1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does adding a sub and amp effect milage? is it safe to do?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Lockjaw, May 28, 2007.

1. Lockjaw

Lockjaw New Member

This is my first post. Just traded in my gas guzzling Lexus GS300 for a nice shiny new red Prius. Best thing I ever did. The only complaint I have is that the stereo is a little weak, nothing that a nice subwoofer can't fix.

I have a JL single channel 250 and a JL sub (10 inch with enclosure that would fit nicely in the trunk)

lots of questions
    1- Is this going to kill my gas mileage?
    2- Am I going to screw with what seems to be a very tight control of how the car uses its electricity?
    3- The 12v battery seems to be non-standard, again, am I asking for trouble.

I was hoping to cross over from the rear speakers and adjust the bass volume by fading front to back. With the battery in the back this should be a pretty easy installation I would think. (I am a beginner still). The amp on and off could be hooked into the cigarette lighter. Am I on the right track.

thanks in advance
    Steve

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi Steve, welcome to PriusChat. You are not the first person to want a sub in your Prius, of course. Look through this forum or do a Search for sub and I'm sure most of your questions will be answered.

The Search feature is your friend. Don't post the same question multiple times, it won't get you better answers. Enjoy your new car and congratulations!

3. Lockjaw

Lockjaw New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ May 29 2007, 01:32 AM) [snapback]451335[/snapback]</div>

Thanks Bill. I actually searched the entire site and never found a definitive answer about how much, if any, loss in gas mileage you can expect from adding a sub. I can't imagine that it is drastic since the power needed to move a speaker cone has to be far less than the kinetic energy required to turn a wheel. Do you know anyone who did an A/B test on this?

All in all, this in a wonderfully designed car. Heck, I even found another secret compartment to put my junk in. The little sliding tray under the cup holder in the front arm rest.

thanks

4. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lockjaw @ May 29 2007, 04:24 AM) [snapback]451386[/snapback]</div>

There'll be a decrease with MPG with adding an amp and sub, but it is negligible. Unless you are planning on dropping a 200lb, dual-15" sub box, a decrease in fuel efficiency probably won't be noticeable with adding some entertainment goodness.

5. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You may want to search on "tom morrow".
    He has a fairly detailed breakdown of the various Prius JBL stereo components
    that may also help you understand where the limitations are.

6. Dion

Dion New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I added an amp and sub. There is about a 1-2mpg decrease when I have the amp turned on.

I added an amp and sub. There is about a 1-2mpg decrease when I have the amp turned on.