1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you wait till your battery drains down or top it off at 1/2 full or more ?

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by GKL, Jun 14, 2020.

1. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Okay, thanks, so are you still getting 25 miles in EV mode when you do have it at full charge ? (or did the pip have a lesser range when new ?)

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pip range is officially 11 :p, but i got around 16 best case when it was new. it dropped to 14 in the second year, and has been there ever since.

occasionally, mrs. b will say, i have to go to xyz, can i take your car? well the car is sitting around 6-8 miles, and the trip is 10 or 12.
    can you wait half an hour for it to charge up? no. :rolleyes:

GKL likes this.
  3. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    :LOL: hey when the wife is ready to travel they don't want to wait, I know from my wife :LOL:

Hey, you're still getting 3 miles range over the norm after all that time, so that is good !

I've read where many people seem to get more than the 25 miles the Prime is supposed to get on a full charge.

bisco likes this.
  4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup. I’m around 34-35 miles per charge (as long as it’s isn’t raining).

GKL and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Same here :).

But it won't rain for months;).

I enjoy summer (y).

GKL and Tideland Prius like this.
  6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have not. My setup is severely under utilized (my outlet is 208V 3-phase outlet that delivers 48A) so I use the full 16A in the Prime.

7. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Without switching back and force between EV and HV, my EV only drive from a full charge can range from 18 miles in the middle of winter to 36 miles in the warmer month. However, I have done 36 miles from a full charge only twice in 2.5 years with 2017 PRIME. I have not even tried doing that with my 2020 PRIME. I don't drive often enough now, and gas is far cheaper than electricity. For a little driving I am doing now, I have been focusing on using as little of electricity as possible to drive as far miles as a kWh can take me.

Currently, 22.2 miles/kWh on 1289miles odometer distance.

upload_2020-6-15_21-32-1.png

GKL likes this.
  8. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    That's encouraging, I wondered if Toyota said 25 miles knowing it could likely be higher, but maybe wanted to give a minimum you should expect like in very cold weather.

That's the first I remember hearing that rain effects EV range.

Is that due to the rain cooling things down, adding drag to the car, energy used for the wipers ?

You do have some cold winters up there, I guess the extreme cold has a much greater effect then just getting chilly out.

#28 GKL, Jun 15, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2020
  9. Rob43

Rob43 Senior Member

VA, BMW Race Car, BMW R1200R, BMW 330Ci, Ford F350
    Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I remember you balking a bit several months back about the idea of using a pre-existing 240 volt outlet in your home or installing a new one for faster charging.

But,...a 240 volt outlet in conjunction with your current Toyota OE 120v EVSE unit would easily solve your problem, a full 0% to 100% charge takes about 2:28 minutes.

If you kept your traction battery at a lower state of charge like 0% to 50% because you are not using it everyday, but then realized you'd like to go out "soon" to run some errands, you could plugin with your Free Toyota OE 120v EVSE at 240 volts for let's say ~1 hour and you'd get an additional ~10 miles of range on top of whatever you already had in your Prime.

Problem solved, no ICE required.

Rob43

mmerchan, jerrymildred and GKL like this.
  10. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks, actually when we had the 120 volt outdoor outlet installed next to where we park the car we didn't rule out the possibility of later on sometime adding a 240 volt outlet, my wife did like having the 120 volt outdoor outlet for other outside uses besides just the car though.

Time to snooze, I'll check the forum tomorrow to get more educated :D

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 25 miles is an average and I assume they have to account for both summer and winter. In the depths of winter, one will probably get 15-20 miles.

Rain affects it in two ways - water on the road increases drag and when it rains it's usually cooler so the heater may come on.

GKL likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i thought it was an epa test?

13. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    L2 charging is absolutely worth it for me. I often make trips right after supper. I come home from work, plug in while I eat and change clothes. By the time I'm ready to go the car is fully charged or nearly charged.

And L2 is a lot more gentle on the battery that just driving the car. It takes two hours to fill the battery and the car can empty it in less than a quarter of that time. On top of that, there's charge mode that can take it from zero to an indicate 80% in about 30 minutes as you drive. L2 is nuthin'!

GKL and Rob43 like this.
  14. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks, we may not get a 240 volt outlet right away, but a good possibility for later as I can see it would be nice to have.

jerrymildred likes this.
  15. Rob43

Rob43 Senior Member

VA, BMW Race Car, BMW R1200R, BMW 330Ci, Ford F350
    Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You once mentioned a 240v dryer outlet that you could use, how many feet away is this outlet from where your Toyota EVSE
    would have to plug in ?

Rob43

16. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Rough estimate about 50-60 feet, but I'm not sure if my wife would like the idea of remembering not to use the dryer when the car is charging, not to mention we'd have to make a hole in the laundry room floor to run the cord out.

The electrician ran 120 volt outdoor outlet straight from the outdoor circuit breaker box which is on a pole right near the house. ran conduit underground to where the outlet is at. He said he could do the same with 240 volts later if we wanted. I know it's a little pricey to have done and after making several expenses recently I think my wife (my financial advisor :D) might want to hold off for now.

17. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I understand the holding off. Being an electrician, running my 240V line was easy; especially since I just had to run the wire over the garage ceiling to the opposite wall from the service entrance. Still, with the price of copper, and needing a sub panel, it wasn't cheap to me. I did it over three years ago and I'm not sure it's paid for itself yet in pure dollars. But then there's the convenience factor of buying gas way less often.

GKL likes this.
  18. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks, when we had the 120volt outdoor outlet put in the electrician cost us somewhere between $300-$400 (can't remember exact amount) but since we wanted an outdoor outlet for other uses besides just charging the car that made us feel a little better about the expense.

It's too soon to tell yet how often being able to do a quick charge with a 240volt outlet might benefit us. As nice as it would be to do a quick charge, it might turn out that really NEEDING a quick charge might only happen 2-3 times a month or less, too soon to tell.

I'm retired so no daily commute, my wife wanted to keep working for now but her commute is only 2 miles away and for that short commute she takes the Kia so it don't sit totally unused. We use the Prime for most all our other running except her 2 mile commute.

We might travel out of town to the nearest big city (about 25 miles away) as seldom as once a month or even less. Likely most (with rare exceptions) of our miles travelling in one day in our small town should stay under the EV range.

So yes, I would like the 240volt quick charge available just for the occasional times we might need a quick charge, but given our typical driving it's something that we don't need to rush into, though personally I'd just as soon have it done, it's not a big deal if we need to wait a while though. :D

jerrymildred likes this.
  19. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think that's wise. (y)

GKL likes this.
  20. NSXT

NSXT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    During covid-19 until today, I have topped it off for the last 3 months and use it once or twice a week. No issues so far and mileage still doing great. I worry more about the 12V battery than the traction battery which has a longer warranty period. Toyota's 83% top charge does a great job indeed.

I am sure by the time, this Prime will be traded for the next Gen Prime within 10 years :D

GKL likes this.