1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does accessorie remote start and stop ICE and AC

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by XMAN LIVE, May 31, 2009.

1. XMAN LIVE

XMAN LIVE "Just have Fun!"

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Toyota accessories brochure, page 10 of 14, see below $529 Installed MSRP

link http://www.toyota.com/prius-hybrid/ebrochure.html GST region zip code 77429

If it works, this would be great for P: II, III, IV, V and if I start the engine then no need to think about the 3 min rule. If you start AC then I guess you do. Anybody have information on this.

[​IMG]

2. XMAN LIVE

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Okay my bad I have this thread going in two places let’s just put it under this one. The other was first car in Texas or something like that. Not a great place for feedback. Some people are saying it is only for P:IV but I am not sure. I believe the AC run from battery not solar so why not. And If you start the car, it may stay in EV until battery gets low, and run for five minutes and shut back down. After Ike and cleanup Galveston, I had to sleep in my 06 Prius.. I turned the AC on. I had to get out of the house I could not breathe with all the mold in the house. The car AC was on about 15 minutes before the car started, and then ran about 5minutes...it did that all night long. It may have started at the begin I could be wrong it has been a while but the on of timing is correct. I could try again, not all night, not again. Put blanket on the windows so I could sleep in a bit. Did not even lose one bar, however my average on my computer went down point 1. I would do it again if needed. Turn hud off and dimmer down on dash.

3. XMAN LIVE

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Okay I found a foot note in small type. “Maximum operation duration of this system is three minutes. System may not operate if the hybrid battery is under load and / or if the battery charge is low”. I believe GGood had that example in a video, in his P IV. The three minute thing lots of people are aware of this, but it does look like AC run off primary battery not solar roof. So let everyone have remote AC as an option. :)

4. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Nope, wasn't me, but yes, 3 minutes off battery if using the remote AC. Remote engine start starts engine and leaves it running for up to 10 minutes. You can then restart it for another 10 minutes. After that, you have to get in the car and start it your own damn self! ;) (won't work more than twice in a row)

5. XMAN LIVE

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You are correct, I meant HTMLSpinnr.. I think the ventilating system and AC remote may be two feature combined, to solar pack. When I buy accessory for my P V is the AC button going to work?

6. XMAN LIVE

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    When using engine start how long does the engine actual run, out of 10 or 20 min? Could you try at some point with a cold ICE and a ...somewhat charged battery? When getting in that has been started by remote what does the car do? Do I just put it in drive and go, or does engine turn off when I grab door handle? If someone breaks into car, can they put it in drive and go? Not sure if you can test this. J If thief does not have key, I would think it would not go in drive, but I don’t know. Maybe they would have ten minutes and the car shuts down, that would be funny.

7. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Actually, Toyota's lawyers are way ahead of you. The remote engine start only works if all doors are locked. After you remote start the car, it will run with whatever climate controls were set when you last turned it off, but only for up to 10 minutes. As I already said, you can repeat the restart one time only, for a total of 20 minutes (after which you have to start the car in the normal way). If you unlock the car, the engine immediately shuts down, and you have to start the car again in the usual manner (foot on brake, pushing the start button).

Personally, this auto shutoff on entry is a pain, and partially defeats my purpose for getting the remote engine start, i.e., avoiding the annoyance of my SO, who always wants the car cooled down ASAP.

FYI, you know remote engine start is working because it flashes the hazard lights for 20 seconds. Of course, you can't really see this very well in the daylight. A quick horn beep alert would have been better, IMHO.

8. XMAN LIVE

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    :) Try leaving the window down and jumping in, put foot on break and put in gear. LOL Maybe this is why Prius does not have remote control to lower and raise windows LOL..

I would still guess the engine does not run the whole time. It cycles like 3 to 5 min on \ battery the rest of the time.

9. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes, it will act exactly how it would act if you were sitting in the car when it started, i.e., run through the warm up cycle, and then turn on and off depending on how A/C was set and how much juice is in the traction batteries.

1 person likes this.
  10. XMAN LIVE

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Not as green for staying cool, but think it’s a good option for P V ATP or people that want to stay cool for a bit cheaper than the solar pack, I am sure people will use it to heat up their car also, once or twice out of the year in Houston TX. LOL. It would be cool if we could boost the distance on the remote. 100 ft sound short.

11. XMAN LIVE

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Question when getting remote engine start accessory did you get another fob? So I mean did you get two with the car and end up with a total of three keys. Added pic of yours so other can see it, is not the same as brochure.
    [​IMG]

12. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I got 2 fobs.