1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you think the Prius rear suspension is too low?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by silentak1, Oct 24, 2006.

1. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Am I the only one who feels that the Prius has a low rear suspension? I have the mudguards and coastaltech hitch and I feel that sometimes they are danger close to the ground. I really try to stay away from carrying more than 4 people (including myself) in the car or else I feel like the rear is heavily sagging.

I could take out the mudguards and hitch, but that's not really the issue. The car looks ackward when fully loaded with passengers and gear.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I've bottomed out with 3 people in the back. I would say it's to do with the ground clearance. I'm sure my Camry would lower just as much but will have a smaller chance of bottoming out because of the slightly higher ground clearance (except for that oddly protruding exhaust pipe....)

3. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(silentak1 @ Oct 24 2006, 10:51 PM) [snapback]337803[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I've found it much too low. There's a speed hump in a road near here and if I have only one passenger in the back I always hear a nasty bang on the floor when I go over it, even at 3MPH. I would hesitate to drive this car on a very rough road with deep depressions in it, but I've never had the same problem with any other car. It's my biggest criticism of the Prius.

4. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

I want an adjustable Citroen style suspension on the next model.
    Bottoming and snow clearance are real problems.

5. afternoonnap

afternoonnap New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tomdeimos @ Oct 25 2006, 07:06 AM) [snapback]337878[/snapback]</div>
    Me too! Hope Toyota is listening, or someone finds an aftermarket solution.

6. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The TRD kit, although it makes the car lower, bottoms out less due to a stiffer ride. The stock suspension has a lot of give for ride comfort.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Dec 3 2006, 02:27 PM) [snapback]357111[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah but it's not exactly comfortable to begin.

8. medusawoman

medusawoman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Oct 25 2006, 04:37 AM) [snapback]337861[/snapback]</div>

I've also found it way too low, especially on the rarely repaired Western MA roads I travel. One bump I avoided almost all the time nearly took out my exhaust system one very snowy day. Luckily, the skilled repair shop near here welded it, saving me many $$$ in replacement costs...

Still having fun with my 2001 - 109,900 miles and counting....

9. Technogeek

Technogeek New Member

I wonder if there are any air shock kits or adjustable height coil-over kits that could be adapted to the rear suspension.