1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you really need the cabin filter ?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by jayrider, Oct 19, 2010.

1. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Personally, I'd rather have fresh air in the cabin. I'm more concerned about my health than a fan's health. ;)

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can get a fram for 10 bucks. i would not want all the junk that was on my filter, in my car. $20,000.+ investment, seems like a funny place to save a few bucks. if you do make your own, make sure it is airtight with a rubber seal around the edge. good luck!:)

3. Mike_10

Mike_10 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If ride my bike on the side of the road on a hot and dry day... and a truck passes me...: I hold by breath for a little bit not to bite the dust.
    It's simply luxury to have the cabin filter in your car: choose it or loose it. It's up to you.

4. esoniat

esoniat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is a great response. Not using a filter is a bad idea, for your cars maintenance.

5. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That must be one cheaply made blower motor.

6. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I do understand that there are also fans/ cooling needed for the traction battery. so if we ignore that. I'd have to say most cars produced today don't have cabin filters in them so i don't think it's a big deal.

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Having grown up along a very dusty gravel road, I purposely avoid recirc mode unless following in the dust trail of someone else.

When I was a kid, mom normally kept the climate control turned off, because the 'draft' annoyed her. That caused the air passing the slight upper door and window seal gaps to create a very slight vacuum inside the car. That in turn caused makeup air to infiltrate through other seal gaps in the lower door frame. Unfortunately, that makeup air was heavily loaded with dust kicked up by our own car, and it was far worse for us kids in back than for the adults up front. When sunlight struck the dust streams just right, it was quite artful watching it flow in through the weatherstrip gaps. But I hated it.

I prefer to create a slightly positive pressure inside the cabin, fed by the cleaner air from the climate intake up front, and keeping down that dust infiltration.

Throughout the 1980s, the local paper was typically reporting at least one carbon monoxide fatality per year in automobiles, typically children sleeping in the back seat. I'm sure that CO entered through the same paths as the gravel dust I watched so many times.

I'm keeping that cabin air filter installed.

Andyprius1 likes this.
  8. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I did the same on both filters.

catteridge likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i just use toilet paper, works perfectly.(y)

10. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Old thread, but appropriate for soon-to-be Spring cleaning. I practice the "false" economy of cleaning the HVAC filter at least twice before replacement. Spray it down with 409, agitate carefully between pleats with a small paint brush, rinse and dry and you're good to go. I keep my filter in to avoid the build up of funk on the evaporator coil which, with it's very thin wall aluminum construction, could cause it to fail. Keeps the system fresh-smelling also. Speaking of which, I'm due for an E-box flush which I haven't done before. Going to try the Kool-It product.

11. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Used?

AzWxGuy likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Oh gedoutahere, lol.

13. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just cleaned my cabin filter this afternoon. I have a high quality, cleanable cabin filter. It was my first cleaning after ~23k miles. It was cleaner than I thought, but definitely had some dirt clumps inside. Cabin filters are a must in a dusty desert climate.

14. Vman455

Vman455 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just replaced my cabin filter at 60,000 miles. Comparing to the new filter, it was surprising how much dirt it had picked up.