1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you power wash your engine compartment?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by scott.in.colorado, Feb 15, 2013.

1. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My dad used to run the hose every once in awhile to a hot engine bay. Never had a problem over some 20 years. Cleans it up real nice. Then he did that to my 2 year old corolla. The car drove really rough the next day. I took it to the dealer and they said water got into two of the cylinder hoses. $10 to replace the hoses and $190 to diagnose, dry, and install the wires. My dad stopped washing engines bay.

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yup. Dad didn't have a $4000 inverter and high voltage under the hood either.

Merkey likes this.
  3. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Make sure all of the connections are tight first and all of the caps are closed, and dipsticks are pushed in.

I use simple green or super clean, mixed 1:3 and a brush to agitate surfaces. A garden hose is usually sufficient unless you have some oil leaks. As long as you aim the direct spray away from the spark plug tubes or dipsticks, you should not have a problem.

As usual, it is all about proper technique...

4. Alphawolf

Alphawolf Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am sometimes amazed at the poor advice here. NEVER EVER run a garden hose under the hood of a Prius! Far far to much water! I have been power washing a Prius (2 different onesnow) since2006. No problems ever. A garden hose puts out more water in 30 seconds than a power washer does in 5 minutes. Be prudent. Keep the nozzle back a ways and use your head a little on where you aim the thing.