1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you speak Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by RobH, Mar 15, 2007.

1. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The Prius voice recognition is frequently, shall we say, less than perfect.

In eight months of trying, I've never been able to make it understand my pronounciation of "seventy degrees". I'm ok with everything else from 65 to 78 degrees, but 70 has never been understood.

So I tried a variety of mispronounciations. One that works is "sev degrees".

Anybody else discover pronunciations that aren't obvious, but work?

2. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My son and I were having a great time trying to tell it an address. We had to say the state about 5 times, The city, the street, everything. And the matches it comes up with are not even close.

Like I say "Oregon" and it comes back with "Wisconson".

I say "Portland" and it says some oddball city I never heard of, but sounds nothing like Portland.

One thing I should try is replacing all "L" with "R" sounds. It doesn't understand my thick native Californian accent.

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    They say "laughter is the best medicine" and I think Prius wants to keep you healthy. I laugh all the time at it's misinterpretation. I say, "Screen off" and she says, "Showing Ski Resort icons". :D

NoMoShocks, come to the HSD Meetup this Saturday at John Barleycorns in Tigard, 11 a.m.

4. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Mar 15 2007, 11:49 PM) [snapback]406650[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks so much for the invite Bill, I didn't know about this event. I was looking for the WA owners group, and they have not posted about meeting for months. I don't know why I didn't think of looking in the Portland area. Probably some kind of mental deficiency I guess, becasue I go there for work 5 times per week (Beaverton that is).

5. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) "Speak Prius..." Seems I don't, at least not very well.

I named both my 2004 and 2007 Prius "Ernestine" {That's Ernestine and Ernestine Two} after Lili Tomlin's Telephone Operator Character on Laugh In some years ago. This was inspired by the Prius strange responses to verbal requests - like "Go Home" might result in "Showing Post Office Icons" or some other completely unrelated response.

Rather than being irritated, I decided to class it as entertainment. Other issues, Say a request, the a passenger makes conversation and confuses Ernestine - Say a request with the windows down = weird responses. I've found the best results are to speak in a normal tone of voice at a moderate speed.

6. jiepsie

jiepsie New Member

Mine often wanted to take me bowling when I wanted to go home.
    I'd say "Home" and the reply would often be "Showing bowling icons". I now say "Go home" instead and we get along much better.

7. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Just for fun I said "I have to p*ss!" The response was "Showing Gas Stations." :lol:

8. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Instead of saying "Home", drop the "H" and just say "ome". Much better recognition!

I think the recognition system looks for small parts of the sounds, and is confused by too many of them. Dropping out parts of the sounds looks like a way to improve recognition.

9. priusisourfamilygashog

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    just drove my wife's car home from airport. Voice recognition was a joke. Go HOme = Thai Restaraunts. 70 degrees was 78 degrees. FM, AM, Radio was all FM. Volume up was show banks. Tried talking slow, fast, loud, soft etc etc. When bring car in for 5K oil change will have them look at it, but it was pretty useless

10. MsDaisy

MsDaisy Goddess of Green-land

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

You need a Nav system to show you how to get home? How much beer you been drinking at the bowling alley?

11. GatorJZ

GatorJZ Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
  12. soulreaver99

soulreaver99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    [​IMG]

13. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Come on people, you have such diverse accents across the USA that you struggle to understand each other from coast to coast and mountains to shore. What happens when you put a 70 year old woodsman from the Ozarks in a conversation with a 21 year old Californian?

Try a posh english accent and see how you go.

14. FrankZ

FrankZ New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    How about "seventy-one" :) is there really that big a difference?

15. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The most frustrating response is when you try to SHUT THE DAMN THING OFF by saying "Suspend Guidance." I get "Showing System Icons" on the screen.

It's basically worthless. Add that to the "premium" sound system to the list of worthless features and add-ons.

16. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Maybe Japanglish would work.

17. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Have you noticed how your Prius greets you with two "hello" beeps when you get into your car? It's just telling you it knows you are there and is looking forward to being exercised a bit.

18. patrickindallas

patrickindallas Shire rat

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My car understands me just fine.

But, then again I've always been told I talk funny. And when a redneck from around here says that you talk funny, you must talk super-funny.

It also helps if you slowly caress the dash while speaking your commands.:kiss:

Go figure.

19. steveholtam

steveholtam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I had some friends in my car and we were playing with the voice system. One said the word for oral copluation that starts with blow and ends with job, and the system responded with showing "Hotel" icons! My Prius is a perv! Or my friends...