1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do You Regret Not Taking a Higher Option Pack?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tenor1, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree; the aftermarket stuff may work a bit better or be a bit cheaper, but I really like how everything is built in when one purchases the higher number packages.

Also (with the exception of my old Porsche 993, which was too WAAAAY too expensive to maintain), I tend to buy a new car and then drive it until it dies. I figure that fifteen or twenty years is a long time to be dissatisfied.

It seems to me that having the car as delivered makes it less likely that someone will want to break in, and steal whatever piece of aftermarket equipment might be visible at the moment.

But, that's just me!

2. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sassy Pamela @ Jul 12 2007, 05:31 PM) [snapback]477769[/snapback]</div>
    To each their own.

I guess this is why car companies create options. I'd have regrets if I spent money on something that didn't improve my ability to get from point A to point B on as little fuel as possible. I got a package 1 because it was the lowest available package. The side airbags are good to have for insurance, but none of my previous cars have had them. I could've done without power windows and power locks, honestly. Sure, leather and SKS would be nice, but I'd rather have the money in the bank or in something that won't depreciate. Eventually I'll burn a CD and test out that feature (before my long road trip in August?), so I've still got new toys to play with on my 16-month old car.

3. eberrong

eberrong Junior Member

I DO regret not getting everything! I got a 2007 package 2. I wish I had bluetooth, nav, leather. Nav built in is the way to go in my opinion. Oh well, I will be buying a hybrid van in a few years (if toyota or honda will ever bring one to the usa) and I'll get all the bells and whistles on that.

4. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I went purely for safety and got the Vehicle Stability Control along with the side airbags. I consider them to be a must-have item, and Stability Control will have to be standard on ALL cars in a few years...it's that good. As a bonus with the VSC, I also got HID headlights (which I really like) and the Smart Key, which I will absolutely, positively, never be without again. It looked like just a cute gadget when I first read about it, but I lovelovelovelovelovelove it!!!!!!

5. dorf

dorf Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    2007,Classis Silver- Package #2--All I need !!

6. mindcrime67

mindcrime67 New Member

I have option package #4 and the only thing sometimes I wish I got was the leather. Not that I need leather but I'm worried about the cloth on the arm rests wearing out and looking like crap after a few years. Other than that I didn't need the nav and the option package #4 has everything else.

7. NoVaSnow

NoVaSnow Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nybiker @ Jul 12 2007, 05:46 PM) [snapback]477741[/snapback]</div>
    My 2006 Package #6 is equivalent to the 2007 Package #4.

I agree with everything said by nybiker, especially the highlighted items above.

HID headlights are a great help to those of us on the other side of 50 who don't see as well at night.

The auto-dimming mirror works very well. Plus, it has Homelink, which is a nice feature that has worked perfectly since day 1.

I'm quite happy with the 6-CD changer. I'm not an audiophile, so it sounds fine to me.

The Bluetooth is wonderful. It works seemlessly with my Sanyo Katana from Sprint.

I agree about not needing NAV. Although I am a gadget freak and would have enjoyed playing with it, I really couldn't justify the extra cost. Most of my driving is local or to long-distance places I've been before.

As for leather, I couldn't care less.

8. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Pkg #2 is all I need and am happy. I wanted the VSC but nothing else. I don't need the smart key but it came with it. Give me an old fashioned key and lock cylinder with no electronics anytime. Previous car had HID lamps, but the halogens are just fine, they work well and replacement bulbs are about $8. Backup camera works well and was a bargain in the package, but I rarely look at it, and turned off the beeper. I started turning off the MFD lately and my mileage is up 1-2 mpg and I look at the road more, so if it lacked MFD it would be fine too. The backup camera still goes on with screen off. If they just put two "climate" knobs on the dash it would be simpler to set the "climate" IMO. :)

9. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mcbrunnhilde @ Jul 13 2007, 06:55 AM) [snapback]478006[/snapback]</div>
    Ditto!

10. sb.rocks

sb.rocks New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mr.Vanvandenburg @ Jul 13 2007, 07:09 AM) [snapback]478068[/snapback]</div>
    yup, it's ridiculously cumbersome to run just the fan.

