1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does anybody else think the PiP is overpriced ???

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by revhigh, Mar 7, 2012.

1. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In what context? I already answered NO in the context of discussion.

2. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hmmm, overpriced? Probably, the standard Prius gives you the most bang for the buck for fuel efficiency as well as environmentally, and if those two are important considerations, financially! if I had the cash to burn would I buy the PIP? In a NY second!:D

3. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Would the cash be easier to find or burn if the PiP gave you 60 EV miles ??

If the answer is 'YES' ... then I think the PiP is overpriced for what you get.

As I said earlier .... if it gave you 50-60 EV miles .... I never would have even thought of posting this thread. I'd undoubtedly be on the list waiting for mine to come in.

Thanks to all who participated for an entertaining and informative thread, and for not doing too much flaming !!! :D

REV

4. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is overly harsh and irrelevant. For any product an increase in performance and the current price, would make it easier for people to decide to buy it. So your conclusion that if they said "YES" means its overpriced is just wrong.

You may find the price to high, so for you it IS overpriced. For many others, its a good deal, which is why they are going to be selling reasonably well.

5. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

As to them selling 'reasonably well' .... That remains to be seen. 'Reasonably well' leaves a considerable amount of room for wiggling.

Of course the initial wave will sell out to early adopters who will pay a premium just to have the 'supposed' latest and greatest ... what happens after that will tell the real story. After a year ... if they're sitting on the lots in droves while regular Prii sell out due to high gas prices ... that will tell the story. Or if Toyota has to offer incentives to move them.

volts were also expected to sell 'reasonably well' ... and that just flat out hasn't happened. They've idled the plant now, AND laid off over a thousand workers. Even with an increase to $10,000 for the taxpayer funded 'tax incentive' ... they can't give them away.

Remember this ad below .... ??? Motor Trend has gotten 46.7 MPG equivalent with their long term test volt, which now has 25,000 miles on it. I get better than that with a Prius, and it cost HALF as much.

[​IMG]

REV

6. drinnovation

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 230mpg was using the formula's EPA had developed for CAFE, but not meaningful formulas.

MT does not plug it in near as much as owners might, and have take some long trips in it. The 46.7 is the MPGe.. not the actual MPG (I don't think they have reported that in their long-term updates). So they have converted electricity to gallons equiv. EPA projected MPGe is 60MPGe.

MT is tough on their cards. While you get better then the 46.7, MT only got 41 in their Prius.

If you look at voltstat.net you'll see lots of real-world milage of volt users..over 3.4Million miles they average 121mpg and 62MPGe. (Personally I get much better than that too. ) but if you want to talk real numbers, use a larger sample.

7. SuperchargedMR2

SuperchargedMR2 Diehard Rams Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    In the time it takes you to wait for AAA to show up I could change my flat with my spare & be on my way again.....time IS money. :D

8. SuperchargedMR2

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I saw 2010 Prius II models selling for $21k when they were blowing them out after the 2011 models arrived. I bought my Prius III with NAV & solar sunroof for $25500 which was $3k off MSRP with 0% interest too. :D The 2011 model was more then $29k MSRP.

9. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That is pretty unreasonable .... taking a trip in a car.

How do you know they don't plug it in ?? Do you work for MT ?

REV

10. SuperchargedMR2

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have 3 Corollas in my collection of Toyotas. I like my 09 Corolla S by far the most. It's more comfortable than my 07 & gets the best MPG at 36 mpg since I've owned it. I do prefer driving it over the Prius since I prefer a 5-speed manual any day for driving enjoyment. I will say that I love the 50 mpg numbers though of the Prius when I fill up the car.....and I agree that it's hard to see 35 mpg the same after owning a 50 mpg Prius.

I bought my 09 Corolla in 11/08 after gas first soared past $4/gal & was $4.50 here in the NW. I looked at a 2nd gen Prius but I never liked the exterior design & it was a fair amount more money then the Corolla with fewer features. I played the same numbers game between it & the Corolla to see how long it would take to make up the extra cost.

11. drinnovation

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not saying taking trips in the car is unreasonable, just that mostly long trips is not the ideal user for a Volt.

How do I know about the frequency of EV usage? I read.. and do a little math. In their update
    Long Term Chevrolet Volt: Fuel Economy Heats Up Quicker Than the Cabin - Motor Trend Blog
    1357 Miles and had used 236.09 kWr of power which puts them at well below 50% EV usage. (Third updated has less detail and no split out of %EV).

In their earlier reports
    127 MPG: The Chevy Volt Diaries - Real World Experience - Motor Trend

In their frist reports, when they average 127MPG, they were at 84%.

Of couse people can drive harder/easier, but with a PHEV, the first order impact is %EV used.. Same will be true with the PiP. Those that can get 30% EV will be seeing 70s for MPG, those only able to eek out 10% will be 55-60MPG.

12. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    So you say the PIP, at only 135 pounds lighter than the RAV4, isn't a "big chunk of steel" because its SUV class weight is OK since it's reducing our need for oil. I don't have a problem with that and I even agree but........ you see that as big minus with the Volt as you've use that talking point over and over. ;) You can't have it both ways, that's being a hypocrite.

13. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is off topic but I will respond. Prius PHV is a midsize vehicle and it's weight is within other midsizes even the non-hybrids. Volt is a compact car with it's weight in the SUV territory. It is clear which plugin is overweight.

Considering refuel time, interior size, efficiency of both fuels, very low carbon footprint, the price and cleanliness of electricity and proven track record, perhaps Prius PHV is worth it. It really depends on each individual.

1 person likes this.
  14. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My bad, I just came out of the fog, and corrected post 85...
    this was the important part ... the Volt nor PIP or Leaf suffer form this!

Tesla Roadster
    The story is that an owner let his Roadster die and left it uncharged for two months. The car then couldn’t be turned on or started, or re-charged. When the car was taken for repairs it was found that it would cost $40,000 to fix the vehicle.
    It’s stated several times in the Roadster’s owner’s manual not to leave the vehicle discharged for an extended period of time. Specifically: “Situations may arise when in which you must leave your vehicle unplugged for an extended period of time. If this is the case, it is your responsibility to ensure that the battery does not become fully depleted.” Lastly, “Over-discharge can permanently damage the battery.” While it’s clear that owner negligence caused this damage, some blame can be put on the manufacturer to have more safety measures to protect the vehicle.