1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you use parking brake?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Michael Nielsen, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Could depend a lot on climate. On the west coast of BC, never had that happen, or heard of it, on cars with drum brakes, starting in the early eighties.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Rear discs have small drums in most cases for parking duties. The one thing discs suck at is parking use.

The couple times I've had the parking brakes freeze in 10 years, I was able to break in by just moving.

3. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I once saw a guy driving around the parking lot at my University with he rears locked and his fronts dragging them along across the snow and ice. Looked like he had about as much control as a first-time ice-skater.

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    He should have tried rocking them. That worked for me the one time the rear wheels started dragging.

5. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    His way was funnier (since he didn't hit anything).

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm...
    So it seems some people don't use their parking brake for fear of it freezing.
    Sometimes with an unpredictable, "End Of The World" rapid temperature drop.

And some are just afraid of wearing out the cable.

You know....I'm still just going to use mine.
    Sue me, if I like my car NOT moving when parked...even a little.

I'll let you know if I end up prematurely replacing the cable, and/or unable to use the vehicle to escape the encroaching Ice Flow due to rapid environmental change.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As a teenager, I snapped a parking brake cable on one of dad's vehicles when stepping very hard on the pedal to get the poorly working brake to hold. Had to re-park the car somewhere else flat.

The repairs for that were vastly cheaper than the times (<-- note, more than once) dad didn't use his parking brake at all, damaging someone else's property (house, truck, etc.)

Also cheaper than the time sis got confused and interrupted by unexpected arrivals, botching the 2-4WD transfer case on a pickup and leaving it in neutral, such that rolled away, through a fence, across a field, and into the brush at the creek. But dad isn't blameless there either, as he knew the parking brake was working very poorly but didn't get it fixed. While sis used it, she didn't know it was bad.

8. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I was just going to ask this same question, but did a search to see if it had been asked before.
    I used to apply the parking brake all the time (and always do if I'm anywhere BUT parked in my garage).

But about a year ago I started not bothering to apply the parking brake in my old Civic, and have kind of kept up the practice with my new Prime. If it was on any kind of incline, I wouldn't, of course, but the garage is completely flat, and since Toyota puts the brake where your foot is (instead of where your hand is), it's a little more effort to apply the parking brake, so I've not been applying it, only when not at home in the garage. Whenever I'm away from home -- even if it's flat -- I will. I don't imagine/hope it won't cause any harm, doesn't seem like there's any weight resting on the "gears" in Park when it's completely flat and level..

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sounds like you must have grown up in a very hilly environment? So, I guess putting it in park (or in gear for a manual transmission) and/or curbing the tires (assuming you you had curbs in your area) didn't help?

Thankfully, I could as a kid, and can now, park in a garage... :)

iPhone ? Pro

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, the Rocky Mountain region is hilly. Curbs were just in the fully developed town cores and better developed portions of residential areas, most certainly not in any rural, agricultural, or National Forest areas. All of these rigs had manual transmissions, so had no Park position.

Most of them were old too, so declining engine compression limited the effectiveness of leaving it in gear. But on my last Ford, in Seattle, a carpool meeting location was steep enough that even at less than three years old, leaving it in gear (tried both 1st and R) and with the parking brake fully set, wasn't enough to hold hit. I could feel each cylinder hold a few seconds, then release. That area was curbed, but I was fearful enough of jumping the curb to go look for a less steep parking space.

Data Daedalus and mr88cet like this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Makes you want to take along wheel chocks. Oddly, they are shown in the Owner's Manual, to be used on the the wheel diagonally opposite when jacking up a flat. Toyota could earn some brownie points, by supplying them; think they could fit inside the rim of the spare.

upload_2017-5-8_10-2-55.png

Prius from Dad and fuzzy1 like this.
  12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Fortunately, in the rural area where I grew up, 'natural' wheel chocks (a.k.a. rocks) where usually readily available. But since the selection is frequently poor compared to the purpose-built version, perhaps I should throw at least one into each car.

Data Daedalus and Mendel Leisk like this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The Toyota instruction above, saying "in front of" and "behind" for wheel chock placement, seems a little remiss. I like both sides, and really slam them in.

14. ePWR

ePWR Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    always use parking brake. flat. hills. home. everywhere. it's automatic.

Data Daedalus and mr88cet like this.
  15. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Still haven't set it on my Prime, but I've only had it three weeks. Don't plan to ever set it, though, except for when I put the car on jacks.

16. alexcue

alexcue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Always use it in all my vehicles. It stops me from having to remember if I put it on or not when I leave. Always assume it was on.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You can modulate the application: flat slab in our garage: I apply parking brake, but not too heavy.

18. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Why would you not use the parking brake? It's a very good habit to develop. Bad idea if you decide you'll remember when you're on a hill or not. There's a reason for parking brakes. You should use it.

19. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Because it's completely unnecessary in all but the most extreme conditions.

The traction from the front wheels got you to where you parked and is going to have to get out of where you parked. It's a very unusual situation that the traction from the front wheels won't keep you where you're parked for the time between getting there and leaving.

And I don't consider it a parking brake, primarily. It's primarily an emergency brake for the extremely rare event that your hydraulic brakes fail. So I want to preserve its lifetime for that unusual event. Fortunately, in the over 30 years I've been driving, I've never had to use it for either purpose. In fact, I've only ever used the mechanical brake for manual-transmission cars parked on a steep hill or when I have one wheel off the ground on a jack.

Moving Right Along likes this.
  20. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, me too. Always have always will.

iPhone ? Pro