1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you really need the emergency brake?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by C Clay, Jan 31, 2013.

1. C Clay

C Clay Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just bought my 2001 with 153k on it and I notice that sometimes it didn't appear to fully engage in park. What I mean is that.... If I park on a a small incline occasionally after I put it in park and take my foot of the brake..... It will pop into park..... Or I'll have to wiggle a little when I notice the key can't be removed from the ignition. Now that I notice this.... I can make sure it is fully in park each time.

My emergency brake cable doesn't work (and I always do use this religiously on my other cars), and I think having it reduces strain on the transmission..... But darn its near 300 bucks to replace I'm told.

It's pretty flat around here and my mechanic says I can live without it if I don't want to spend the cash.
    Replace now or live without? Paid 3500 for the car.

2. youngnbald

youngnbald Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I have never used the emergency brake. My family lives in Dubuque, Iowa and there is extreme hills there. Never had transmission problems or issues from not using an emergency brake. I would go without the repair.

3. C Clay

C Clay Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Lol you definitely gotta make sure jets in park! I think my thinking is from my first job delivering pizza where the owner said it was cheaper to replace an emergency brake cable than to replace the transmission.

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    In the UK and Europe your car would fail the MOT "yearly test of being road worthy". This brake is not considered to be a parking brake here, but a secondary means of stopping the vehicle "the term emergency brake". This would also "if checked in a roadside safety check" would mean the vehicle taken off the road until it is repaired and tested, and possibly a fine for driving a non road worthy vehicle.

John (Britprius)

5. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    i would get it fixed. if you ever try to sell the car, or get it inspected and they check that, here in pa that would fail inspection. and the mechanics check those. plus i use it for my transmission's sake to take stress off the park pawl and internals. and you said your having trouble getting into park, i would fix it. last thing you need is to have that car roll away and hit a house, car, or worst a kid. not worth it to not fix it.

I would disconnect the cable back at the rear brake drums and use the pedal and see if the cable moves, if it does, put everything back together and adjust your rear brakes. my e brake didnt work when i got mine at 150k also. paid $4000. but all i had to do was adjust the rear brakes and bingo it works great now.

C Clay likes this.
  6. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would get it fixed to be safe. Sounds like your trans could fail and the car could roll away without the second brake to stop it the car could hurt or kill someone.

scotman27 likes this.
  7. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the gen1 is designed anything like the genII or any others... there is parking pin/claw that engages when you hit P... if you don't use the parking/emergency brake while on inclines, you can eventually wear or out risk braking your parking mechanism. the rollback you feel is the gap between your current position and pin engagement spot...

you can use it to stop... that's usually why it isn't set very tight.. at highway speeds, if your rear brakes were to lock up because they are set too tight, your rear end will skid and you'll spin out of control (worse case scenario)

so.. it is needed.. probably... almost definitely yes.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Famous Last Words

9. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds to me like your shift cable my be out of adjustment. This could be why you're having trouble with it staying in park as well as removing the key.

Brakes are kind of important. The more braking systems you have the better. Should you have a failure with your service brakes your parking brake will come in handy. $300.00 is miniscule compared to the costs that can potentially arise from an accident.

Avi

Britprius, scotman27 and C Clay like this.
  10. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    GenI and GenII Prii have completely different systems. GenIs have a traditional cable system connecting the gear shift to the parking mechanism

11. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not exactly referring to how Park physically engages (electrical/mechanical)... I'm simply stating that there is a paw that engages and it has "slack" of sorts between the engagement of the paw and actual catch of the paw.

not to be confused with the emergency/parking brake (rear wheels).

if it was my car i would get these problems fixed. these cars roll very well and even the slightest incline might be putting pressure on the parking paw, therefore causing some sort of damage over time. (much worse if you are at a location or visiting a location that has steep inclines)

I see this as general practice for all cars.. not just my genII or your genI... but every car I've ever owned or driven (or large trucks for that matter)