1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you think talking with someone by bluetooth is more distracting than talking with a passenger?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Eoin, May 23, 2010.

?
  1. Yes, it is more distracting.

52.2%
  2. No, it is the same.

45.7%
  3. Not sure.

4.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Philosophe

Philosophe 2010 Prius owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Do you think talking with someone by bluetooth is more distracting than talking with a passenger

From the same report:

2. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Re: Do you think talking with someone by bluetooth is more distracting than talking with a passenger

This is interesting. I am a very auditory person (I love music) and driving is almost entirely visual. Since the two are so separate, I find I can drive and talk at the same time, provided the driving and talking are routine. I could not have a complicated conversation while negotiating the New York Parkways at rush hour, at least I wouldn't want to. If I get a call, I will instinctively stay in the slow lane and drive very conservatively. It helps to have 35 years of driving experience. I think new drivers should definitely avoid distractions such as the phone while driving. Of course, in reality, the 20 year olds are probably driving fast in and out of lanes while listening to music on ipods, texting their friends and adjusting the A/C.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

Obviously this depends on the type of conversation. If you are mindlessly discussing the weather there probably isn't much difference, but I don't mindlessly talk on the phone. For me, phone calls tend to be more focused, and often involve answering questions and solving problems, which by their very nature are distracting.

When talking to a live passenger you also have another pair of eyes on the road. Typically people shut up when the driving gets hairy, but there is no way for the person on the other end of the phone to know this. Talking on the phone is like dealing with a screaming child in the back seat.

Tom

4. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    more distracting

I disagree...

The talking on the phone ends with the disconnect... the kid is there for the duration of the drive.

1 person likes this.
  5. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

The only distracting part of bluetooth to me is the initial calling or answering. After the connection is made, just the talking part is no more distracting to me than talking with a passenger.

I really like the hands-free system as I was guilty of talking on the cell phone while driving before getting the hands-free system. It is much better now.

The voice commands are also nice in that I can watch the road and drive while giving commands.

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

Part of the problem is that an accident situation changes the driving from routine to critical in an eye-blink. When you have less than 100% of your attention and concentration on the road, you will react to a critical situation less rapidly than you otherwise would. Sometimes nothing you could do will avoid an accident. Other times you can avoid an accident if you react rapidly enough.

If you are doing ANYTHING other than driving with 100% of your attention, you increase the chances of an accident by the difference between your actual attention and 100%.

Maybe you are a good enough driver that you will not cause an accident due to talking on the phone. But if you are talking on the phone you will be less able to avoid an accident that results from another driver's carelessness.

7. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I'd certainly agree with that, but have logged a little bit of
    headset time here and there where absolutely needed.
    Driving is a visual *and* auditory experience for me. I usually
    have both front windows at least cracked open a little -- that's
    my ears, and the road noises coming in give me a *lot* of
    information. Such as when someone else is accelerating or not,
    how badly they're doing it, whether they might have a damaged
    tire or not [esp. trucks], whether the truck is getting back
    into his turbo to pass or may be running up against his speed
    limiter in which case I should back down a little to help his
    pass, etc. The condition of someone else's exhaust system and
    what that may imply about their income level and general attitude
    behind the wheel. Don't laugh -- sound brings in a thousand
    more subtleties that could someday be lifesavers.
    _H*

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

this is a very interesting poll. almost 50/50 and zero not sure's. i wonder how many people feel the way they do because they do/do not [talk/text while driving? am i gonna have to give up my morning coffee?

9. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I agree that in an ideal world drivers would never do anything but concentrate 100% on driving - they would never talk to a passenger, deal with cranky kids, tune the radio, look at the nav or talk via bluetooth. It is not realistic to expect driving like this. It is better to minimize, but not eliminate driver distractions, and drivers need to be able to deal with distractions while still driving safely. As I said, I feel that, in the week I have had hands free phone, the hands free is less distracting than pulling out a cell phone, and only marginally more distracting than talking to a passenger, if at all. In the past week I have been more distracted than usual due to learning all the features of the new car, but I am now pretty much back to normal. Another point is that boredom can be a problem in driving as well, and some level of "distraction" may be necessary to keep the driver from becoming too bored or even falling asleep. In short, some distraction is normal, unavoidable and even desirable, but not too much.

10. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

I agree with much of what you say, especially about the issue of boredom. But I can't help imagining the following conversation:

<After an accident caused by a distracted driver in which a child was killed:>

Distracted Driver speaking to mother of dead child:

"It's just not realistic to expect that I would have had 100% of my attention on the road. I had to find an interesting station on the radio, enter my destination into the NAV, and my sister was telling me about her vacation plans on the phone. And then the light changed and you stopped on the yellow and I couldn't react fast enough to stop the car before hitting you."

As I said above, the problem with talking on the phone and other distractions is that they can slow your reaction time in a crisis that occurs suddenly and unexpectedly.

11. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I don't disagree. The driver's reaction time is definitely slower. But I don't think distraction can be completely eliminated. The only way would be to eliminate the driver and automate driving so cars are as safe as elevators. That may happen. Probably will happen to airplanes first.

12. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

+1

... and even more so with the phone.

-Brad

13. Philosophe

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Aside from the mutual sharing of opinions, science seems more interesting to me (IMHO! :rolleyes:).
    While taking more time to peruse through the same meta-analysis report, I found out that they do address the original question of this thread.
    Their final recommendations are:
    I spent some time doing searches on Google Scholar but couldn't find something more interesting/conclusive.

14. Philosophe

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Already happened to airplanes. Though pilots still want to pilot and not simply act as the fail-safe system they have become.

15. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three

I say that talking to a passenger is more distracting

Attached Files:

16. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

its not the same. i have experienced this in real life many times. while talking with a passenger, BOTH are paying attention to traffic, driving skills, etc. i notice that my passenger will shut up if there is driving maneuver coming up. i also have driven with people who turn off the radio because it helps them look for addresses.

so yes, most definitely. a BT is way more distracting than talking to a passenger simply because the person on the other end does not know the situation you are in.

1 person likes this.
  17. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

Clearly, some passengers are more distracting than others.

18. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Imagine Gilbert Gottfried as your passenger.

19. lunabelgium

lunabelgium Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I do it only when it is necessary. I prefer talking with a passenger.
    Question : do you think making love by bluetooth is more enjoyable than with a human ?

20. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Are those real?