hill, it's best to use the parking brake first, ensure the car doesn't move, then place in park. You don't want to have pressure on the transmission. Years ago if there was too much pressure on the tranny, it locked up the steering and it was difficult to get into drive and go the next time you started.

I rarely hit park first. 13 years of Prii, and 99 times out of 100 I just hit the power button. But I live in the flatlands, so I never really need the parking brake. I also have never developed a habit of using the parking brake because way back when with drum brakes, the drums would warp under the pressure, especially if it sat a couple days without use.

RCO and grape808 like this.
  12. zhaofei

zhaofei New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In 2017 Prius manual, it say if you turn off power when in D / B / R gear, Prius will going into P automatically.
    I try on my 2017 Prius Touring(Canada), the P LED will turn on for about half second when I power off from D

RCO likes this.
  13. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My UK Biz edition, (similar to US 3 model) also goes to park if I press the Power button before the Park button and then turns off. Found this out a couple of times, so all the tuition I've received from you good guys has completely gone to waste :LOL:

krmcg likes this.
  14. gvp1995

gvp1995 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    My routine is:
    1. While the foot is still on brake, press "P"
    2. Apply parking breaks
    3. Power button.

The reason for this slightly reversed sequence is the fact that "P" is only illuminated when the headlights are ON. So when I go in the pretty dark garage (I use headlights on AUTO) there is a delay maybe half a minute or so before the headlights are switched ON and I can see where the "P" button is. This dark dashboard (together with the fact the "P" was in completely different place in Gen 2) was enough for me to press something else thinking it was "P" in the dark, and since the parking brakes was already applied (as I did in the beginning), the car did not move but in was still in "D"!!! I guess such sequence was the main reason the parking brake issue was discovered, and led to recall.

The "P" button must be illuminated at all times in my opinion.

15. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In UK my Park button does light up whenever selected and if I Power off before selecting Park whether the headlights are on our not..

16. gvp1995

gvp1995 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    In the US it is also lights up WHENEVER SELECTD. But not before it is selected. The problem is to select what you don't see.

When the headlights are ON then the "P" button is illuminated with a blue light. When you press it, additional green light appears on the button. When the headlights are OFF then there are no lights are on "P" button, and this is a problem when it is dark.

RCO likes this.
  17. gvp1995

gvp1995 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Valid message

18. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why don't you keep your lights on till after you've selected Park? I don't think that should prove too difficult if locating the button at night is the problem.:)

Prodigyplace likes this.
  19. gvp1995

gvp1995 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    In the night there is no problem as the headlights are ON and Park button is illuminated. The problem for me starts when during the day I go into rather dark garage and cannot see any of the button on the dash board. I use my headlight on AUTO. (Why - is a topic for another discussion). First when I read that there is a problem with the parking brake, and it can disengage if the car is not in the "P" mode, I thought only idiots could do it. But after doing it myself a few times I realized there is a systemic issue here. Then I started consciously looking for "P" button before I do anything else. Otherwise if I apply parking brake first, I could end up having the car in "D" mode without knowing it.

BTW, some other people reported similar issue on this forum but during the very bright day!

20. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Strange! Mine sounds an alarm if I accidentally try to power off before going to neutral and won't let me. With the greatest respect, may I suggest you either use a small torch, or develop a routine (with a checklist of necessary), where you turn the side lights on in order to see the Park button illuminated before you shut down. However, in tempted to think you are overthinking this INTO a problem that doesn't actually exist.

krmcg likes this.