1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you talk to your car or smartphone???

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Salamander_King, Dec 18, 2017.

1. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sometimes in the car I'll answer an incoming call by Bluetooth but usually I just tell the caller I'm driving and I'll stop somewhere safe to call them back. I never place a call through the Bluetooth. I was fine driving without a phone before cellphones came out and I refuse to be a slave to the one I have now. That call is not so important that it can't be handled at a safer place and time.

With regards to temperature controls I prefer the knobs on my wife's 2007 Yaris to the touchscreen on the Gen II Prius by a wide margin. Easier to use, the knobs are much less of a distraction to use and adjust.

For entertainment I rarely tune in radio stations. I just keep 6 CDs in the changer and let the CD player run. I rotate out all 6 CDs about twice a week at home to keep the music fresh. It also helps to own over 1,100 CDs for plenty of variety. On longer trips there's always someone in the passenger seat to take care of hooking up the tablet to the car system and handle the long trip playlist. The passenger takes care of the Garmin unit too. I don't even bother trying to use the Prius GPS system. It's not very good.

RCO likes this.
  2. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Preconditioning / with Ac in Auto set at 80 degrees might work for you, I also drive in EV Auto which keeps my hands out of trouble. Of course, I’m not in Mass.

RCO likes this.
  3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Flat or Round, there's nothing new under the sun......

A Swiss scientist (Conrad Gessner) once warned us about "how the modern world overwhelmed people with data and that this overabundance was both "confusing and harmful" to the mind."........ in the mid....1500's!!
    When people started driving more and more in the 1920's and 1930's a new company came up with an inexpensive way to put music (Think: Victrola) into a Motor car......resulting in...........Motorola.
    They weren't the first....but they were the first to put a radio into a car inexpensively enough to make it affordable to the masses.

So.....
    As these things usually go, there were 'growing pains' weaving this new technology into the fabric of society.
    Some people thought that radio discouraged reading and conversation and stifled the intellect even BEFORE it was stuffed into a car......and WAY before talk radio!
    There were the usual growing pains....but people soon realized that sometimes having tunes in the car can keep one awake!
    Also...news and weather bulletins were useful....so the Luddites lost that battle.

However (comma!) I do not think that I'm ready quite yet to talk to my car, and I mostly do not talk to my phone either...... ;)
    Someday.....I will probably have to converse with both of these items if I'm blessed with living long enough to have my car drive me around every now and then......perhaps when my infirmities require a special permit requiring that HAL drives me to wherever people would still want to go....in that far off(?) future when Amazon brings you everything you need to your home.

I wonder what old Conrad would think about that.....:rolleyes:

RCO likes this.