1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does a full set of Green Bars indicate problems?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Skateruk, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Skateruk

Skateruk Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    As I'm driving along, the normal battery strength on the MFD shows 5/6 blue bars but occasionally, it will change to the last but one green bar and sometimes all the bars go green. Everything else is fine, no warning lights etc. Is this a normal? I am sure I read somewhere here that to get all bars green was somehow not the norm..........

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    1) Green bars was easier in winter than summer in my Gen 2 (engine runs more)

2) Green bars are normal when you are getting lots of regen (down hill or from high speed)

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As Jimbo says, in the winter time if you have the heating on, the engine is going to run and charge up the battery. If you have HVAC off and are not doing long downhill regen sessions, it should stay in the blue range.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    All green bars (except the top one) all the time usually means you have not mastered the gas pedal yet. You are consistently going into regen. Driving it like a regular car...gas pedal on....gas pedal off...

Avoiding constant regen is the first step to getting excellent mileage in a Prius.

5. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    "Last but one" is not a full set of green bars. "Last but one" can be as little as 5% more charge than the nominal 6 bars and is certainly nothing abnormal.