1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you think your GEN II has a brake problem.. Please vote..

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by grinthock, Feb 4, 2010.

?
  1. Yes - I want it fixed

57 vote(s)
    22.4%
  2. Yes - However it doesn't bother me

42 vote(s)
    16.5%
  3. No - I don't feel my GEN II Prius has a problem

155 vote(s)
    61.0%
  1. fastring

fastring Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    No, you shouldnt be sorry for being pedantic, just for being an a$$. if you dont want to come across as being an a$$, dont correct folks spelling like some NY snob.

2. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ^ dude, chill. Internets is serious business, but seriously.

As to Prius 2.0 Brakes:

While I don't think that the "loose transition" between regen and friction braking is that much of an issue personally, I can see how it may be a serious issue with inexperienced drivers.

This poster is an example of what I mean:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-main-forum/4901-anyone-having-problem-brake.html#post55323

I understand that the Prius is relatively new technology, but the average driver has accumulated a lifetime of experience of what the brakes of a car "feel" like, and divergence from that (especially with the loose transition) can lead to serious consequences. Some here would contend that the issue is covered in the owners manual, but I would argue that it shouldn't be an issue that is buried in a 100+ page book. It's really disingenuous to say that anyone/most people should drive a hybrid and at the same time charge so many for being poor or incompetent drivers when something they expect to work a certain way doesn't.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is too good of a juxtaposition to pass up. If you "loose transition" you set your transition loose. If you "lose transition" you no longer have a transition. It's almost as common a misspelling as brake and break.

Likewise, "folks" in the first post is possessive: it should be "folk's".

Tom

4. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Loose transition is exactly what I meant. The transition does not feel smooth and controlled - it feels as if the speed control has gone "loose" momentarily and the point of this transition is not always exact. Compare to what I would call a "tight" transition where the brakes might clamp down with incredible force suddenly at an exact point.

This is likely a case of interpretation due to the impreciseness of describing the situation.

5. kasperhauser

kasperhauser New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This isn't an election; it's a poll. Therefore, one can't "vote" - one can merely voice an opinion. The value of the outcome of the polling process reflects this fact (i.e., all you get is a collection of opinions - nothing gets decided).

Just FYI. As you were.

6. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Lost in translation, so to speak? Sorry, that struck me as funny.

I see exactly what you mean by loose translation.

Tom

7. ibis315

ibis315 New Member

The engine revs up and feels like the car surges ahead when braking and hitting a bump that cause the ABS/traction control to engage. Does anyone else feel the engine surge? Why would ABS/traction control software do cause the engine to rev up?

8. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It wouldn't. I've never had the engine on my Prius rev up in the hundred or so times my Prius has "surged ahead", nor can I think of anything that would cause it to do so.

Tom

9. PearlDriver

PearlDriver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  10. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Relax. Last time I checked, a simple grammatical error was not a hanging offense. I'm a really lousy speller, although I'm pretty good with spell check. Unfortunately spell check doesn't save you when you use the wrong word.

I know that on at least one occasion I used "break" when I meant "brake". Someone politely called me on it, and I appreciated the correction. I wouldn't want to walk around with my pants unzipped. Likewise I don't like to make spelling and grammatical errors. Unless they get pointed out, how will I ever know.

If a correction is made politely and in a friendly way, take it as just that: a friendly correction meant to help. If someone gets all snotty and beats you up for being stupid, *then* you can get defensive. It doesn't make any sense to start out defensive.

Tom

2 people like this.
  11. PearlDriver

PearlDriver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You're right about the corrections when given politely and in a friendly way. I guess I feel that's what PMs are for. It's the difference between whispering that "Your fly is down" versus announcing it over the PA system.

You're right though, it was an over reaction on my part.

12. MJ2005

MJ2005 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Just adding my experience... about two years ago I had an accident with my 2005 Prius, going downhill at very slow speed (almost stopped) I went over a pothole, brakes didn't respond, and I went into the car that was stopped in front of me. After this happened I read up on others' similar experiences on this board, and switched to Nokian tires. The car has been much better since, but lately I'm getting the loss of stability light on my dashboard more often again. When it happens it feels like the car "cuts out". I wanted to sell the car after this happened, but have stuck with it. If this is being resolved for 2010 cars, I really wish Toyota would address it for older Priuses - this is NOT a new problem, as reading through all these pages proves!

13. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this has to be a defect in a small amount of cars. there are too many of us who have not noticed anything or ever had a problem. we have an 04 an 08 prius and an 08 hycam. total of 120,000 miles over 5 1/2 years and 3 different drivers. zero braking issues.

1 person likes this.
  15. maceo

maceo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the problem in my 2005 - actually, the sensation I have had is that the car almost surges when the brakes momentarily lapse - but I have sort of accepted it as a quirk of the car.

Meanwhile, so far in this poll things are running at about 20% of people with the problem and who want it fixed. Regardless of what your vote is, and what you want in your particular case, the extension of this polling question, maybe obviously, is:

Is there a problem in the Gen II Prius?

Should it be addressed by Toyota?

On those questions, I'd vote that there is indeed a problem and it should be addressed.

16. ljbad4life

ljbad4life New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thank you, i have a prius with 130k miles on it. Have driven from NY to FL and put over 75k on it in ONE year. Driving in all sorts of conditions and have never experienced it. According to many posters you and I have the only normally functioning car.

I also looked at a couple of different prius forums and this forum seems to be the only one even mentioning anything to do with gen II. I also did a bit of digging and numerous posters that supposedly have brakes that are so "scary" owned the car (gen II) for multiple years and never even mentioned any suspect events before january.

If a car "scared" me like so many have claimed, the car would be gone. no "ifs, ands, or buts". I don't care how much money I would lose, The life of my loved ones and my own is worth more than any amount of money. So either we have a bunch of materialistic people or fabricators/exaggerators. I am sure that some people are having genuine issues, but there are too many "6 post count having posters that are never heard from again".

17. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Close to SDSU in the Far Southwest Corner of Cali
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I've never encountered the described phenomena - in a year's worth of driving - about 12K mi.. Maybe it's because I have so few posts.

18. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe you should purchase another set of new tires - if this is the only issue you have with the car.

19. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You must have really bad roads in Massachusetts!

20. elcholoperuano

elcholoperuano New Member

Well I guess I'll add my two cents to the matter. The only issue I've ever encountered with my Prius, I'm able to recreate. There is a back way into where I live and sometimes I take it. There is a minor railroad crossing that I have to go over like 30-40 feet before a stop sign. Before hearing about the braking issues I just thought that the car was slipping when I went over them. It really feels like you're not going to brake in time before heading into traffic. Obviously I've modified my driving to be slower but just the same, it is disconcerting only because what happens if I'm having to break to have to stop for whatever reason and this happens....not a cool thought.