1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does anyone else drive with side mirrors out?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by OldArmy94, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Sporin

Sporin Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mirrors out, all the time, that's what I was taught in driver's ed back in the 80's. :)

I'm a frequent head checker also, no excuse not to flick your head and make sure if things are that tight. The Prius has very good visibility all round imo. Backing up especially since you know the bumper is just past that flat back glass.

My only issue, and I've only had the car a week, is knowing where the nose is. I can't see it and consistently am leaving 3 feet between the front plate and what I'm parking up to. :D

The Prius's super tight turning circle and short overall length really does make parking it a breeze imo.

2. LeadingEdgeBoomer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The Prius turning radius is not actually that good, at least on my V. My 2001 Audi A4 can do a 180 in a smaller space.

3. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's still good for a front wheel drive even if your Audi is better.

4. Sporin

Sporin Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Compared to my last 3 cars it's a revelation! :)

5. Friar Tuck

Friar Tuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In the UK, the legal requirement is to have at least two rear view mirrors. i.e. one centre and one side. Most have three and all drivers drive with them out. The side mirrors cover blind spots but you are also taught to look as even side mirrors have blind spots.
    I can't seem to remember driving any cars in the USA without at least two mirrors. I can't see the point in driving with the side mirrors turned in either.

6. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Mr. Friar sir, I'm not sure if you correctly interpreted the post. It's a discussion on how far to the outside the mirror should be angled - eg whether you should see the sides of the car in the side mirrors or not - not whether the mirrors themselves should be folded in. Many people drive with them angled so you can just barely see the side of the car, as this provides a better view straight back - so to shift left a lane, you look in the left mirror and your blind spot. With the mirrors angled further out, you look in the center mirror and the left mirror, and your blind spot too.

7. LatteDrinkingLiberal

LatteDrinkingLiberal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was one of the people who was taught to see the side of my own car in the mirrors and I never even thought to question it until I saw the discussion on this forum. I also always do a visual glance, just in case, but it always confirms what my mirror already showed me.

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Me too. They work great!

9. Friar Tuck

Friar Tuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Doh as Homer would say.

In that case, I adjust mine so that I can just see the sides of the car and that helps me reverse (Or as you would say-back up)

I turn my head and look when I change lanes.

My mirrors also have a little offset in them which give a slightly better wide angle view.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe in the UK, both wing mirrors are convex? For us, only the passenger side is convex, the driver's side is a flat mirror.