1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does AC default on ?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Marine Ray, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Marine Ray

Marine Ray Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    On my 2017 Prime Advanced, the AC seems to default on when I turn the climate control on (even in this cold weather). I manually select AC off on the 11.6 inch screen. Then when return the next day the same thing happens. Is this normal? Why doesn't it remember I've turned the AC off?

tempsnip.png

2. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    At least on my 2017 (may have changed since; don’t know), if I hit “Off” and then hit a fan-speed button to turn it back on, it does not turn on the A/C. However, if I turn it back on by hitting the “Auto” button, it does turn on A/C.

As far as I can recall, hitting “Auto” always turns on the A/C regardless of any previous settings.

Now that’s nominally “on”; I doubt it would actually cool the air if the outdoor temperature is considerably lower than cabin temperature, but it will be ready to do so if the outdoor temperature goes up.

#2 mr88cet, Mar 4, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    FuelMiser likes this.
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like it works the same as the previous generation. If I turn on the fan and then hit the a/c button to turn that off, it remembers next time I start the car. But if the a/c light is on and it's not necessary to cool the cabin, I don't think the compressor runs; it's just ready to run if needed. But I'm not 100% sure of that. It's just how I would design it and how I interpret "auto" as opposed to "on" or "off."

4. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    This is a configurable option (section 9-2 of the owner manual, "Customization"). On my digital copy for a 2018 it's page 743.

Setting can be changed using the NAV system, or by the dealer (or with a Carista). On my Carista, there is a setting for "Auto-turn on A/C when AUTO button pressed (if needed)."

5. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think TOYOTA uses AC to mean heat pump HVAC system used for cooling/heating. You will need AC on in order for the heat pump to function even for heating only during winter.

Marine Ray likes this.
  6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It should remember. But keep in mind that pressing AUTO will turn on the A/C light as well.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My 2010 does not do that. If AC was off, it stays off (light on AC button off, etcetera), and vice versa.

BTW, do you (or anyone) know: is there a way to turn the system off, then back on with everything as it was before, say if there were overrides, specific fan speed or mode.

In other words: is pushing Auto the only way to turn the system back on.

I recall with our previous Civic Hybrid, there was a bit of an Easter Egg: if you had turned the system off, then pushed the fan speed up button, it woke the system up, with all the previous settings.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    didn't post #4 answer the o/p's question?

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah the Gen 3 was an oddball :p Then Gen 2 has the A/C coming on with the AUTO button.

Well if you’re in manual mode, just pressing g the fan speed up should resume manual mode but I can’t remember if it’ll retain the MODE settings. (Manual or Auto) since I’m almost never in manual mode.