1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does adding rims and window tint void any warranty?

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Eugene Sanchez, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Eugene Sanchez

Eugene Sanchez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    So I bought a new 2015 Prius v wagon trim 4 in October 2015. I was wondering if I were to add new rims but keep same 16" tires on them. And then tint the car windows does doing so void any warranties?

Has anyone had any issues with Toyota voiding the warranty on specific parts of the car because of these add-ons?

I've also heard Toyota will only let you add rims installed at certified Toyota dealerships?

If these 2 are fine, what modifications or add-ons does should I stay away from that Toyota will absolutely void the warranty?

2. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You live in the US, so the the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act applies. It prohibits manufacturers from denying warranty claims from aftermarket parts unless the manufacturer can prove the aftermarket part damaged the part you are making the claim on.

Auto Warranties & Routine Maintenance | Consumer Information

See the paragraph Will using 'aftermarket' or recycled parts void my warranty?

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Window tint is legal or illegal under state law, you will want to understand the state law of every state you drive in.

Tint Laws

5. Drewintoledo

Drewintoledo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Many dealers have a tinting service they partner with should you request tinted windows. Jimbopalmer makes a point that some tint may be illegal. But Illegal or not, it will not affect your warranty.
    I just had my windows tinted and went through the dealer I bought my car from. They give the local tinting facility so much business and receive a mass discount that I actually had it done cheaper than I could have by shopping around on my own.
    I have the same wagon as you do and had it done for $170. The lowest other shops would go was starting at $190 and as high as $250.

6. luckyboy

luckyboy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    well if for example the window motor broke, the dealer may pin it on an installer that had to take the trim apart to access the window and then fried a wire or something. Same with rear defroster, i've seen some poor tint jobs mess that up. Otherwise you should be good on tint. As for rims, if they are same size/offset you should be okay but different offset or size may effect suspension (most of that is considered wear and tear and not under warranty anyways)

7. E. Dennis

E. Dennis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Tesla Model X
    Model:
    N/A
    No warranty problem in CA.
    Any issues that arise while under the original manufacturers new-car warranty are burdened by the manufacturer; who might presumably argue that your "add-on" product somehow caused the warrantied auto, or its parts to fail.
    Wheel upgrades and window tint won't muster such argument. Both items are often offered by your F&I closer. So....it's not like you're modifying an engine or drive train...