1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you think my HV battery is on the way out?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Scottyx, Nov 20, 2019.

1. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ebay is better in terms of refunds and not having to ship it back...

2. Scottyx

Scottyx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----Australia----
    Just tried again to connect and started right at the beginning.

No luck.

Must look for another one.

3. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Bummer... I feel your pain... I have never made a more exasperating purchase effort for something online. Make sure to ask for a full refund. There needs to be consequences for people who sell broken garbage that doesn't work as claimed!

4. Scottyx

Scottyx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----Australia----
    Hello Ed if you see this.

Does that tech stream thing have any battery test?

Does it work with Dr Prius cause I just bought the $20 Wifi version?

Thanks for people’s thoughts
    Scott

5. George W

George W Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Please return it and buy the Bluetooth version. The connection will be much more stable

6. Scottyx

Scottyx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----Australia----
    I bought it through Amazon and now I can’t find it in “purchases” and can’t find email confirmation in any of our 3 email accounts.

7. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  8. George W

George W Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How many Gen 2 Prius' have been hijacked on the freeway?

9. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    None and if there was an attack it would likely be a high level military espionage assassination effort and would be reported in the media as an accident. Like the general in charge of Afghanistan who had his career ruined by journalist Michael Hastings and wanted revenge on him:

"After Hastings died in a bizarre one-car crash along a straight Los Angeles street, former counterterrorism adviser Richard Clarke noted the accident was “consistent with a car cyber attack” and that it was easy to hack cars. It seems he was right, as 60 Minutes demonstrated in a chilling fashion." Car Hacking Report Refuels Concerns About Michael Hastings Crash - WhoWhatWhy

10. George W

George W Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I had read about the BT ability to put a vehicle into diagnostics mode (while driving), but the car under test wouldn't actually change modes until the speed was under 10 kph.

11. Scottyx

Scottyx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----Australia----
    Finally got there with heaps of searching I found the order on Amazon. Although I used our only Amazon account it doesn’t link US Amazon with Aussie Amazon.

Anyway I decided to get them to send a new one out as I won’t be charged postage. I only have to pay to send this one back.

If I got a refund it would be $26 US but the cost to me in Aussie dollars was $68.50 so I will take the risk with one more of these and then search for a different brand.

It was quite hard to find this one to buy so I’d rather not go through that again just yet. Maybe in a couple of weeks I’ll wish I asked for a refund.

Little steps

bisco likes this.
  12. Scottyx

Scottyx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----Australia----
    Ouch $25 to send the non working OBD back

13. Scottyx

Scottyx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----Australia----
    But the engine oil level hasn’t moved on the dip stick so that’s good.

14. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was raised by a father that would talk to a manager and keeping escalating his complaint until they gave in... He taught me that most consumers are suckers who will go along with getting ripped off because feeling victimized is easier than confrontation for them. He also taught me that everyone you have a consumer complaint with will act differently and you will get different results so you have to refine your technique to best fit the person you are dealing with.

Point being... Don't take no for an answer! Them telling you to pay $25 for something that is their fault not your is not just wrong, it's a ripoff! There are consequences for selling broken products, and not just for the person buying them!

I went thru this routine several times buying an OBD2 on Ebay and in all instances I got a full refund, including shipping costs and I threw the broken OBD2 where it belonged in the garbage can!

If they refuse, tell them you want to escalate to a supervisor. If they also refuse, escalate to an executive or owner. Be careful what you say and don't stop saying it and you'll make it their loss, not yours. Also in the US we have the Better Business Bureau (BBB) that will formalize your complaint in a formal letter for free and most businesses take that seriously because it so rarely happens. Perhaps in your country you have a similar consumer advocate?

As in you're responsible for not being ripped off, not them. And if you put enough effort into it they'd rather absorb the loss so you go away rather than have to deal with you any longer. Also this is why I prefer Ebay over Amazon, because their rating system for sellers holds sellers accountable. Sellers will do almost anything to avoid a negative rating.

15. Scottyx

Scottyx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----Australia----
    Amazon use tricks and tactics to make it hard on purpose 100% for sure.

I did have an option of taking the parcel to a DHL center and pay no shipping, but the closest is 25 minutes away and no free parking so it would have been a pain and I'm living not far from the center of Sydney.

Amazon web site say they will refund me up to $15 US for shipping. In saying that I haven't been able to find out how to make that claim so I think I will just ring Amazon in the next few days and ask them.

I know what you mean by escalating until I get what I want and I have spent most of my life doing that and having it work my way. As I get older I have on some things mellowed and prefer to cop a loss than have stress of trying to work it out and still not be able to.

Ebay on the other hand I am quite good at so maybe I will be done with Amazon as we have had trouble with them in the past.

I'm still loving the car but as of today my eldest daughter will be driving it because her Nissan Pulsar has finally given up the ghost with a slowly getting worse head gasket problem and she needs a car for uni and work.

I'm back in the stupid Prado until I can find eldest a "new car"

Funny you mention BBB. Our one here is department of fair tradding and I used them earlier this year for the first time ever. It was super easy to fill out a form on the computer and someone rang me the next day with a case # followed up by an email with all their details so they could follow my problem through to the end.

Have a good one mate
    Scott

PriusCamper likes this.
  16. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Another good thing about ebay, is it's currently infested with illegal drop shippers who have Amazon Prime accounts and only buy what they're selling after you purchase. This violates the terms of service of both Ebay and Amazon... So if your ebay purchase has no shipping info and then inexplicably shows up in only two days in an Amazon Prime box...

This scam usually nets them way less than a dollar in profit. Also, it means the person who sold it to you has to decide between refunding the amount you paid in full without having to return the item or having you report them and risk losing both their ebay and Amazon Prime accounts.

17. Scottyx

Scottyx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----Australia----
    The new OBD2 reader arrived in only 2 days which is super fast. I put the claim in Tuesday morning and by Thursday arvo it was at my local post office.

I’ve only 10 minutes ago had a chance to go pick it up. Plugged it in and my phone found it on Wifi settings with in seconds. Clicked on the Dr Prius app and once again while trying to connect to the OBD reader it “timed out”. I tried 7 or 8 times and gave up.

I also have a different brand of OBD reader on the way which is Bluetooth.

I need to get the cylinder head off my daughters Nissan Pulsar so I think Prius fun will take a back seat for now.

18. George W

George W Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I also tried a Wi-Fi version, but it was never a consistent connection. The 2nd version I bought was BluTooth, and it connects every time, even between different cars

19. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, my Veepeak wifi one was a fail, my suspicion is a lack of compatibility with phone security. For example if Dr. Prius is the app that turns bluetooth on, my Pixel2 phone WILL allow it to do that, but it because it turned bluetooth on it won't allow it to connect to a signal. But if turn the bluetooth on manually, then it works great.

I've also rebooted my phones several times to get a connection to work during problematic moments.

George W likes this.
  20. Scottyx

Scottyx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----Australia----
    Bummer

My daughter just rang me (the one who is borrowing the Prius) and said there is a red triangle lite up on the dash and some other warning thing on the display screen.

I told her to park it and leave it there.

She drove it up to the shops about 4km from home and it's about 37 degrees outside. When she got back to the car with the shopping about 5 or 10 minutes later that's when the warning lights came on.

Bugger 2 broken cars and she has to go to work tomorrow.

I'm not sure if I should drive it home or if I can do any more damage. I'll start another post to ask for opinions.