1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you think my HV battery is on the way out?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Scottyx, Nov 20, 2019.

1. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For perspective, I'll be driving when a red triangle comes up and I plug in code reader and open Dr. Prius App and get it to read the error codes, take screenshots, clear error codes, keep driving no more than 5-10 seconds of distraction... But that's because I'm weird and I like to troubleshoot other people's messed up batteries.

Point being get an OBD2 reader so you can use an app and don't buy a junk one. Learn the difference here: Hybrid battery diagnostic and repair tool for Toyota and Lexus

Soon as you know the error codes we can help you.

2. Scottyx

Scottyx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----Australia----
    Thanks for the offer of help mate.

I'm hoping the OBD2 reader I ordered turns up tomorrow so I can play on the weekend.

It's from that page you linked thankyou. I'm wondering if it is worth trying some other type of app instead of Dr Prius to see if it will work with my current OBD2 reader. It's also on the page you linked, but it is the Wifi version for an apple phone.

Do you use an apple phone or a samsung android or even a lap top? I'm wondering if I should order an OBD2 reader that work with a windows laptop or just be patient until the new OBD2 reader shows up.

3. Scottyx

Scottyx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----Australia----
    I finally got the head of my daughters Nissan and the Prius is up for attention now.

The new OBD2 reader hasn't shown up yet so I can get on with checking the cooling fan for the battery and just have a general poke around.

I guess I need to drive the car and get the red triangle back up so it has some fault codes to read.?

4. Scottyx

Scottyx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----Australia----
    4A1190DE-0409-42CD-A4D0-B97231FD9572.jpeg I’m not a detective, but I think someone has already had a go at this battery.

I think it might be easiest to buy a new one and chuck it in rather than thinking I’ll get heaps more use out of this battery.

It’s going to be my youngest daughters car when she gets her license next year so I want it reliable and I reckon she’ll keep it for years (her next car she has to pay for herself) and also I love driving it until she takes it from me.

I priced the battery stuff from Prolong and it’s about $1200 Aussie while a new battery from Toyota is only $2400 or so.

5. Scottyx

Scottyx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----Australia----
    A2094A9E-0EE8-49E5-8BAE-12D3DBAAFF40.jpeg Bit crusty

donbright likes this.
  6. George W

George W Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's a tough call. If you can get batteries from new Prius batteries. Com, those are new cells that would give your daughter years of dependable service at the price that's in between reconditioned and OEM. There are some benefits to these cylinders batteries.
    1. Due to their shape they get better cooling. My OEM batteries might take three or four minutes to drop temperature when the fan comes on. The cylinder batteries will drop temperature in 10 seconds.
    2. You're installing half of the batteries makes for a quicker rebuild.
    3. On the rebuild, you don't have to compress the cylinder batts together, as you would have to with OEM (Another time saver).
    4. With the conversion, you discard the air tubes that connect the prizmatic cells( another time saver).

2K 1 toaster sends you everything you need for the conversion. If time is on your side I would seriously consider budgeting for that option.

7. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't throw the baby out with the bath water just yet... That cooling fan could be the only problem this pack has... Rarely have I seen one that bad. And yes, it looks like an amateur worked on this pack before... Inspecting the serial numbers on the battery modules will help you know if it's every been rebuilt / bad modules replaced before. Also corrosion in the voltage sensing harness could be the problem. But again, you're flying blind without specific hybrid battery error codes to work with.

8. Scottyx

Scottyx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----Australia----
    Definatly reading the codes would make sense. I tried my second OBD2 reader again just to make sure it's not working for me and I can see the lights on the OBD flash when trying to hook up to my iphone and Dr Prius app, but it just can't do it.

I guess I'm not in a super rush.

If I do buy a new battery I hope it comes with an arrow on it so I know which way to put it in.

9. Scottyx

Scottyx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----Australia----
    I clean the fan and put it back, then thought I’d test it.

I did pull the orange safety switch on the battery to show my mate.

Anyway pressed the start button and the petrol engine fired up with 1 bar for HV battery displayed. I did the thing where you hold on brakes and accelerator and got the HV all the way to full. The petrol engine shut down and I could see the cooling fan running.

Can’t wait to get code reader up and running. The red triangle is back on the dash.

10. Scottyx

Scottyx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----Australia----
    Third OBD2 reader just turned up and this is a blue tooth type.

So far after 5 or 6 minutes of trying to get my phone to pick it up scanning for blue tooth devices I have had no luck.

I have the cable type connector and CD on the way from China so maybe a bit better luck with that.

Otherwise I guess I need to find a workshop that will read my codes or maybe a Toyota dealer as my last choice

11. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Rebooting your phone can help... Also manually turning on bluetooth on your phone rather than letting app do it makes things work better...

Also if you're using an old phone that could be the problem as well?

12. Scottyx

Scottyx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----Australia----
    I'll try rebooting my phone this arvo and try connect again once I get home from work.

I have been using the manual method to connect in the settings menu (I thought you had to do it that way before turning on the app)

My phone is an apple #6 so this may be a problem.

I'm not sure if it is possible to put apps onto a computer, but my daughter has an apple laptop that is only 2 years old so if her lap top has blue tooth maybe that's worth a try. Plus I was thinking once the tech stream software and cable turn up I may need the computer technician dude to come out and set it up for me so he may also be able to have a go at the OBD2 or maybe he has a later model phone.

13. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yea... iphone 6 is almost 6 years old... The laptop would only work if you could find software that would emulate iphone OS and allow you to install apps. But because Apple doesn't play very friendly with anyone but itself, I'd suggest finding a friend with a new/newest possible Android phone and install Dr. Prius app on their phone and see if that works.

14. Scottyx

Scottyx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----Australia----
    97825052-DD6C-419E-BCCF-AAA57BFDA7F6.jpeg G’day mate

CD & cable turned up today. 4th time lucky maybe.

I thought of a couple of mates who might have modern phones. They both got grown up jobs and work phones and can also do computer stuff quite well.

I will see them in about a week.

PriusCamper likes this.
  15. Scottyx

Scottyx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----Australia----
    I also went down and picked up some brake pads today that the spare parts bloke got in for me about 4 weeks ago and meet him in person for the first time.

He said he would try again to get a better price if I want to buy a battery from him. I said I need to diagnose or have diagnosed the exact problem code first. I then said if I can’t do it myself do you reckon I could hit their service dept up to diagnose and then discount that from purchase price.

I like the idea of keeping the old battery to muck around with when I feel like it and learn some cool stuff when I have time.

Oh yeah my new mate in spares didn’t indicate that the 2 departments next door to each other chat to each other, so I’ll duck down in the new year and ask the service manager myself.

16. Scottyx

Scottyx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----Australia----
    708E83D9-8AF2-41BB-9644-6BAAEDA98F04.jpeg Finally got the Carista OBD2 thing to work with Carista app and not Dr Prius

17. Scottyx

Scottyx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----Australia----
    657A87B1-264F-406A-B3A4-64E3A3563C1B.jpeg Tech Stream says same thing

18. Scottyx

Scottyx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----Australia----
  19. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Block 11 looks to be the culprit ;).

Good luck with the next steps(y).

20. Grmichael

Grmichael New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey Scotty, could you please update us on the repair status?