1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does anyone else have a blind spot...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kdmorse, Feb 6, 2006.

1. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's twice now that I have nearly slid into another car while changeing lanes to the right since buying my new Prius. (And there's just nothing like the 'eeek!' you feel inside after nearly doing so to a less than week old car - knowing full well it would be your fault).

There's just something about the back right that is a blind spot for me, if not physically, mentally. My old car was a saturn stationwagon, and for all it's faults, it had excellent visibillity in all directions. All I had to do was look rover my right shoulder to see if it was safe to slide right. It's habit - 15 years worth.

Now, I suppose I should be checking directly right, then checking the right side mirror to cover the right/back area obscured by the rear of the car. But this habit has not taken hold yet.

Anyone else having similar problems? Just me? (usually is) :)

-Ken

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I haven't noticed any really significant blind spots but that's probably because I have my outside mirrors pretty far out. See http://www.cartalk.com/content/features/mirrors for a good way to set your mirrors to minimize blind spots. It might take awhile to get use to it though.

3. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

And, it has a lot to do with the vehicle you came from...like you said. You've learned a habit based on the design of another car. Now you have to change. In another couple of months, you won't even notice it ;)

Every car has a blind spot - you are were just used to it - just as every person has one. The human eye has a blind spot in its field of vision. Its on the point of the retina where the optic nerve leads back into the brain. The retina has no light-sensitive rods or cones at this point, and so a small object in the field of vision's blind spot becomes invisible.

My wife and I always buy the little tiny bubble mirrors to stick on the outside mirrors. That helps us a lot.

4. priusblue

priusblue New Member

I have also adopted this way of setting my mirrors - and it works great! I started doing it before I got the Prius, so I haven't had any problems with blind spots. Once you think about it, it makes sense, though. The middle mirror is the rear view mirror - for things directly behind you and the side mirrors are just that! I highly recommend you try this out - it will feel weird at first. I found that I was using my side mirrors as rear view mirrors and it took a while to adjust my habits.

5. jdjeep98

jdjeep98 New Member

My wife sets the side mirrors so that I can see the side of the car when I get in! It drives me crazy! :blink:
    I have always set the side mirrors so that, just as the front of a car in the lane next to me leaves the field of vision of the REAR view mirror, it comes into view in the side mirror. As the car next to me leaves the side mirror, I can see it next to me. It pretty much covers the whole area.
    I still check by glancing over before I move over, but the mirrors cover a large portion of the rear 180 degrees.
    (I think that's what they were talking about in cartalk, but it wasn't very detailed.)

6. catsbox

catsbox Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I am vertically challenged and have noticed a blind spot. I bought blind spot mirrors for both side mirrors. Problem solved.

7. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The blind spot is there on any car. The best way as stated is to set your side mirrors for the blind spot. Use the center mirror for rearward vision. For added security it doesn't hurt to glance left or right over your shoulder also. Remember to signal first, then change lanes. In California the freeway is packed with people passing left and right and going 85MPH. Defensive driving is a must here.

8. ajdemma

ajdemma New Member

I have the same problem - A couple of near misses after 3 months of driving, and always the right rear. I drove Camrys for the last 12 years, and besides the worse visibility in the Prius, I think my Camry scanning pattern doesn't work as well with the new car. Just need to break the old habits and get used to the new picture in the Prius mirrors.

9. FBear

FBear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    As "cwerdna" suggested go to http://www.cartalk.com/content/features/mirrors . This explains very nicely how to set your mirrors to have virtually no blind spots. It does take getting use to but once you do it is absolutely wonderful. You just have to remember to reset the mirrors when somebody else drives the car and sets the mirors the old and improper way.

10. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Defensive Driving Courses in Texas teach the "no blind spot" method for setting exterior rearview mirrors. It does indeed take a little while to become accustomed to the change from the "old" way but is well worth the effort.

Simple: Exterior left mirror (driver's side): Lean your head against the driver side window and adjust the mirror so you can just see the rear edge of your car - makes the adjoining lane left of you clearly visible (and any traffic therein).

Exterior right mirror: Lean your head over the center console and adjust the right mirror the same way to make the adjoining right lane visible.

11. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I bought little rectangular stickon mirrors that have a slant to them from Bimart. They are about 1 inch X 2 Inches and rectangular.. the round bubble mirrors take up too much space on the mirror.. Why eat up space to look at the sky and the ground?"

I put them on the lower inside corner of each mirror.

They work great.

12. Spunky

Spunky New Member

Good idea, properly aligning the side windows.

In drivers' ed - too many decades ago, don't know if they teach this skill any more - we students were told to be aware of what traffic was doing in back of the car as well as up ahead. Good drivers keep track of what the cars in back are doing, by glancing in the rear view mirror at regular intervals. I'm typically aware of "the red car in the right lane coming up too fast, I bet he's gonna come up on the bumper of the car I just passed and then flit in back of me" and "the white van that just got on the freeway, in front of the motorcyclist".

Before signalling a lane change to the right, I can look up and check where those vehicles are and decide if it's clear for me to initiate a maneuver. Then I turn on the signal, check the side mirrors, glance over my shoulder, etc.

13. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

Hey - those bubble mirrors work great when you have a T-Rex chasing you!!!

14. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Yea.... I hate it when that happens!

15. notsure

notsure New Member

I've set my mirrors that way for years, it works very well.

16. jdjeep98

jdjeep98 New Member

"Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear." :huh: :eek: :blink:

17. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

I was looking around for a picture to add to that post but couldn't find any. I know they're out there. Help anyone???

18. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Nice Avatar!.... Good job! :lol:

19. Ken Cooper

Ken Cooper New Member

An insurance company brochure states the following:

. For the left mirror, place your head against the glass and adjust so you can just barely see the back left side of the car.

. For the right mirror, center your head over the center console and adjust so you can just see the back right side of the car.

I've been doing this for years and it really works, especially on the right side. On the left side I don't quite trust my mirror to see all because when I've turned to look back before changing lanes, I've been surprised a couple of times.

20. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I am with windstrings on this one.
    I always have little convex mirrors (round ones in my case) on all my vehicles' (large or small) side mirrors. My wife and I are so used to them. It makes me nervous if I have to drive a vehicle (such as loaner cars) w/o them. Never have any near-miss so far. Inside lower corner is the best as windstrings said.