1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does anybody have a good recommendation for headlight protection

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by cmergel, Jun 27, 2012.

1. cmergel

cmergel PC3 Magnetic Gray Metallic w/moonroof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I see the full protective coating, but not wanting that big expense.

I also saw the protective film that covers the headlights, that looks interesting. Has anybody tried that and had good success applying? Any other options out there?

Really enjoying the forum and the wealth of information. Amazing all the things that people are doing with their C's.

Loving my Magnetic Gray Metallic PC3 "Carbert"

2. Timw

Timw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had XPEL installed on my 2011, I had them include the headlights and mirrors. Wouldn't recommend someone trying to install the headlight protection themselves. My installer had been doing this for years and said the Prius headlights had been the hardest to install correctly in all the years he had been doing this. It took him over 2 hours to get them on straight, he was using a heat gun also. The car is flawless as far as the XPEL film, so he did a great job. I just noticed you have a "C" so all I can go on is the standard Prius.

cmergel likes this.
  3. SquallLHeart

SquallLHeart The Techie Guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    yeah.. the headlights of the C are really tricky to install film on because of the curves... and it's not impossible for a person with a bit of experience to be able to do it flawlessly...

but it's certainly something i would not recommend a beginner to attempt.

i was able to install a grey transparent film to smoke out my headlights, but with the cheap material i used, and how unforgiving it was to stretch.. even with my experience, i was not able to do it without some flaws at the edges.

though, at that point, if i had used some better material, i probably could've done it a lot better.... it was just me fiddling around really... so eventually i'll redo the thing... along with my front bumper.

cmergel likes this.
  4. SILVERCwSUN

SILVERCwSUN Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Had the entire front end, bumper, headlights, hood, mirrors, parking lights covered with XPEL which is now used instead of 3m.

The installer I have used on my truck and wifes Accord specifically mentioned not to use a heat gun on this stuff. It can cause fogging and discoloration of the the product after curing. He said the manufacturer of this product dose not endorse using a heat gun. I watched the entire process as he did the install on my C.

Agreed, this kit is not for amateurs attempting to install this kit for the first time. The bumper kit is a level 5 in difficulty. The front headlights were a little bit of a challenge as he had to get the material over the tiny bump on each headlight lens. The install turned out flawless, and I am very happy with his work.

cmergel likes this.
  5. cmergel

cmergel PC3 Magnetic Gray Metallic w/moonroof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks SILVERwSUN, SquallLHeart, and TimW. I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

6. SILVERCwSUN

SILVERCwSUN Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Anytime...glad I could help.

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Ask the installer about covering more than the headlights. For me that's the area with the fewest hits.

8. SILVERCwSUN

SILVERCwSUN Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Have a pro install the clear paint protection.

Or have a pro repaint the stone chips in 3000 miles or less. The math was easy on this one for me.

You can drive with a level of confidence that the front of you car is not being sand blasted on the highway.

Good Luck!