11. ZA_Andy

ZA_Andy Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I went for package #4 because I wasn't impressed with the Nav in a package 5 I'd driven, and have an Intellinav unit which works for the things I need. I didn't think the extra for leather was worth spending, but I did want HID headlights, all the safety features and the 6-CD changer, but could have done without the homelink on the mirror because I don't have anything to control with it. I do have a BT phone, so the handsfree option was desirable. All in all, at the price it seemed #4 was the best all-round choice.

I'm very happy with it too. It would have been nice to have the nav integrated into the car, but the quality of the system is just not worth the money, and I'm pretty sure I'd have had to use the Intellinav instead anyway. Now I've seen a Prius with grey leather, part of me wishes I'd opted for that since it looks so good, but I can add that later anyway.

12. Washington1788

Washington1788 One of the "Deniers"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We got the package 6, mostly because we wanted the leather pretty bad and the only way to do that was to get #6. However, now that we have the navigation, we're very happy -- its come in handy in unknown cities! :)

13. noelty

noelty Member

I was alls et to buy a package 6 last week...when I arrived at the dealer I was able to get a GREAT deal on a package 6 touring. After the paperwork was done the sales rep stated the car had XM and they forgot to charge me for it...oh well! I really like XM, but would have preferred Sirius...although, beggars can't be choosers.

14. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    My current Prius is an 07 Touring with everything except leather. I don't regret any of the options. The only extra I wish I could have had was an anti-rattle device.

15. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoVaSnow @ Jul 13 2007, 09:04 AM) [snapback]478064[/snapback]</div>
    My halogen lights are so much brighter than what I previously had that I'm worried about blinding other drivers (need to check if they're adjusted properly). My '99 Subaru headlights had clouded up, and had become unsafe. I tried taking them apart and cleaning them, but couldn't really do anything about it, and new ones were expensive (I saw other Subarus like that too). So I was glad that the stock Prius had good lights. I understand the HID lights actually use fewer watts, so that might be good from an efficiency viewpoint.

16. Katrina

Katrina New Member

We originally ordered a package 6, all the bells and whistles.
    We ordered it in november 05 when there was a several month wait, and when they had a seaside pearl in package 5 come in and the people that had ordered it had cancelled, they called the next person on the list that asked for seaside pearl (us) and asked if we wanted a package 5 now, or wait for our 6 (possibly another month).
    We took the package 5.
    Sometimes I miss not having the navigation when taking long trips and don't know the area, but otherwise, I don't mind it. As long as its got the bluetooth hands free and the reverse camera, I'm a happy camper.

17. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hardly a day goes by that I don't wish I'd opted for a younger, sportier model. The NAV is sporadic and tempermental, there are too many miles on the clock, and too much junk in the trunk. I think SKS and 'fun to drive' are about the only options I can't live without. ;)

18. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I would have liked the VSC.

I have a package #1 and I'm fine with that. I don't need a lot of the other stuff, but would have liked the VSC for safety reasons.

We usually only get three package options in So. Cal. The bottom the top and something in the middle. I'm not sure what my next Prius will be. I guess it will depend on what's in the packages and how much. My next Prius may be my last as it will be my "retirement car".

19. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    For wannabe owners, get every option you think you might want. Why scrimp on things that might be useful? Though NAV, better stereo, TV camera, etc. is all available aftermarket, OEM is much easier to live with in most cases, and warranty backed. Over the life of the car, say ten years, the extra cost of options is really not that big a deal. Also resale could be better providing all the toys still work. I got option 6, and I'm happy, don't need NAV, or leather. I do wish the Touring option was available when I got mine, but there was no choice involved with that.

20. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I got everything but leather (which I actively did NOT want). I can not live without the NAV, the stereo sounds great to me, whoever invented the backup cam should win a Nobel prize, and the side airbags, traction control, anti-lock breaks, etc. make me feel much safer. The only "feature" I'd opt out of if I could would be the automatic windows. This is the first car I've owned with them, and personally I like rolling them down BEFORE I start the car and rolling them up AFTER I turn the engine off.

Also, I've only used the bluetooth because I could. I rarely even take my cell phone with me, so I wouldn't miss the bluetooth if it went away.