1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you use lane departure warning/assist feature?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Roy2001, Apr 20, 2018.

1. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    So, by your logic it's OK to drive when you aren't capable of operating the car (i.e. tired), and it's unavoidable because of your unique physiology.

This would be the case if you are a first responder, but they are smart enough to sleep prior to their shift, so they can be awake and alert the entire time they are on duty, including rescuing you when you fall asleep and crash into a ditch.

2. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If I didn't ever drive when I was tired, I wouldn't be able to drive probably 95% of the time. It's very rare that I'm fully rested.

If neither myself nor my wife are completely rested, the alternative is sitting by the side of the road where three people I know have been killed. Given that I've never actually fallen asleep, I think I'm safer driving tired than sitting by the side of the road.

3. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I think the trick is not to park at the side of the road, but pull of into a lot or rest area. But, you will drive the way you drive and your Prius will save you in any event...

4. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That works if you're not out on the open road, potentially tens of minutes from the next pull-off. Which is exactly where I was most of the time on my last trip in June.

5. Tha_Ape

Tha_Ape Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I always use it. Why wouldn't you? Do you turn off your ABS, traction control, and anti skid systems when you drive?

I know how to threshold brake, modulate the throttle and counter steer in skids, but why take any risks on a public road. I see no point in disabling any safety system when I'm on the street.

On a race track It's a different story because they actually do get in the way of fun, but I don't take my Prius to the track. Not that I'm against doing it, but Miatas are a better choice for low cost, fun, track cars.

#45 Tha_Ape, Jul 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    Blauer Glimmer likes this.
  6. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Because it is very poorly implemented and responds unpredictably. The distractions from the beeping and dashboard flashing and wheel twitching aren't keeping me safe, they are distracting me.

To the best of my knowledge, ABS does not have an off switch on any of my vehicles. All three of these technologies are more fully developed and reliable than lane keeping assist - they are based on wheel speed sensors primarily, and those work well. No cameras involved, no reliance on viewing external things. Wheel rotation speed measurement is unaffected by weather, the condition of the lines on the road, day/night, rain, etc.

In normal driving, none of these systems intervene, so they stay in the background. On the rare occasion where I brake on a slippery surface, one wheel might pulse with ABS. I do switch off traction control and anti-skid when weather and road conditions result in those systems interfering with operating the car (snow, gravel, etc.).

When these driver aid systems are adequately developed that they are an aid more than a distraction, then I'll use them. Until then, they stay off.

7. triggerhappy007

triggerhappy007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Base
    That's why people buy Porsche.

LOL, better put on your flamesuit.

8. ice9

ice9 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I leave LDA on as well as all other collision avoidance features (other than parking assist). At first I found these somewhat annoying, but decided to give the features a chance to show their worth. Now I have become accustomed to being warned on occasion when (rightfully or not) I do something that the coding thinks I shouldn't have done. If anything, it helps to keep stay alert.

9. Washingtonian

Washingtonian Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Of course I could happy without the LDA and if there were an extra cost for it as an add on, I wouldn't buy it. But after using it for a couple of years I can see that it makes me a safer driver because I know that it will sound if I change lanes on a freeway without using the turn signal. So I am now more likely to signal a lane change since I have the Prime.