1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you speed more or less?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by razzledazzlebee, Mar 22, 2007.

?
  1. Digital Speedometer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. More aware of Gas Mileage

50.0%
  3. More careful with new car

50.0%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    More or less, No.

2. Ethereal

Ethereal New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Having instantaneous and average MPG constantly visible has definitely slowed me down. I almost wonder if the real genius of the Prius is turning maxing out MPG into a live-action video game. I know I'd have been a more moderate driver in any previous vehicle if I'd had instant feedback on how expensive it was to race from red light to red light.

3. dipper

dipper Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ethereal @ Mar 22 2007, 03:01 PM) [snapback]410456[/snapback]</div>
    I know.

Not only that, I am starting to find more routes to improve MPG further. Roads with less traffic, less lights, more downgrade hills, etc.

4. just_marci

just_marci New Member

*stands up*

I'm Marci and I speed.

*sits back down*

I do find myself driving a bit more responsibly with the Prius under most conditions but I just had my first highway drive yesterday. I'm in PA, so the limit is 55-65 at most. This car rides SO smoothly that when I would finally look down at the speedometer, I was sailing along at 85 or so without even realizing it.

5. MarkMN

MarkMN New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I haven't changed my driving habits. On my trip to chicago a couple of weeks ago I went about 85 mph most of the way (speed limit 65 Wisconsin) in the Prius (by the way, it was nice to see so many fellow black Prii in chicago!). But on the way home I went 65 - there was a cop hiding out every 5 miles :angry: . I never speed on short trips around town (unless it's near rush hour and I have to so not to get crushed), but on trips about 4 hours or more, I can't help but think "if I go 5 mph more, I will get there 20 (or more) minutes earlier". This gets really bad when I drive down to my parents in oklahoma (11 hours in one day, no way in hell am I driving the speed limit and add an extra 1-2 hours to that trip). Bottom line, I still feel good in my prius as long as I am getting over 45 mpg, and at 80 mph average, I still got 45 mpg down to chicagoland. Perhaps, someday the urge to save gas will surpass the urge to get there quicker...

6. Jerry W

Jerry W Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarkMN @ Mar 22 2007, 10:21 PM) [snapback]410467[/snapback]</div>
    I have. My previous car was a Subaru turbo. It was designed to be driven fast, and I drove it so. The Prius that replaced it is designed to be driven economically, so I drive it so. No point in having an advanced car, which they both are/were, unless you try to get the best out of them.

As an incidental benefit I have found that obeying the speed limit reduces stress quite materially, especially in this camera-infested country. I have never bought into the "have to break the law to be safe" argument. No-one should

regards

Jerry
    [UK]

7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Much more so than with previous vehicles, I hold the highway speed down with Prius. Primarily because the mpg dispaly makes the added costs so obvious.

But also if there seems to be a need to arrive quickly, I just do it. It only subtracts a little from my 'gas savings' bucket.

When you have passed someone at 80 mph, let up on the pedal, and see 100+ mpg it feels pretty good. I reckon Marci knows this...

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You missed an obvious reason for not speeding in the Prius: I'm older now. I haven't sped much in my last two cars, but I used to when I was younger and drove a Honda CRX. B)

Tom

9. razzledazzlebee

razzledazzlebee New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Mar 22 2007, 12:17 PM) [snapback]410216[/snapback]</div>
    The word is "CONSISTENTLY" not "CONSTANTLY"

10. just_marci

just_marci New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tochatihu @ Mar 22 2007, 10:01 PM) [snapback]410624[/snapback]</div>
    Yep - almost as good as being on the downhill side of a trip to Wheeling. Got my first full bar ever out of that one. I'm still on my first tank but I've come to accept that the terrain around here plus too many short trips will never give me the optimum MPG. I'll take my victories one five-minute chunk at a time!